Blindfold Test #9

Alexander

All right. I have found what tracks 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 11 and 12 were. Wouldn't have guessed what track 10 was if hadn't been tipped on it.

I'm sure who plays on track 9 but haven't been able to identify the record.

Problem I have now: should I go ahead and list what I found so far or wait until everybody has listened to their disc?

Nice catch, Alexander, of track 7, the only unaccompanied side of that album. Loved this version!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim R, not really sure that's the way to go. Could not resist peeking when MartyJazz posted a link to track 10.

I'ld rather wait before showing my cards.

brownie, you're free to proceed any way you wish of course, but I'm just pointing out the procedure that we've used since the beginning. If people decide to "peek" by opening the links, then it's up to them. They will have to decide for themselves whether they want to know the answer or not, but they won't exactly be able to claim "credit" for having come up with the answer, since you will have already answered it first by posting the link(s). I'm not sure if that was part of your concern, or not...? Anyway, part of this whole exercise always involves personal choices and a degree of "will power" (deciding to challenge oneself by posting without peeking at others' posts first; resisting the urge to open links until one is ready to give up trying to solve a track on their own; etc). If you hold off posting your links, someone else may post some of those links before you get the chance... (even though this isn't a formal "competition", you will have lost the opportunity to be the first to answer)...

Oustanding compilation, Alexander!

Received my disc on Saturday. Just finished typing my thoughts at work today. Here goes...

Track 1 - I recognize the melody. Ah Ha! Body & Soul. Very interesting pianist. Just when I think I have him/her pegged, he/she goes and does something that throws me off. The runs remind me of Jessica Williams.

Track 2 - More piano. No idea. 1920s stuff. Nice clarinet work. Kind of plodding, but still swinging. Earl Hines? This is growing on me as it progresses.

Track 3 - Must be a piano theme here. No clue on this track. Obviously a recent recording. Some nice moments here and there, but not something i'd be likely to pick up.

Track 4 - Sounds like Beiderbecke's 'In A Mist', but I don't think this is it. Maybe another of his piano compositions? I like this very very much. Gotta pick this one up.

Track 5 - Satin Doll. Drunk Satin Doll! Weird loopy take on the melody. Again, not a favorite, but interesting at times. Sounds like an alternate take.

Track 6 - I like the way you alternate between old and new Piano trios. This is more like it. Fun tune. I'll pick this one up too. Early Oscar Peterson? Not enough grunting to be OP. God? The God from Toledo that is.

Track 7 - I recognize this melody too, but its not coming to me. Ellington tune? Could be Ellington solo. Or maybe Strayhorn.

Track 8 - Another recognizeable melody that isn't coming to mind. Very good stuff. I'll look out for this one too.

Track 9 - Back to the old stuff. J.P. Johnson? I am really digging the stride like stuff. Quite the instrumentalist!

Track 10 - Blackbird. Not sure who, but it wouldn't take long looking at AMG to figure it out. Nice interpretation.

Track 11 - Someday My Prince Will Come. Not sure of the pianist, but I hear some weird vocal sounds so my guess is Jarrett. Nice interpretation. I just wish he wouldn't do that!

Track 12 - Outstanding solo TS. :tup:tup

Track 13 - I like this quirky melody. Very swingin! John Hicks? I'll have to find this one too....*sigh* :)

Track 14 - Another great performance. I'm running out of guesses! Nice balance of grease and dexterity.

Track 15 - I recognize this, but after 15 tracks of critical listening, my brain is letting me down. Is this 'Yesterdays'? Beautiful rendition. Another must have.

I really enjoyed this Blindfold test, Alexander. A great collection of pianists and a wonderful listen. I'm sure this will get extended plays on my iPod. Thank you!

Edited by Irwin Mainway

Okay, Alex! Very nice disc! :tup I'm relieved that I actually know and recognize several of these tracks. I think 3 and 15 are the ones I'm most interested in learning who's behind them. As usual, here are my initial comments without much hunting about either on-line or through my collection.

