BFT 238 Discussion

Dan Gould

8 minutes ago, tkeith said:

Track 12 - Can't be what it sounds like to me.  "Nothing you can do can tear me away from my guy."  Jug-adjacent tenor, with what sounds like a lesser rhythm section.  Is this one of your Percy Faith inclusions?   I assume you meant to type Percy France as I wouldn't know where to begin in my extensive Percy Faith section of the stacks. This song was a major hit for Nat Cole 12 years before "My Guy".

Saw that and fixed it, but you must've got there before I did.  I think my fingers got ahead of my brain on that one -- it happens.

I figured it did but I had to joke about my extensive Percy Faith collection. ;)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. I was thinking Gerald Wilson until the scat vocal.  Pretty sure it's not Jon Hendricks or even Mel Torme.  Not Diz or Joe Carroll.
2. Bass sound puts this late 70's or later, probably much later.  It's so out front that this may be the bass player's date.  Ray Brown?  The solo traded fours about 5 minutes are great
3. Oliver Nelson?  I like the skronky tenor comments just after the opening theme.
4. Liking Sonny Rollins more than Dexter Gordon as a guess.
5. Maybe Art Tatum and Sweets Edison on Pablo?  No, it's live.
6. Not thinking of any sessions with Kenny Dorham and a baritone at this time.
7. The pre-JOS organ sound.  I'll go with Bill Doggett over Milt Buckner.  Could be a later Black and Blue session.
8. Now's the Time aka The Hucklebuck.  Tenor led, so not Bird.  Johnny Griffin and Lockjaw?
9. A bit of calypso feel.  If it isn't Sonny Rollins, it's someone who went to school on him.
10. Is it Bird or is it Stitt?  Maybe even Charles McPherson.  I think Stitt.
11. A Night in Tunisia.  Gene Harris on Concord?
12. Could this be from the first couple disks of the Curtis Amy Mosaic Select
13. Excellent tenor plays Misty.  Getz and Barron?

1 hour ago, randyhersom said:

1. I was thinking Gerald Wilson until the scat vocal.  Pretty sure it's not Jon Hendricks or even Mel Torme.  Not Diz or Joe Carroll. Those are all not present.
2. Bass sound puts this late 70's or later, probably much later.  It's so out front that this may be the bass player's date.  Ray Brown?  The solo traded fours about 5 minutes are great Finally, SOMEONE likes this track.   Not the bass player's date, not Ray.
3. Oliver Nelson?  I like the skronky tenor comments just after the opening theme. Sngrey got this one.
4. Liking Sonny Rollins more than Dexter Gordon as a guess. Also a Sngrey ID.  The tenor would be very surprised at those two comparisons.
5. Maybe Art Tatum and Sweets Edison on Pablo?  No, it's live. Much younger than those two.
6. Not thinking of any sessions with Kenny Dorham and a baritone at this time. Not KD; its a well-known group in an odd configuration.  I'll probably fill out that hint later.
7. The pre-JOS organ sound.  I'll go with Bill Doggett over Milt Buckner.  Could be a later Black and Blue session. Another sngrey get and you were not wrong in the Black & Blue in terms of group members.
8. Now's the Time aka The Hucklebuck.  Tenor led, so not Bird.  Johnny Griffin and Lockjaw? There's tenor, alto and trumpet. None are Griffin or Jaws. Tenor was ID'd.
9. A bit of calypso feel.  If it isn't Sonny Rollins, it's someone who went to school on him. Well it isn't Rollins. Thom got this.
10. Is it Bird or is it Stitt?  Maybe even Charles McPherson.  I think Stitt. No, no and No. 
11. A Night in Tunisia.  Gene Harris on Concord? No, and not feeling that one at all.
12. Could this be from the first couple disks of the Curtis Amy Mosaic Select This guess is not bad for time period and general tenor/organ combo but it's not.
13. Excellent tenor plays Misty.  Getz and Barron? Nope and it's an alto.

Thanks Randy, you are always ready to put a name on a tune and that's appreciated. I hope some of the tunes were enjoyed?

1. Dizzy Gillespie "Watermelon Man?"
2 thru 4 were groovy little jam sessions I thoroughly enjoyed listening to but I honestly didn't realize I'd listened to all three of them until track 5 started.
5. Gotta be the Duke on piano
6. If that's not Art Blakey on drums, I will gladly hand over my lifetime membership in the Art Blakey Fanboy Society. And then I will attempt to find this slab of vinyl as penance.
7. Gonna guess Wild Bill Davis. I'm probably not even in the right decade.
8. Well, it took me all afternoon to remember this is "Now's the Time" and not "The Hucklebuck." I think I have this at the house but haven't listened to it in years. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna kick myself once I find out the answer.
9. Another tune I should know the name of but I don't. Is it Sonny Rollins?
10. Okay, this is just torture: I routinely hear THIS EXACT VERSION in my head but I can never identify it! So, I'm just gonna go ahead and play the Bird card and say this is Charlie Parker so y'all can go ahead and laugh at me. As you should. I probably have this at home somewhere, too.
11. A Night in Tunisia. There, I can finally name that tune. I have no idea who this is but at least I know the tune. You'd never know I've been listening to jazz for the last 30 years...
12. Yet another tune I should know and probably have at home and the fact I can't ID any of it genuinely concerns me that my memory is leaving me.

