BFT 237 Reveal

felser

BFT 237 Reveal – thanks to all who participated!

1 - Alvin Cash & The Crawlers – “Twine Time”     Mar-v-lus Records 45 - 1964

This funky masterpiece reached #14 on the pop charts and #4 on the R&B charts in 1965.  I latched onto it when I first started listening to the radio on my own, and it’s slinky meters caught my 10 year old ears immediately.  Largely forgotten now outside of Northern Soul circles, but it needs to be heard and appreciated!

2 - Ralph Bowen – “Rahsaan's Run” from the album “Five” Criss Cross Records-2008

Excellent version of the great Woody Shaw composition.  Love the drumming by the little-known Dana Hall!

3 - Allen Lowe – “Out to Brunch” from the album ‘In The Dark’ ESP-Disk - 2023

Fun cut from Allen’s recent epic 3-CD set.  Great tribute to Dolphy, right down to the title.  The "vibes" solo was played on synthesizer by the very talented Lewis Porter. 

4 - Marion Brown – “Terra” from the album ‘Offering’  Venus Records – 1993

Beautiful cut from the great alto saxophonist.  The whole album is stunning.  I remember how surprised I was by his stylistic change in the mid-70’s on ‘Vista’, but it paid great dividends on that gem and going forward.

5 - Jackie Cain & Roy Kral – “Open” from the album ‘Grass’  Capitol Records-1968

I don’t expect this to necessarily be a popular cut, and it wasn’t, but I love it, and it is so far afield of what we would expect from the storied Jackie & Roy team that I thought it might open some ears and surprise some people.  1968 did a lot of unusual things to a lot of jazz musicians.

6 -  Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – “Time Will Tell” from the album ‘Gypsy Folk Tales’                   Roulette Records  - 1977

A beautiful and grossly underrated album.  The jazz world’s introduction to Bobby Watson, who wrote this gorgeous piece and other beauties on here and was the musical director of the group.  Great playing and writing by Walter Davis Jr. on this album, and strong work by Dave Schnitter and Valery Ponomerev.

7 - Charles Mingus – “Opus 4” from the album ‘Mingus Moves’ Atlantic Records – 1974

Another extremely underrated album, which gave wider exposure to George Adams and Don Pullen.  Often overlooked, as soon thereafter Jack Walrath joined in and the two fabulous ‘Changes’ albums resulted, but this album holds its own in that illustrious company, though in a slightly more muted way.  The writing is extremely strong and consistent here, and the playing is inspired.

8 - Roy Ayers – “The Ringer” from ‘Virgo Vibes’ Atlantic Records – 1967

Strong performance of the Charles Tolliver gem on this classic album.  Tolliver, Joe Henderson, Reggie Workman, and Herbie Hancock (under an alias) all onboard.

9 - The Nineteenth Whole – “You Caught Me Smilin' “ from ‘Smilin’  Eastbound Records-1972

One of two cuts on this BFT that an ID by anyone would surprise me, yet it was ID’d.  This group featured Billy Wooten and Emmanuel Riggins, who were playing in Grant Green’s group in that era, as well as Cornell Dupree and others.  Song is a Sly Stone composition from his 1971 downer album ‘There’s a Riot Going On’

10 - Phil Farris – “Sun Sound (Summer)” from ‘Sun Sound’ Posi-Tone Records – 1996

I don’t know anything else about him and would have been shocked if anyone had gotten this this (though I expected it to generate all sorts of interesting guesses), but I love the album.  Picked it up in a mass purchase from another board member, and it’s one of my favorite discoveries of the past couple of years.  I especially like the piano playing on this cut.

11 - Julie Driscoll/Brian Auger & The Trinity - Flesh Failures (Let The Sunshine In)  from   ‘Streetnoise’ Atco Records – 1969

This 2LP set was a favorite album from my teenage years.  The cut here is a song from the 60’s play ‘Hair’, which produced so many amazing songs.  ‘Hair’ was the soundtrack of 1969 in a lot of ways, given the proliferation of cover versions which were big hits that year.  Auger is a fabulous organ player, and Driscoll is a fascinating vocalist who has been a critic’s darling for decades.  This group had a huge #3 UK hit in 1968 with a cover of Dylan’s enigmatic “This Wheel’s on Fire”.

