Eric Alexander on Improv

5 hours ago, sgcim said:

I'm glad someone's saying it. Thanks for posting it!

What I was hoping for discussion on was his aversion to "telling a story" in a solo.

Pres liked that.

EA ain't Pres.

What's the significance to musicians and others?

And BTW I am pretty sure I have heard a ton of EA solos where he "gets angry" by the end.

Dan - Maybe it's just me, but it seems like you're fishing for some anti-Eric Alexander sentiments here. I don't feel like playing that game.

This video is about a new improv course Alexander is selling to beginners based on his years of teaching the subject. Of course his basic premise is going to be "Play changes", as it is pretty good advice for beginners.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Dan - Maybe it's just me, but it seems like you're fishing for some anti-Eric Alexander sentiments here. I don't feel like playing that game.

This video is about a new improv course Alexander is selling to beginners based on his years of teaching the subject. Of course his basic premise is going to be "Play changes", as it is pretty good advice for beginners.

Kevin: It's entirely you. I posted because I have been getting EA videos on FB and YT feeds, and been struck by much of what he says.

What struck me most is the dissing of "telling a story" and the implicit contrast with Pres. I think that is a legit question for discussion, however it goes.  As for the purpose of what he is selling its very clear that this approach, even if geared for "beginners" (which I do not think is his only market anyway) is his approach. So, play changes, don't tell a story.

(BTW I finally put together that you mentioned that you are more or less retired, and you've put your screen name back. So I guess using your name is OK again.)

Edited by Dan Gould

5 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Kevin: It's entirely you. I posted because I have been getting EA videos on FB and YT feeds, and been struck by much of what he says.

What struck me most is the dissing of "telling a story" and the implicit contrast with Pres. I think that is a legit question for discussion, however it goes.  As for the purpose of what he is selling its very clear that this approach, even if geared for "beginners" (which I do not think is his only market anyway) is his approach. So, play changes, don't tell a story.

If you're not looking trying for a negative spin, then why the "rip off George Coleman" comment? I guess in your eyes that's a compliment? :)

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

4 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

If you're not looking trying for a negative spin, then why the "rip off George Coleman" comment? I guess in your eyes that's a compliment? :)

Answer to Sangrey's comment "I think he's explaining himself". Also punctuated by a winkie. ;)

5 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

(BTW I finally put together that you mentioned that you are more or less retired, and you've put your screen name back. So I guess using your name is OK again.)

I left a job where I had to get a clearance and I was told to minimize my social footprint for that. Now that I am no longer in that job, I can go back to using my name.

9 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

What I was hoping for discussion on was his aversion to "telling a story" in a solo.

Pres liked that.

EA ain't Pres.

What's the significance to musicians and others?

And BTW I am pretty sure I have heard a ton of EA solos where he "gets angry" by the end.

I remember the story about Pres being asked what he thought of some musician playing some fast, technical solo, and then asking the player,

""Yes Lady, but can you sing me a song?" I always liked that one.

• 2 weeks later...