Highly enjoyable BFT, Dan! Nice way to start the BFT year!

On 1/7/2024 at 8:09 PM, Dan Gould said:

I figured it did but I had to joke about my extensive Percy Faith collection. ;)

I hope you're serious here. I LOVE Percy Faith! Likely not to the extent you do but I have all his Christmas albums and some of his latin-flavored records. 😃

8 hours ago, Big Al said:

I hope you're serious here. I LOVE Percy Faith! Likely not to the extent you do but I have all his Christmas albums and some of his latin-flavored records. 😃

No it was entirely in jest.

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yeah umm  no. 

https://www.101soundboards.com/sounds/286768-those-we-would-find-acceptable-here-would-include-lawrence-welk-jim-nabors-mantovani-percy

9 hours ago, Big Al said:

1. Dizzy Gillespie "Watermelon Man?" Nope.
2 thru 4 were groovy little jam sessions I thoroughly enjoyed listening to but I honestly didn't realize I'd listened to all three of them until track 5 started.
5. Gotta be the Duke on piano The Duke died 7 years before this pianist started recording.
6. If that's not Art Blakey on drums, I will gladly hand over my lifetime membership in the Art Blakey Fanboy Society. And then I will attempt to find this slab of vinyl as penance. Correct it is Blakey.  I thought others would ID him first but you are the one. Earlier Sngrey ID'd Lee Morgan. So that marks some progress ...
7. Gonna guess Wild Bill Davis. I'm probably not even in the right decade. Not Wild Bill Davis but in fact the recording of this tune did feature Davis on organ and it was the same decade as this audio-lifted-from-video performance. Sngrey posted a link to the source.
8. Well, it took me all afternoon to remember this is "Now's the Time" and not "The Hucklebuck." I think I have this at the house but haven't listened to it in years. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna kick myself once I find out the answer. Impossible to have listened to this performance for "years".
9. Another tune I should know the name of but I don't. Is it Sonny Rollins? Not Rollins.
10. Okay, this is just torture: I routinely hear THIS EXACT VERSION in my head but I can never identify it! So, I'm just gonna go ahead and play the Bird card and say this is Charlie Parker so y'all can go ahead and laugh at me. As you should. I probably have this at home somewhere, too. No not Bird. I would think that the recording would suggest a much more recent date.
11. A Night in Tunisia. There, I can finally name that tune. I have no idea who this is but at least I know the tune. You'd never know I've been listening to jazz for the last 30 years...
12. Yet another tune I should know and probably have at home and the fact I can't ID any of it genuinely concerns me that my memory is leaving me. 

You skipped a track here so I am not sure if this is a reaction to not remembering "Misty" - in which case I would be concerned about memory issues- or if you didn't get "Walkin' My Baby Back Home" which I think only a hardcore Nat Cole fan would automatically recognize.

Highly enjoyable BFT, Dan! Nice way to start the BFT year!

Thanks Big Al, glad you joined in the fun!

19 hours ago, JSngry said:

Music to my ears! :g

Not sure how I missed commenting on track 12. I liked it enough. On second listen, the guitarist reminds me of Wes.

Not knowing "Misty" by its name is still a source of frustration for me.

On 1/10/2024 at 7:40 PM, Dan Gould said:

Thanks Randy, you are always ready to put a name on a tune and that's appreciated. I hope some of the tunes were enjoyed?

Very much so.  I sleuthed Fungii Mama with a Google Search and streamed the album.  If I compare a player to Tatum, I'm definitely not saying they suck!  Anyway good session from younger players that left us too soon.

I pronounce this a no clinkers BFT.

4 minutes ago, randyhersom said:

Very much so.  I sleuthed Fungii Mama with a Google Search and streamed the album.  If I compare a player to Tatum, I'm definitely not saying they suck!  Anyway good session from younger players that left us too soon.

I pronounce this a no clinkers BFT.

Awesome to hear!

I conceived of Fungii Mama as a potential gimme because I thought the release would have caught some listeners here.  I enjoyed the whole set ... and when I settled on Minor Move, then I had to program the Blue Mitchell cover next.

I didn't read others' responses.

1) Got that mid-60's go-go vibe.  Weird mix of Sidewinder, harpsichord (actually low-quality piano), Archie Bell, and too-loud congas.  It also sounds a wee-bit fast, like the tape sped up.  Saxist is a bit frantic, trumpet tries to mellow the pace.  I wish the scatter hadn't.

2) A baritone is always welcome.  Pepper Adams?  The way the trumpet swaggers makes me think it's his gig.  Nothing really memorable, but it is energetic.  My guess is mid-'70's on Muse.

3) Electric piano, electric bass.  My guess is the alto was told during his first chorus "Cut the shit and play."  Soprano is into snake-charmer music; wish he were into jazz.  Trumpeter is pretty normal, and is a welcome relief.  Was this some sort of mini big band, like Louis Bellson or Buddy Rich?