1. “Body & Soul” (or “Prelude to a Kiss;” I often get such instrumental versions confused). Nice solo piano, but haven’t any solid clue. Sounds a bit Duke-ish, but really could be almost anybody. Some nice stride stuff going on, which I’m sure will be a clue to someone smarter than me. Could be some newer cat like Marcus Roberts…

2. Much older piece, and with clarinet this time, but again, no real clue.

3. One of my favorite tracks here. This sounds very familiar; a standard tune played so uncommonly slow that I can’t quite put my finger on it. Almost sounds like Jarrett and Haden, but I’d “know it” if it were. (Still, could be Haden on bass.) Ahh… parts of this remind me of Miles’ famous version of “It Never Entered My Mind,” but I think they’re just quoting rather than actually playing the tune. Lovely, but with a dark edge to it…

4. Another older tune. Not descript enough for me to pick out the artist in a lineup. Fats Waller? Tatum playing slow? ;)

5. “Satan Doll” of course; a song that can’t be played badly. Sounds more modern, so I’m guessing it’s not Duke. I certainly don’t believe that all piano trios sound the same, but there are very few that I can identify…

6. “Just One of Those Things.” Tatum? Maybe earlier Oscar Peterson trio? That cat can play. Those florid touches should give it away, at least in regards era if not player. Very classic, but now seems a bit “dated” to me.

7. I’m almost certain I have this version, but I can’t place it at the moment. Familiar tune, too, though I’m drawing a blank on its title. Piano sounds to me almost like McCoy Tyner, but I don’t think it’s him in this solo context. Damn, listening again I know I have this! I’m gonna kick myself later…

8. “The Man I Love.” Bill Evans must be here somewhere in this comp and I know he performed this, though I suspect I don’t have this version…

9. Fun, but my comments are about the same as track 4. If I picked a name it would be at random…

10. I know Tony Williams did a version of this Beatles song, but I know this isn’t it (or at least the version of it that I have). I think Mehldau covered this as well, but on one of his trio discs that I don’t think I have. Sounds like him, so that’s my guess…

11. “Someday My Prince Will Come.” I first thought this was the Bill Evans track I was expecting here, but it’s soon readily apparent that this is KJ’s trio. This is hands down my favorite trio over the last 20 years. They can do no wrong. I think one problem with them getting so “little” respect (and I say that, uh, oddly) is because they are so prolific and consistent. It’s hard to say that one of their albums is “better” or “worse” than any other. I could listen to this stuff all day – and often do!

12. Unmistakable. :D

13. Not a clue, though very tasty. I hate to use the word “generic” since it sounds like a pejorative, but it’s hard for me to tell most piano trios apart. Again, I’ll probably kick myself later…

14. Same comments as track 13, though a bit more modern sounding. A bit bluesier, too, but not enough to ring any specific bells.

15. Is this the same song as track 1, just played “differently?” (I said I can’t tell them apart. ;)) I really like this one, played very, very dark, almost dreamlike. Another favorite of mine on this disc. I really want to know who this is…

First of all, I must say I enjoyed listening to this excellently conceived set immensely. Another thanks to Alexander for making this.

Here is what I have come up with so far:

1- recognized the pianist - one of my very favorites - without problems and I posted the answer before (my apologies for this! aiming to the BFT rules from now on...). This classic standard is one of the gems from this album.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=A4t67mpsd9f6o

2- A vintage classic from decades ago. The tune played here bears the name of its composer and performer.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...9787719-1063353

3- I still have trouble identifying that one. The pianist sounds familiar but have not been able to determine who exactrly.

4- I recognized that one from the start and mentioned this in my initial post on this thread,

5- did not identify this at once. But it just dawned me that it should be this one:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Av22ibkg9aakc

6- not trouble with that one either. From a master:

http://ubl.artistdirect.com/store/artist/a...72815%2C00.html

7- it took me some time to guess which one it was, I referred to that one previously. Great choice!