12-Hugh Masekela – “Inner Crisis” from ‘Home is Where the Music Is’ Chisa/Blue Thumb Records – 1972.

Excellent 1972 double album includes this wonderful Larry Willis composition.  Willis and Eddie Gomez join Dudu Pakwana and Masekela on this set.   This is the last Masekela album that really reached me musically.

Great BFT, thanks John

Looking back at my initial comments I see it was 3, 8, 9 and 12 that really piqued my interest

Your recent comment about no.3 made me wonder that it could be Allen Lowe. I'm intrigued to hear more of that album.

I have 8 and 12 but obviously don't listen to them enough or closely enough

And 9 is just a great discovery

Happy New Year!

6 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Great BFT, thanks John

Looking back at my initial comments I see it was 3, 8, 9 and 12 that really piqued my interest

Your recent comment about no.3 made me wonder that it could be Allen Lowe. I'm intrigued to hear more of that album.

I have 8 and 12 but obviously don't listen to them enough or closely enough

And 9 is just a great discovery

Happy New Year!

Thanks Mark, yes, by the end I was trying to give away that #3 was Allen.  Wishing you and yours a happy new year and blessed 2024!

Thanks, John. Always enjoy your customary December BFTs.

Given the hint, I should have spent some time sleuthing #3, and regret not thinking of Allen. But I don't like to sleuth early in the month, and in late Dec. I got busy with other things and forgot about the issue. But I'm glad I didn't waste time investigating #10, because it would surely have gotten nowhere.

4 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Thanks, John. Always enjoy your customary December BFTs.

Given the hint, I should have spent some time sleuthing #3, and regret not thinking of Allen. But I don't like to sleuth early in the month, and in late Dec. I got busy with other things and forgot about the issue. But I'm glad I didn't waste time investigating #10, because it would surely have gotten nowhere.

Thanks T.D., have a great new years!

30 minutes ago, danasgoodstuff said:

I love this clip of Alvin Cash & the Crawlers doing Twine Time live, music is canned but the dancing is live.

The Crawlers were actually the dancers.  The musicians were the Registers.

23 minutes ago, Big Al said:

This was such an enjoyable BFT! Yours usually are, John, and this was no exception! I listened to "You Caught Me Smilin'" so much in December it now feels like a Christmas song! 😂

Thanks Big Al, a blessed 2024 to you and your family!

Wow, John, this was fantastic. As always with your tests, I know have a long list of things to dig into further. So many good things here. That Allen Lowe track is KILLER. Definitely gonna check out more of that. Not to mention the Mingus, Blakey, Ayers, Nineteenth Whole, Phil Farris... oh, and I OWN that Masekela record. Thought it sounded familiar! <slaps forehead>

Also happy to learn the drummer on #2-- I am familiar with Dana Hall and have seen him play a few times in Chicago. Great, underrated player!

Thanks again, a most excellent selection!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, webbcity said:

Wow, John, this was fantastic. As always with your tests, I know have a long list of things to dig into further. So many good things here. That Allen Lowe track is KILLER. Definitely gonna check out more of that. Not to mention the Mingus, Blakey, Ayers, Nineteenth Whole, Phil Farris... oh, and I OWN that Masekela record. Thought it sounded familiar! <slaps forehead>

Also happy to learn the drummer on #2-- I am familiar with Dana Hall and have seen him play a few times in Chicago. Great, underrated player!

Thanks Tim!  This album was my first conscious notice of Dana Hall.  I was mightily impressed!  Researching further, I see that he plays on some Malachi Thompson discs I own.  I'll need to circle back and listen to those.

Edited by felser

On 1/4/2024 at 10:19 AM, webbcity said:

thank you. I did spend 20 years in Maine without a gig....

• 2 weeks later...