4) Bossa.  I know this tune.  Tenor is in command.  Nice tone.  I like this.  Sounds a little like Dexter, but it's not him (too on the beat).  Bass is nicely locked in.  I'm thinking Johnny Griffin.

5) I know this tune, but not with just trumpet and piano.  Is this Dizzy and Oscar?  From the mid-'60's?  I liked the conversation between the two musicians.

6) Drummer sounds like Jimmy Cobb.  I liked this; trumpet-bari combos always sound nice.  And brevity!

7) Pretty dreary.  Not a lot of inspiration going on.  I'm gonna guess Groove Holmes.

8. Now's The Time, jam session.  Tenor is lively, alto also good, trumpet OK.  Predictable but enjoyable.  Sounds like a JATP show.

9) Another tune I recognize: My Little Suede Shoes.  Is this Dexter?  I like the band.  Any tune with an "I Ain't Mad At You" quote is OK.

10) Groovin' High.  Interesting wow and flutter on the piano; private recording?  No idea who they are.  Respectable rendition of the tune.

11) Night In Tunisia.  Not the most interesting version, but serviceable.  I liked the bassist.  This almost sounds like Bill Evans trying to play bebop.

12) Sounds like a scratchy 45.  Tenor out of the Hawk school.  Organ sounds like Milt Buckner.  They're having a good time.  Bartender, bring me another!

13) Misty.  Thoughtful rendition, if a little maudlin.  The pianist tries to come up with something new to say, but doesn't quite make it.  Is the alto Lee Konitz?

10 hours ago, mjzee said:

I didn't read others' responses.

1) Got that mid-60's go-go vibe.  Weird mix of Sidewinder, harpsichord (actually low-quality piano), Archie Bell, and too-loud congas.  It also sounds a wee-bit fast, like the tape sped up.  Saxist is a bit frantic, trumpet tries to mellow the pace.  I wish the scatter hadn't. I understand the sentiment.

2) A baritone is always welcome.  Pepper Adams?  The way the trumpet swaggers makes me think it's his gig.  Nothing really memorable, but it is energetic.  My guess is mid-'70's on Muse. Not Pepper, not Muse but the trumpet's name is the largest on the record cover.

3) Electric piano, electric bass.  My guess is the alto was told during his first chorus "Cut the shit and play."  Soprano is into snake-charmer music; wish he were into jazz.  Trumpeter is pretty normal, and is a welcome relief.  Was this some sort of mini big band, like Louis Bellson or Buddy Rich? I totally do not believe we have an electric piano or bass. The total number of musicians is 14, does that make it a mini? Sangrey got this one.

4) Bossa.  I know this tune.  Tenor is in command.  Nice tone.  I like this.  Sounds a little like Dexter, but it's not him (too on the beat).  Bass is nicely locked in.  I'm thinking Johnny Griffin. Also this, and it's not Griff but Felser had a new fave tenor.

5) I know this tune, but not with just trumpet and piano.  Is this Dizzy and Oscar?  From the mid-'60's?  I liked the conversation between the two musicians. Randy figured it out without posting.  Since you enjoyed, I heartily recommend the CD.

6) Drummer sounds like Jimmy Cobb.  I liked this; trumpet-bari combos always sound nice.  And brevity! Big Al has the drummer, and Sangrey got the trumpet. 

7) Pretty dreary.  Not a lot of inspiration going on.  I'm gonna guess Groove Holmes. Really not getting "dreary" out of this tune or performance. I can buy someone thinking "corny" but how can something like this be dreary is beyond me.

8. Now's The Time, jam session.  Tenor is lively, alto also good, trumpet OK.  Predictable but enjoyable.  Sounds like a JATP show.

9) Another tune I recognize: My Little Suede Shoes.  Is this Dexter?  I like the band.  Any tune with an "I Ain't Mad At You" quote is OK. Thom got this one.

10) Groovin' High.  Interesting wow and flutter on the piano; private recording?  No idea who they are.  Respectable rendition of the tune.

11) Night In Tunisia.  Not the most interesting version, but serviceable.  I liked the bassist.  This almost sounds like Bill Evans trying to play bebop. It is someone you wouldn't expect to cover a bebop standard.

12) Sounds like a scratchy 45.  Tenor out of the Hawk school.  Organ sounds like Milt Buckner.  They're having a good time.  Bartender, bring me another!

13) Misty.  Thoughtful rendition, if a little maudlin.  The pianist tries to come up with something new to say, but doesn't quite make it.  Is the alto Lee Konitz? Not Konitz. 

Thanks for joining in the fun, Mark.

3 minutes ago, randyhersom said:

Could #1 be the Clayton Brothers?

No.  (And that strikes me as a little off the wall given the three-horn frontline unless you were thinking one of the larger bands. Anyway ... nope. Recorded several years before their earliest effort.)

4 minutes ago, randyhersom said:

I was mainly thinking of who the vocalist could be.

I didn't even know their larger group efforts included a vocalist. 

First clue of the month then:

The vocalist on number 1 is one of the soloists.