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Aj9kpu3qganxk

8- another Gershwin classic played by two pianists. Both sound familiar but I could not pin them,

9- this happy player was easily identifiable but could not name the tune,

10- I would have had trouble getting the right name on that one. As already stated previously I peeked when Martyjazz provided a link to that Beatles tune. Would not have guessed,

11- I had not much trouble guessing who this grunter was. One of the so-called great musicians I have not bothered listening to in years. This version will not change my opinion of him. But he knows how to pick great bass and drums players!

12- Monk, easy. It has already been identified by others.

13- gave up on that one,

14- same on this,

15- variations on the track 1 tune (nice way of closing the album) but could not identify.

This was to be fun from the start. Loved trying to guess who played what. Still have not given up on getting more right!

Edited by brownie

First of all, I must say I enjoyed listening to this excellently conceived set immensely. Another thanks to Alexander for making this.

Here is what I have come up with so far:

1- recognized the pianist - one of my very favorites - without problems and I posted the answer before (my apologies for this! aiming to the BFT rules from now on...). This classic standard is one of the gems from this album.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=A4t67mpsd9f6o

2- A vintage classic from decades ago. The tune played here bears the name of its composer and performer.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...9787719-1063353

5- did not identify this at once. But it just dawned me that it should be this one:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Av22ibkg9aakc

6- not trouble with that one either. From a master:

http://ubl.artistdirect.com/store/artist/a...72815%2C00.html

Great job. Disappointed that I didn't do better especially considering that I have the albums for which you identified tracks #1 & 5.

Still can't wait to know who the pianist(s) is (are) on "The Man I Love". :huh:

Edited by MartyJazz

Nice job, brownie! B) You've sure got a great ear for piano.

I'm surprised by the answer to #7... not sure I ever heard that pianist play that tune. On #6 (just like #12), I just didn't trust myself enough. Alex DID include a "gimmie", and I just didn't want to take it! :rolleyes:

I haven't looked at all of your links yet... still want to try to solve a few more...

I'm surprised by the answer to #7... not sure I ever heard that pianist play that tune.

Had to really listen to that one to find out who was playing. A great favorite of mine. This was his first solo performance on a record. Only one solo track on that album. Tricky one from Alexander.

And I checked his discography since, he played solo on a couple of tracks on another album and that was it!

I'm waiting for someone to name the last three tracks of the BFT. I have almost stopped trying to figure those out!

Have fun!

This must be right! I'm not at home and don't have the BFT disc with me so cannot check but I was on the Bill trail. Did not bother to look for the second pianist connection. Love that Ivory Joe Hunter mention in the AMG link!

Edited by brownie

First of all, thank you very much Alexander for this excellent BFT. This will definitely shed light on many artists I am not familiar with.

THEME--Uh, piano maybe?

1. Definitely unchartered territory for me. Nicely played, and I like 'em slow. No clue.

2. More unfamiliar digs. I can appreciate it.

3. Almost too sentimental, but progresses into a striding narrative of sounds that I like. Can't place anyone. Much newer than the first two, I would guess.

4. Like 1 & 2, outside of my scope. Well executed. Older style than the time frame my tastes are centered on.

5. Now this I like, and I think I've heard it. A standard perhaps. Now I think I have it but no names are coming to mind. Oh yeah, this is going to bug me until I start reading the guesses--I bet somebody nailed it.

6. Holy smokes, now these are some virtuoso ebony-&-ivory-ticklin' skills on display, and the bass and drums set a sizzlin' pace! Awesome stuff. Unfortunately for me I haven't the foggiest idea who this might be.

7. Dropping down to a slower gait (not that there was much choice), this is a beautiful little two and half minute composition. I can't say I know who it is.

8. Nice transition from the previous track. Fascinating composition, as it progresses the pianist makes decisions that greatly detour from what I expected based on how the song was beginning. It is as if the song is in transition between two styles, if that makes any sense. Probably not.

9. Once again, Alexander drops off my radar. Man, this pianist has some serious skills like the one on Track 6--though I like Track 6 better.

