Joe Harriott - In A Sentimental Mood

romualdo

just found this wonderful rendition of "In A Sentimental Mood" by Joe Harriott with The Stan Tracey Big Brass (1969) - is this the same version from the Columbia LP "We Love You Madly"? - sounds like it. Apparantly this is the only known live footage of Joe.

also, a few Harriott related clippings from newspapers

https://galacticramble.blogspot.com/search/label/Joe Harriott

15 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Thanks for this!  I know Harriott only through his Indo-Jazz albums (which I LOVE, incidentally).  What other albums do you recommend by him?  

Free FormAbstract, Hum Dono with early material on the double CD compilation Killer Joe

plus Michael Garrick Quintet (October Woman) & Septet (Black Marigolds)

18 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Thanks for this!  I know Harriott only through his Indo-Jazz albums (which I LOVE, incidentally).  What other albums do you recommend by him?  

Start here:

image.jpeg.cc9e93cb3951c50254d7753e5d7b06e0.jpeg

On 1/12/2024 at 8:45 AM, romualdo said:

just found this wonderful rendition of "In A Sentimental Mood" by Joe Harriott with The Stan Tracey Big Brass (1969) - is this the same version from the Columbia LP "We Love You Madly"? - sounds like it. Apparantly this is the only known live footage of Joe.

also, a few Harriott related clippings from newspapers

https://galacticramble.blogspot.com/search/label/Joe Harriott

The footage is from the BBC show to celebrate Duke's 70th. I've got the feeling that the recording per the LP was done separately at Lansdowne. Same music, featured artists and band though.

Don't  forget 'Movement' and 'High Spirits' as well. Very rare LPs, put out on CD by Dutton Vocalion.

Edited by sidewinder

12 hours ago, sidewinder said:

The footage is from the BBC show to celebrate Duke's 70th. I've got the feeling that the recording per the LP was done separately at Lansdowne. Same music, featured artists and band though.

Don't  forget 'Movement' and 'High Spirits' as well. Very rare LPs, put out on CD by Dutton Vocalion.

Dutton Vocalion has released a swathe of Harriott related material (on CD & one LP) but unfortunately all that's left is the High Spirits/Movement twofer & The Don Carlos Orch

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=2CDSML8486

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDNJT5324

Harriott - Movement/High Spirits (Quintet)

Harriott & Amancio D'Silva - Hum Dono (CD & LP)  One of the essential UK jazz releases

Michael Garrick - Poetry & Jazz In Concert/Before Night-Day (Quintet), October Woman (Quintet), Black Marigolds (Septet), Promises (Sextet)

Tony Kinsey Quintet - Jazz At The Flamingo

Lita Roza with The Tony Kinsey Quartet - Listening In The After-Hours

George Chisholm - Chis: The Art Of George Chisholm (octet)

Melody Maker All Stars - Presenting Kenny Graham

Don Carlos Orchestra - Crazy Latin

On 1/13/2024 at 4:26 PM, sidewinder said:

Strange label, Dutton Vocalion. Used to release a lot of interesting jazz, Deram etc. but seems to be totally scaled back now. I would have thought keeping Hum Dono in print would be a money spinner but it has disappeared from the catalogue. Owners retiring perhaps?

4 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

Strange label, Dutton Vocalion. Used to release a lot of interesting jazz, Deram etc. but seems to be totally scaled back now. I would have thought keeping Hum Dono in print would be a money spinner but it has disappeared from the catalogue. Owners retiring perhaps?

They seemed to lose interest in jazz quite a few years ago after putting out a motherlode on CD in the 2000s (most now sold out). Recent releases seem to be SACD, MOR and soul.

I guess there is no money in it. Quality of their CDs is superb though.

Edited by sidewinder

6 hours ago, adh1907 said:

was going to suggest Trunk Records for the Hum Dono LP - Johnny Trunk released it once the Dutton Vocalion LP went OOP - pressing got good reviews

Just checked the site & it looks like that one has gone too - poor Joe!!!

https://trunkrecords.greedbag.com/buy/hum-dono-6/

23 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Recent releases seem to be SACD, MOR and soul.

They put out a superb 2CD set containing the first four Friends of Distinction ("Grazin' in the Grass", etc.) albums a year or two ago.

I would agree with everyone here, it's pretty straightforward. A LOT of Harriott has been scraped up for release over the last 10-20 years and while it's all nice to have, imo there's still nothing that tops the studio albums, especially Abstract and Free Form.