Anyone watching Idol?

jazzbo

Anyone watching American Idol? I got hooked a long time ago by my wife and I'm watching this season too. . . . I'll even have to suffer through another Elton John night (tonight).

Right away one of my favorites was booted, Leah (Vladowsky) Labelle. She had something jazzy and special in her voice, reminded me of Helen Merrill, and yet she had this Bulgarian accent that snuck in and I think got her booted. . . .

1leahVcard1_DSC_8190_72-med.jpg

There are several really good singers still in the competition! I guess one of my favorites is Camille Velasco, again, a gal with a smallish voice that I find very expressive and appealing.

00000995.jpg

She probably won't last too long. . . But who knows, I'm wishing her success.

Then there is Chicagoan Jennifer Hudson--I love her singing! She has the church all up in dere but she uses it with a verve of her own. She's been in the lowest three the last two weeks and I wish she weren't; she's a really strong performer and in a way the jazziest of the lot left. . . .

jennifer_hudson.jpg

Fantasia Barrino is another big fan favorite, and man can she SING. Still, she's not one of my three top favorites, mainly because. . . not sure why. Attitude? Maybe, she's got plenty! Also, she has lots of the gospel licks and liberally applies them all over. . . not sure I always want her to.

45.jpg

Then there's George Huff of New Orleans. George, well he steps out there and I'm already happy. I think he's got the combination of character and charm and a huge voice with real experience behind it to be a big contender for the title. I really have enjoyed each of his performances. Go George!

d6_1_b.JPG

And there is one contestant I really disliked from the start, and I can't wait for this half-trick pony to be given the boot: Jonathon Stevens:

johntop.gif

I think his performances have been excrutiatingly BAD! Surely he can't last. (But I know better. . . .)

Forgive me, I think Idol is pretty good "wash the dirt of the day away" entertainment. Especially now that those verdamnt judges don't count. Okay, who are YOUR favorites!

Edited by jazzbo

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm another Idol watcher. My wife loves the show and I love my wife... :P

Elton John night, arf! :(

I agree that John Stevens has lasted too long. He doesn't even do a decent Sinatra, but you get him on the pop tunes and it's bad. :blink:

I was sad that Leah got voted off. I thought she had something.

I think somebody wants Jasmine to win. She's okay, but her pitch isn't.

:g

Everything about this show disgusts me. Every product of this show disgusts me. Any person riding a 15 minute crest of fame as a result of appearing on this show (or any of these reality shows) disgust me.

I literally have to pull myself away from it!!

;)

Everything about this show disgusts me. Every product of this show disgusts me. Any person riding a 15 minute crest of fame as a result of appearing on this show (or any of these reality shows) disgust me.

I literally have to pull myself away from it!!

;)

:lol::lol:

Actually, the show I'm really hooked on is Nashville Star. It's like an American Idol of country music. B)

Yeah, I really only watch the REALLY bad stuff, when they get down tot he finals I could really care less. But I love watching these no talent bimbos getting up there and shakin it, tryin to sing...just like Britney and Jessica et al...but not as hot!!

John Stevens needs to go off to college, meet some musicians who are turned on, take drugs and form a psychedelic folk band. And it needs to be documented by a network television crew.

Seriously, his voice is all wrong for this competition, and his high school chorus Dean Martin schtick is up. I think he has a good voice Lon, but right now its not his own.

Huff and Fantastic Burrito will be in the top three with LaToya London. I don't know why Jennifer Hudson hasn't received more votes from "America," but she hasn't. These are the top four and my bookie knows it.

John Stevens needs to go off to college, meet some musicians who are turned on, take drugs and form a psychedelic folk band.

Or at least admit that his name is actually "Martin Milner III" rather than "John Stevens IV", from the looks of the photos Lon posted... :blink:

I'm really hooked on this series. IMO 2 or 3 of the contestants have got superior voices to at least 50% of the current crop of pop artists. Their voices do need honing of course and they need to develop their own identity. All the best to them.

And what's with the Elton John theme when there are 1001 others available ;):angry:

I can't believe that John Stevens made it to the top twelve. Holy Man!!! His voice isn't horrible, but it's weak and personality-less. He has virtually no stage presence or style and the orchestra all but drowns out his voice.

How, I ask how did he get this far in the competition?

No idea---I would never have picked him for the top twelve!

I was happy to see Jennifer Hudson get some solid praise from the judges last night. She's awesome in my opinion, and she's been given a short end of the stick in criticism from judges and been in the bottom three for two or three weeks. . . . I hope she's not in the bottom three tonight.

Man. . . Fantasia's getting pretty cocky eh? I wouldn't want to wrangle with HER!

