What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sale at a local independent store got me used cutouts of 2 of the lastest RVGs.

Ike Quebec - It Might As Well Be Spring

Kenny Dorham - Trompeta Toccata

Each was $5.56. The had Another Workout but that's incoming from deepdiscountcd (meanwhile no word on the Griffin from them.)

I've noticed for the past year the latest RVGs appearing as used cutouts at 2 of our independents usually for about $7. Yet another thing to factor in when deciding to pre-order or wait for yourmusic.

these cds from "saturn" each for 3 $:

- the mizell brothers - sky high - blue note compilation (much better than the current best of mizell cd)

- nat king cole - night lights - capitol (his lost 1956 album)

- sister rosetta tharpe - gospel train (mercury card box cd)

- marc antoine - madrid - grp cd

zzgoodgodagospelfunkh_101b.jpg

Be interesting to see what you think, Jim.

I know that Rance Allen's been well covered by Fantasy reissues. I have some Violinaires, but not that one. I'd love to hear it!

This is definitely a niche-product, whose purpose seems to be to collect/issue stuff that nobody else would. Hell, most people probably don't even know about it. I wish that Gospel would get the quality reissuing that it so richly deserves, but until it does, I'll take whatever I can get, by whoever puts it out.

If I get what I'm expecting, I'll be getting a collection of mostly "local" acts whose passion might well exceed their skill. I'm ok with that, especially with Gospel music, where the passion is really the object of the game. There's probably going to be gems and duds side-by-side, and not necessarily in a favorable ratio. I'm ok with that too, because with this type of compiling, getting access to the gems is really the object of the game.

This is a good set to get if you're into "obsucurities", and enjoy pondering the stories of the people who came to make records such as these. There's also some really good music here as well. Nothing "essential", but very, very few duds.

Far from "essential", but definitely enjoyable, and at many levels.

zzgoodgodagospelfunkh_101b.jpg

Be interesting to see what you think, Jim.

I know that Rance Allen's been well covered by Fantasy reissues. I have some Violinaires, but not that one. I'd love to hear it!

This is definitely a niche-product, whose purpose seems to be to collect/issue stuff that nobody else would. Hell, most people probably don't even know about it. I wish that Gospel would get the quality reissuing that it so richly deserves, but until it does, I'll take whatever I can get, by whoever puts it out.

If I get what I'm expecting, I'll be getting a collection of mostly "local" acts whose passion might well exceed their skill. I'm ok with that, especially with Gospel music, where the passion is really the object of the game. There's probably going to be gems and duds side-by-side, and not necessarily in a favorable ratio. I'm ok with that too, because with this type of compiling, getting access to the gems is really the object of the game.

This is a good set to get if you're into "obsucurities", and enjoy pondering the stories of the people who came to make records such as these. There's also some really good music here as well. Nothing "essential", but very, very few duds.

Far from "essential", but definitely enjoyable, and at many levels.

Looks like it came up trumps!

Since you were keen to hear the Violinaires "Groovin' with Jesus", I thought I'd do a tape of late '60s-mid '80s Gospel groups, if you're interested and can play cassettes. It won't ALL be funky; some of the best stuff is always going to be slow and very soulful. (All this stuff is on vinyl, so I can't yet put it on CD, something I need to correct before it's my turn in the BFT barrel.)

PM me if you're interested.

MG