Blindfold Test #9

Alexander

Thought I had that opening 'Body and Soul' track figured out. That left hand could only belong to Jimmy Rowles. I searched through my Rowles albums and could only find his solo version on the Jazziz LP 'Jazz Is a Fleeting Moment' but that B&S was a 9m3s version. Very similar but not exactly the same. It even crossed my mine for a second that Alexander had doctored his opening track but there were several differences (arpegios that were in one version, not on the other) until I remembered the Rowles participation in that beautiful Columbia session Stan Getz Presents Jimmie Rowled 'The Peacocks'. And there it was, that superb solo! One of two solos on the album.

Now an important question: is it Jimmy or Jimmie Rowles!

More answers/suggestions later this weekend...

Geez, Jimmy Rowles! I don´t have any of his recordings as a leader, but he´s well represented in my collection through discs of Benny Goodman, Woody Herman or Billie Holiday... ah, and in Mulligan meets Webster, in "Jazz giant", in Stan Getz "Plays".... definitely a good player.

Do any of you see any resemblance to Tete Montoliú in his playing?

BTW: brownie, when I first entered "Jimmie Rowles" in AMG, this is what came up:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Byys9kept7q70

:wacko:

:g:g:g

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, could it be this one?

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Aep09kextsq7z

"Where were you on the night of June the third"?

I don´t have my copy here at work but, if I remember correctly, the version of this tune included in the Storyville release brings us some vocals and/or comments.

About track #9 again:

In fact it´s a medley of "Where were you on the night of june the 3rd", "Clothesline ballet" & "Don´t let it bother you".

In the Storyville release, they appear like separate tracks (2:04 for the first one) and in the Naxos 1935 Transcription CD, they appear like one track of 5:51

And after searching through some Fats Waller webpages, I´m afraid this is not the correct choice, as the 3/11/35 recording of "Where were..." and "Don´t let..." DO HAVE vocals!

Here are my thoughts on BFT#9.

Theme: Piano soloists or groups playing covers.

1. Body and Soul. Nice opener, no idea who it is,

2. No idea, but it sure seems like I have this one.

3. I like this one a lot, also sounds really familiar. If I don’t already have it, I’ll be looking for it.

4. I’ll guess Jess Stacy playing Bix’s ‘In a Mist’, not sure if this is the version on Commodore.

5. Nice rendition of Satin Doll

6. Just One of Those Things, I’ll guess Art Tatum, from the Pablo Group box.

7. Don’t know.

8. Like this one, too.

9. Albert Ammons and/or Meade Lux Lewis.

10. Blackbird, Brad Mehldau. Even my wife, who’s not the biggest jazz fan, said “That sounds like Brad!”

11. This cd arrived in my mailbox just before I was leaving to see Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette, so I stuck in the car and listened to it on the way. On the way back I heard the telltale grunts and groans while listening to ‘Someday My Prince Will Come.’ I probably could have guessed it anyway, since Gary Peacock’s playing is so distinctive.

12. Enjoyable, but unknown.

13. Like it! After several standards and calm music, I really enjoyed the change in tone on this one.

14. An okay bluesy tune, but not my fave.

15. Nice closer, has a Body and Soul moment in there, but I’m not sure if that’s the tune or not.

Overall, I’ve enjoyed listening to this disc many times, with my personal favorites being #s 3, 6, and 10. Thanks, Alexander! Anxious to read everyone’s comments.

Unfortunately I don't own the recording, so this is a bit of a shot in the dark, but I'm wondering if #8 could be this:

Jim R., congratulations for leading us in the right direction on that track 8. I am listening to my record of this piano duo! You guessed right!

Drat! This is a first for me: not recognizing a recording I own! Way to go, Jim R (you bathturd!) :g

Unfortunately I don't own the recording, so this is a bit of a shot in the dark, but I'm wondering if #8 could be this:

Jim R., congratulations for leading us in the right direction on that track 8. I am listening to my record of this piano duo! You guessed right!

Drat! This is a first for me: not recognizing a recording I own! Way to go, Jim R (you bathturd!) :g

THAT WAS A FIRST FOR YOU?!?!? Sheesh! It's AL-ready happened to me about 37 times (probably a slight exaggeration). Anyway, you were overdue!