Last night's show was so bad it was funny. :P

I liked the comment towards John Stevens, that the judge had seen better high school musical performances. You could just see it on his face, that poor guy knows he is outclassed.

If I had a dog, I know he would have been howling during that show. :lol:

Couldn't believe who the last (bottom) two were last week. And the gal who got dropped -- the one with the pink hair -- I actually thought she wasn't half bad.

The whole thing is just a big popularity contest, in some ways. Sure, talent plays a big part too -- but so do looks, and personality. But then that's the way the pop music world works. (Hell, that's mostly the way the whole vocal-music world works these days too, not just pop music.)

My wife got me hooked near the end of the first season. We watched most of last season, and I'm afraid we're watching again this year.

Unlike past seasons, there are some REAL duds in the top 12 this year. Only about 4 or 5 have any real talent, far as I can see.

It's a fun show - and hell, it's probably one of the only "reality" shows that is, in any way, even moderately connected to "reality". (Either you can perform -- and perform LIVE -- or you get the boot!!) Great formula. The show deserves its success, every bit of it -- especially in a world with freaky concepts like this!!! :blink::blink::blink:

12022211.jpg

:wacko::wacko::wacko:

American Idol and Pop Idol are basically G-rated family entertainment, with a little 'actual' drama (to be only 17 or even just 16!! - and singing live on television, week after week!!!). Pure genius.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Idol is one of my favorite shows, guilty pleasure or otherwise. It's nice to not have to think sometimes - but it is terrifically entertaining, even when the contestants are "bad."

I actually like John Stevens' (mini-Conan's) voice, but he's completely out of his league here, at least for an American Idol-like pop vocal contest. His performance last night was horrible (though at the same time it was bad enough to be amusing.

Like Lon, I found Leah to be a'ight (as Randy would say), but though I really liked Camile in the early going I've become less fond of her over the last few weeks. She looks painfully uncomfortable on stage and she butchered "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" (unlike some of you, apparently, i love early EJ). I also liked Diana Degarmo a lot in the beginning as well, but have since lost interest. She has incredible poise and presence on stage, but just seems too young and teeny-bopper-ish lately. But i guess you can't fault her for being only 16.

George Huff really impressed me last night - the best he's ever done - but I wish he'd cool it on some of the jumping and smiling. He seems like a really great guy, genuinely nice, but his stage antics seem a bit cartoonish to me.

I really do love Jennifer's voice - did from the start - and I was glad to hear the praise last night (though Randy's always pushed her). She may be too "gospel," though, to win. Conversely, Fantasia, despite her great voice, may be too "ghetto" for a lot of voters. I think Latoya London may be my favorite to win the whole thing - she's got class, looks, and a very fine voice.

Yeah, I really only watch the REALLY bad stuff, when they get down tot he finals I could really care less. But I love watching these no talent bimbos getting up there and shakin it, tryin to sing...just like Britney and Jessica et al...but not as hot!!

Well, I think some of the contestants are better than "no talent bimbos." Several have pro-quality voices, just haven't had the training and experience.

Each season, it seems, there are 2 or 3 who could be real pop vocal stars if they catch a break or two (a hit single, for example) and play their cards right. Then, of course, they have to overcome the "gimmick factor" of having won a reality TV show. As singers, several are already better *singers* than Britney and maybe even Christina. But we all know it takes more than just talent to be a star... ;)

I'm sure the show was never meant to be a satire on pop music culture, but I think it has done a great job of pointing out that "Hollywood" can make a star out of anyone. You don't have to come out of the Mickey Mouse club, or dance for the LA Lakers, or suck bigwig producer dick to be a star. Like many of the pop stars that have paid their dues in these ways to climb to the top of pop stardom (no specifics of course), you don't even have to have that great of a voice. The studio is going to fix all of that anyway. The key is hype. Being on primetime television at least twice a week is going to make you a star. That is the key.

PS Who is Simon Fuller? He is listed as the producer. I always thought Simon Cowell was the guy.

Well there's the rub: these "kids" who sing on live TV each week *aren't* having their voices sweetened in the studio like Britney and so many others. The top few *do* have genuine singing talent - and it doesn't really matter how they're discovered. Now what they do with it and where they go with it - that's a different story. As we all know, there are lots of good singers (or jazzmen) out there who don't hit it big for one reason or another. Being talented is only a small part of success. I'm certainly not naive enough to think these are the "best" undiscovered voices in America. But thousands of people auditioned, and these who are left made it through the various cuts. I won't even say that better singers weren't cut - but these kids got their break on what's essentially a one-shot audition. And out of those thousands, only about 2 or 3 (to me) are really "good enough" to perhaps become stars.

Besides, America votes for them, so we get what we deserve. ;)

And besides, I like both Bob Dylan and Tom Waits. :g