What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went into Cardiff to see a friend at work and passed by Fopp's Cardiff branch. So I had a look round and bought this

barkays~~~~_moneytalk_101b.jpg

Glad it was cheap! It's v funky, but not inordinately interesting. I was listening to it on the bus back home and fell asleep! Though that might have been the hot sun and the heater being just underneath me.

MG

Some Japanese CDs arrived this week:

George Gruntz 'Noon in Tunisia' (Saba/MPS, 1967)

0000498553.jpg

Sahib Shihab, Jean-Luc Ponty, George Gruntz, Eberhard Weber, Daniel Humair, Salah El Mahdi, The Beduins.

Whoa--Sahib Shihab? How is this?

Apparently, I haven't opened this thread since posting here in May... :rsly:

Anyway, it's a fascinating album. Shihab fits well with "The Beduins" et al. For once a synthesis between jazz and ethnic music which is not simply jazz with a wooden flute. More "ethnic" than "jazzy".

Shihab is an underrated master--lots of good stuff to be found (and not the hokey, forced sort of world jazz--this is real deal material... I may name Don Cherry's more 'western' excursions in the same breath).

Today:

Arcana: The Last Wave

Philip Cohran and the Artistic Heritage Ensemble

Cecil Taylor Quartet: Looking Ahead!

Byard Lancaster: It's Not Up to Us

Paid a short visit to a record convention today. Nothing special except for that booth where people were selling a collection of various records which belonged to a recently deceased lady. The lady oviously had excellent taste and among her valuable records were a couple of dozen of Mosaix boxes.

In the lot there was the Buck Clayton Columbia sessions set that I had been looking for from the day it became unavailable. The box was mint. Got it for €50 ($60). Would have prefered the vinyl but was happy to grab the CD one.

Other boxes included a number of OOP sets including the three Commodore boxes for quite reasonable prices.

Great prize for the Buck Clayton! I paid around 100$ for the LP version, alas I play LPs all too rarely, but it's beautiful!

Bought the Jelly Roll Box for 20€ - full prize was around 110 or more, but I've been shopping a lot, so the 10% discount I could cashed in was really helpful :g

Paid a short visit to a record convention today. Nothing special except for that booth where people were selling a collection of various records which belonged to a recently deceased lady. The lady oviously had excellent taste and among her valuable records were a couple of dozen of Mosaix boxes.

Mosaic had a lady customer? Astounding! I thought women had more sense than the rest of us.

MG

Shihab is an underrated master--lots of good stuff to be found (and not the hokey, forced sort of world jazz--this is real deal material... I may name Don Cherry's more 'western' excursions in the same breath).

I agree completely. Shihab doesn't have a thread of his own here; someone ought to do something about it one of these days... :)

Some CDs arrived in the mail today:

Yoh Yamada 'In the Pleasant Shade' (Alfa, 1998)

786504.jpg

Yoh Yamada (as); Cyrus Chestnut (p); George Mraz (b); Billy Drummond (dr)

Dick Hyman 'Brasilian Impressions' (Command, 1966)

5003.jpg

Dick Hyman with a predictable line-up of 60s studio musicians (as Romeo Penque :) )

David Hazeltine 'Alfie' (Venus Records, 2006)

343.jpg

David Hazeltine (p); David Williams (b); Joe Farnsworth (dr)

Jackie McLean 'A Fickle Sonance' (BN, 1961)

B00004X0QM.01._AA182_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The TOCJ-4089; more easy on the ear than the USRVG.

Renee Rosnes 'Renee Rosnes With The Danish Radio Big Band' (BN, 2001)

0724359079929.jpg

Unfortunately, it's a Cactus Datashield non-CD. Since Caiman ships from the US I though it would turn out differently, but alas... My first copy controlled CD of any kind.

Geoffrey Keezer 'Sublime - Honoring the Music of hank Jones' (Telarc, 2002)

B000096FUB.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Keezer in piano duets with Kenny Barron, Chick Corea, Benny Green and Mulgrew Miller. Keezer is not one of favorites, but some of the other pianists are. Aside from Hank Jones, of course!

jazzos.com

Giuffre Jimmy, Bley Paul, Swallow Steve - The life of a trio: Saturday (OWL

14731)

Giuffre Jimmy, Bley Paul, Swallow Steve - The life of a Trio: Sunday (OWL

14735)

Roach Max, Taylor Cecil - Historic Concerts (2CD) (Soul Note 121100)

Braxton Anthony - Six Monk's Compositions (Black Saint 120116)

Zorn John - Voodoo (Black Saint 120109)

Motian Paul - Misterioso (Soul Note 121174)

Roach Max, Braxton Anthony - Birth And Rebirth (Black Saint 120024)

Haden Charlie, Motian Paul, Allen Geri - Etudes (Soul Note 121162)

Blake Ran - Epistrophy (Soul Note 121177)

http://www.fmp-online.de/

Peter Kowald: Was Da Ist

Cecil Taylor: The Tree Of life

forums.allaboutjazz.com

Almost a mint copy of Keith Jarrett's Mysteries box set (1975-1976).

These should keep my busy for a while.Not any new purchases until Christmas :( (most likely)

Edited by Swinger

- BOOKER LITTLE (F. BOOKER ERVIN): NEW YORK SESSIONS (LONEHILLJAZZ)

- URS LEIMGRUBER: STATEMENT OF AN ANTIRIDER (hat ART)

- MORTON FELDMAN: FOR JOHN CAGE (PAUL ZUKOFSKY & MARIANNE SCHROEDER) (CP2)

Edited by P.L.M

Turned up in the post yesterday morning.

B00006RSNF.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Amazing compilation of HEAVY FUNK from Ghanaian bands most of whom I'd never heard of. The BOOTY-BUTT-EST music ever! (And there's a volume 2!)

Many thanks to Rod for this recommendation!

MG

WOW! I was just checking out some of those samples. Gotta pick this up pronto.

I've been buying a lot of 70's music recently, including:

Charles Tolliver - Impact (Enja-remastered). A terrific live set recorded in Germany in 1972.

Ted Curson with the George Arvanitas Trio - Pop Wine (Futura). Recorded in Paris in 1971 & MUCH better than I'd hoped for.

I'm still awaiting delivery of the 'live' Dizzy Reece CD on Futura - 'From In to Out'. I expect this to be another good 'un!

Also been buying a lot of Henry Threadgill including a great session from 1982 - 'When was that?'

Finally, I got the new 'Atomic' CD in the post today, 'Happy New Ears'. Another great recording.