So... Al... you OWN that CD, eh? MAN, would I like to hear that sometime... :w ( :party::party::party: )

:D

THAT WAS A FIRST FOR YOU?!?!? Sheesh! It's AL-ready happened to me about 37 times (probably a slight exaggeration). Anyway, you were overdue!

So... Al... you OWN that CD, eh? MAN, would I like to hear that sometime... :w ( :party::party::party: )

:D

Having really dug track #8, I went on to CD Now to check on it's availability. Two used copies for $39.50 and $40!!!!!! I'll wait on this one. :unsure:

Edited by MartyJazz

Wow! Then I really feel like I scored a deal: I recently picked this up at Fry's for $10.88! You could tell it'd been sitting there for a few years! Admittedly, though, for one reason or another, I haven't listened to it too much. Kinda one of those things of buying it for the sake of having it, because I know I'll want it later, go back and it'll be gone. It's happened every other time! So, to the poor bastard who went to Fry's today looking for The Ivory Hunters, sorry!

Jim R, however, should be on the lookout for Ivory-Hunter-bearing bastbirds coming from my garage (I managed to pry their SACD copies of Trane/Hartman from their claws before sending them your way!).

Anyway, track #12 which I should have gotten a lot sooner (considering I'm a completist when it comes to him), is of course, "I Should Care" by another jazz giant, for which the current CD issue (I only have it in LP form) is found here

I don´t have it, but I guess it´s worth buying the new 2003 CD reissue of the album where this track was originally included

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Aq9ouak4kam3b

8 new tracks: 7 alternates and, unless AMG is missing the point, a "Darn that dream" that was not originally included!!!

OK, coming in late on this one. Here are my guesses:

1. "Body and Soul." I have this one, so I won't say who it is, and it's no doubt already been identified.

What a wonderful pianist, one of my very favorites. And although he sings, too, he's undersung.

2. Several decades earlier... I love it! Great phrasing, great swing. I recall that Jelly Roll Morton recorded some trios with clarinet and drums, and I'm guessing this is one of them.

3. I'm less enthralled with this one. To be lyrical enough to pull it off, the composition would need to be more memorable and the rhythm less plodding. It reminds me of the Alan Pasqua-Dave Carpenter-Peter Erskine trio, but on their "Live at Rocco's" they have more success with a similar approach on some tunes. No idea.

4. Beautiful! I know this tune, but what is it? There's something very modern-sounding and old-fashioned about it at the same time, making an appealing contrast. Very nice pianist, too. I'll be interested to see who this is.

5. "Satin Doll." No idea. Kind of loose around the edges but nice.

6. "Just One Of Those Things." Very polished; very strong technique in a roaring-ahead, fleet-fingered kind of way. Energetic, athletic; the drummer's great and in the same vein. I'd say it's the swing side in the swing-to-bop era. Tatum is the name that comes immediately to mind. Can't think of anyone else quite so assertive and ironclad in their technique.

7. "Lush Life." No idea.

8. "The Man I Love." Hmm, two pianos. No idea.

9. I wonder if this isn't Lionel Hampton on piano. There's a kind of xylophone-like, hamming-it-up style that fits both his persona and his main instrument.

10. "Blackbird." I'd guess Mehldau. I've always thought this a particularly cloying melody, and jazzing it up doesn't help.

11. The name of the tune is on the tip of my tongue but won't come. Keith Jarrett Trio.

12. This is also a very familiar voice on piano. Definitely Monkian in the general approach. I thought of Mal Waldron, but this has more personality to it than Waldron generally musters. Don't know that I actually like it very much.

13. No idea.

14. No idea. I like this one.

15. Nice! Another "Body and Soul" to close. The vamp thing reminds me of someone but I can't think who.

Great collection! High-quality music throughout, and that's what really counts. I had a great time listening, and will continue to listen to it!

Thank you Alexander for an interesting disk; I guess the Zoll had a lot of fun playing all howmanywerethere of these! ;)

You know piano is definitely not my strong suit. I did recognise some upon first listen though. Typing while playing, so let's see what this brings...

Track 1. Body and Soul. No idea who's playing, but there are some VERY interesting things going on. Some of the embellishments I could do without, but overall VERY nice. couw is rather impressed with this.

