Kip Hanrahan

soulpope

https://magazine.waxpoetics.com/article/kip-hanrahan-ishmael-reed-the-conjuring/?fbclid=IwAR0sU2ZYTQes-z66baS-UPq3cw__b_5Ys3cqEeYKNTbz4Rdvp3Q2t5Qrb4o

An interesting background article about Kip Hanrahan and the "Conjure" aka Ishmael Reed project .... do regard the first two editions as top releases in the 80's and wonder how board members view his euvre (also other than "Conjure") ....

25 minutes ago, blacksaint said:

Thanks for posting. This is indeed a rewarding read.

Good to read from you man 😍 .... still remember our excitement listening to "Coup De Tete", "Ya Yo Me Cure" and "Desire Develops An Edge" as new (pricey US import) releases back then ....

I look forward to reading that. I have a copy of 'Conjure' somewhere, unlistened to for many years. I should dig it out.

I have a friend who's a huge Hanrahan fan so I have heard a good number of his albums. I always seem to find the concept outways the execution. His use of Jack Bruce as a vocalist drives to the hills too.

44 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I look forward to reading that. I have a copy of 'Conjure' somewhere, unlistened to for many years. I should dig it out.

I have a friend who's a huge Hanrahan fan so I have heard a good number of his albums. I always seem to find the concept outways the execution. His use of Jack Bruce as a vocalist drives to the hills too.

The voice of Jack Bruce might be an acquiered taste to some, but Kip Hanrahan`s use of him as bassist beneath Steve Swallow, Andy Gonzalez, Cecil McBee and Jamaaladeen Tacuma is masterful ....

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

I always struggled with Hanrahan's releases under his own name. They often have dry 80s production, and I don't like the way that the prominent Latin percussion is, to my ears, decorative rather than rhythmic. Plus I definitely missed him first time around.

Probably it was different to hear these as new releases in the 80`s first, even more as the Classic Salsa releases started to drying out while top congueros like Nicky Marrero, Jerry Gonzalez, Daniel Ponce, Gene Golden, Milton Cardona got the call and didn`t hold back .... btw recording/mixing by John Fausty, who recorded tons of Salsa jewels ....

On 2/23/2024 at 7:08 PM, soulpope said:

Probably it was different to hear these as new releases in the 80`s first, even more as the Classic Salsa releases started to drying out while top congueros like Nicky Marrero, Jerry Gonzalez, Daniel Ponce, Gene Golden, Milton Cardona got the call and didn`t hold back .... btw recording/mixing by John Fausty, who recorded tons of Salsa jewels ....

Agreed. It was so nice to have a series of CDs which heavily featured percussionists.

Edited by mikeweil

10 minutes ago, BFrank said:

Had this for a LONG time, but never listened to it much. Threw it on the other day and realized that it's basically a Kip Hanrahan album - he produced it. Lots of Hanrahan-ish touches all the way through. Good stuff!

jack_bruce_front2.jpg

Kip Hanrahan also produced the next album "More Jack Than God" released in 2003 ....