• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I thought Don Larsen was dead?

He played with the Colt .45s/Astros, you know.

don-larsen.jpg

He died January 1, 2020, at the age of 90.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/larsedo01.shtml

1 minute ago, Ken Dryden said:

He died January 1, 2020, at the age of 90.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/larsedo01.shtml

Of course, Ghost of Miles was citing the perfect game by David Cone on Yogi Berra Day in 1999, so Don Larsen was very much alive then.

On 5/24/2024 at 4:39 PM, JSngry said:

Joshua Diemert at Pinstripe Alley agrees:

Robo challenge

… sounds good to me, and seems similar to what iirc Dan has advocated for. Will give teams and batters a chance to reverse the obviously blown calls while preserving fluidity for borderline calls and framing. Bring it on, the sooner the better. No love lost here for bad umpiring. 

Edited by ghost of miles

Cleveland Guardians hit back-to-back-to-back home runs (Ramirez, Naylor, Frey) last night as they destroyed the Angels.  Guardians are among the highest scoring teams in the MLB, and now the power has shown up after being their big deficiency in recent years.  The team is playing great under the new manager, Steven Vogt.

Edited by Milestones

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

That's not much of an accomplishment.

O.K. - I guess. 🤓

Red Sox are pretty crappy at home. FWIW, Brewers now 3.5 games ahead of the Cubs.

Edited by jlhoots

On 5/25/2024 at 11:16 PM, jlhoots said:

O.K. - I guess. 🤓

Red Sox are pretty crappy at home. FWIW, Brewers now 3.5 games ahead of the Cubs.

In any given game, the Red Sox have 4-5 hitters who by rights ought to be batting 8th or 9th, either by history or by performance to date.  The result is offensive frustration for at least the last month that is also likely to continue for a month or more given who is on the roster and who on the IL will not be returning for 4-8 weeks yet.

In a best-case scenario they are a last place, .500 team. As the league adjusts to the sometimes-decent pitching, that illusion will vanish with the offense.

There is only one downside to Angel Hernandez' retirement:  Seeing some sort of "challenge" system come to fruition so that he could be named, not worst umpire, but most-overturned umpire. Then maybe someone could have asked him about that.

As down as I remain on the Red Sox chances this season, there are little glimmers like, Wilyer Abreu, acquired from Houston in the Christian Vazques trade. (IIRC the Astros won it all that year but Vasquez left after his rental and Abreu looks very much like a keeper (Sox also got the up-and-down Enmanuel Valdez in that deal, I think he profiles as a decent utility man.)

Entering Monday, among qualified AL rookies, Abreu leads in OPS (.829), hits (46), doubles (14), extra-base hits (22) and total bases (82). He ranks second in batting average (.272) and runs scored (26). Abreu is third in home runs (six) and stolen bases (seven).