10. Not bad. Similar to Track 3.

11. Oh great, another one I know I've heard and think I have--I just can't put a name with it.

12. Wow, now we're really goin' slow. I really like what happens about 52 seconds in. Another short gem.

13. Will have to subject to repeated listens, sounds boring to me for some reason.

14. Lots of 'room' for the pianist to work his magic on this one. An entertaining track.

15. A solemn sad song is a perfect finish to this fine BFT. I feel similar about this one as I do about Track 7.

Thanks once again Alexander. Sorry I didn't make any guesses. I am looking forward to reading the other responses. :tup

Great piano compilation, Alexander. If I remember correctly, except for JD´s clarinet on track 2 (well, and some grunting from the great grunter), there´s only piano (or two pianos), bass and drums. I´ve liked ALL this stuff, many of it is in my collection.

Let´s go piece by piece (without reading the previous posts):

-Track 1: "Body and soul", of course. Beautiful treatment. The playing reminds me of Tete Montoliú in some passages (the way he strikes the keys, the interplay of the two hands, the rhythmic short lines with his left hand while time (and left hand) has stopped.... but, of course, this is not Tete Montoliú.

-Track 2: I won´t say the title of the track, because it would bring the complete answer easily. The clarinetist has three D´s in his second name, and his brother is playing drums as well. The leader of this combo is the pianist, a guy who claimed, as some others, that HE INVENTED JAZZ (well, listen to the clear ragtime influence in the piano-drums introduction). Well, no more bla-bla-bla, here´s the track:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Alpj9kemtjq7n (track 33 in that list; in fact is disc 2, track 11 of the Centennial Edition, if my memory serves me right)

-Track 3: I did like it, but have no clue... though it sounds familiar

-Track 4: Oh, one of my favorite "...ists" playing piano. There´s a site where you can discuss this guy again and again... I could give you the link if you need it :P This song was recorded on September 9, 1927 for Okeh. And the answer is:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Asgd4vwvya9ek (track 64 here, in fact is disc 3 track 18 of that set) BTW, what the hell is that cover that AMG shows????

-Track 5: "Satin doll". I´d throw in that this is Bud Powell, but couldn´t find this recording in my collection.

-Track 6: Oh, the greatest tickler of all, with the papa and a dangerous communist (for his nickname you will know him :lol: ). "Just one of those things". If you think the leader only could play piano solo, check this collection:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Ajw6zefwk7gfo

-Track 7: "Lush life". Nice treatment. No clue, again.

-Track 8: "The man I love". Two pianos interplaying... too lazy to check recordings with two pianists. Great track.

-Track 9: STRIDE PIANO rules. I know this is one of the greatest players at his best... but not sure who it is (what do I use my many stride piano discs for? :angry: )

-Track 10: Oh, in this track you can find a Spanish drummer playing for a guy who has made a lot of ART (at least 5??? volumes). Here is the first volume, playing Beatles´ "Blackbird":

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=A5tsqoaeauijd

-Track 11: The greatest grunter of all ( CHECK THIS ) playing "Someday my prince will come" with his standards trio (I guess). No clue on which recording it is.

-Track 12: This guy belongs to another "sphere". The song is "I should care" and I guess this version was recorded for Columbia.

-Track 13: I should know this one, I know I should.

-Track 14: No clue, no clue, no clue

-Track 15: Another beautiful treatment of "Body and soul". Bill Evans? Not very sure!

Thanks again, Alexander, for this wonderful compilation!!!

6. Just One Of Those Things. Tatumesque runs, but without quite the harmonic adventure that Tatum was known for. Wow... there can’t be that many players who could execute like this, but I’m groping for ideas. Sounds like a 40’s or 50’s era recording/artist. Fantastic technique. I don't think I've heard Nat Cole wail quite like this... Teddy Wilson? (the touch seems more aggressive than Wilson...). More research/review required...

Good point on the harmonic facet of Tatum, Jim.

I´m not a musician and many members will describe it better (or contradict me or simply say I´m talking nonsense ;) ), but in my opinion, when Tatum was playing with accompaniment, in trio or larger ensembles, and especially when he was playing uptempo, he shows more "pure technique" (I mean high speed playing) and less "harmonic adventures".

Just my two cents.