Track 2. My guess is this is Mr. Morton. Cannot name the tune. Good stuff with some patented unexpected twists and turns.

Track 3. Sleeeeepy. This is a bit too slow to be really interesting and the attempt to make it more interesting by pounding a bit harder I find rather corny really.

Track 4. the playing is more modern than the sound. I am baffled by this one and curious to find out who this is. It doesn't sound like any of the usual suspects.

Track 5. Satin Doll. Nice schlepping notes on the theme. Solo (w/ characteristic vocalisations) gives it away Bud. I don't know which album, but I guess others have this one nailed already.

Track 6. One of those Things. One of them cowboys that does well on the fast shooting, woa. woa! woa!! This is so damn well executed I will venture a guess that it's god Tatum himself

Track 7. Lush Life. Very nice solo treatment. This sounds mighty familiar, I probably have this and am proving mikeweil's laws of BFT.

Track 8. Man I love. Two pianos, nice, no idea. I venture a careless guess that it's Bill Evans on the right channel. No idea whatsoever on the other player, who has a nice but maybe not very distinct approach. The bass is very nicely throwing things forward.

Track 9. This is a Fun track (capital F), my guess is Fats Waller, whom I have got to know as King FUN recently through some complicated trading via this board. Hmmm, long track, this makes me wonder... Either not Waller after all, or transcriptions maybe?

Track 10. Cute, too cute for my tastes, this must be Bradbradbrad Mehldau.

Track 11. One of those tunes made big by Miles. Prince will come isn't it? The bass is rather nice. Piano goes along nicely and then suddenly... Ugly vocalising! this tells me it's Jarrett. I don't like them and I can't enjoy the piano with these ...

Track 12. Monk should Care. Short Monk is also Monk and mighty impressive. brrrr.

Track 13. Absolutely clueless. nice, but nothing sticks out enough for couw to venture a guess or to even comment on sensibly.

Track 14. I remain clueless & ditto. A bit too pretty at times I find. Bass stands out.

Track 15. Body and Soul again (or a variation thereof) to round it up, cool. Nice treatment. No clue.

That wasn't too bad! I believe I even nailed some of these. :g

EKE BBB, relistened to track 9. I thought I had it almost figured it out but obviously I led you in a blind alley. Damn you Alexander  :g

No need to worry. You gave me a good opportunity to relisten to that happy man! B)

does this mean it's NOT the happy man? Should I get that disk that EKE linked anyway? Looks very tasty.

EKE BBB, relistened to track 9. I thought I had it almost figured it out but obviously I led you in a blind alley. Damn you Alexander  :g

No need to worry. You gave me a good opportunity to relisten to that happy man! B)

does this mean it's NOT the happy man? Should I get that disk that EKE linked anyway? Looks very tasty.

I gave up on that track 9. Thought I had guessed right at the start. Now I just don't know. It's great piano anyway. And fun!

thanks Alexander.. will try some first guesses on this Art of Trio compilation disc

#1 Body&Soul, but who plays ?

#2 an early Basie ?

#3 no clue ...

#5 Satin Doll. Bud Powell ?

#6 EDIT: found it on HIS the complete Group recordings... ^_^

#10 Blackbird from this record: LINK

#11 As soon as the bass leaps in...: LINK

#13 sounds little bit like a Miles davis pianist...Herbie ? not sure

#15 sounds like B&S but an 80ies version

will try to fill the blank spots later on

Cheers, Tjobbe

Edited by tjobbe

So finally, here are my comments on the piano-centered Blindfold Test # 9. I found it pretty amazing that one can assemble such a disc with mostly standard tunes and still come up with so many items I do not know: my hat is off to you!

# 1 Body And Soul

The spontaneity and unprecictability reminds me of Earl Hines, but there are some phrases I would not associate with him. Hm ...

# 2 At first I thought it is a Jelly Roll Morton Trio, but it is not in my collection, so I have to stay curious who it is.

# 3 Could be one of those modern Scandinavian piano trios. Leaves me somewhat unsatisfied, does not seem to lead anywhere.

# 4 I know this piece, probably the version done by the composer himself, don't have it here at the moment to check. He wrote a nice bunch of these, I have all of them played by other pianists - well he wasn't a pianist, of course. I like this a lot and wish classical pianists would play this as well (one from Italy actually does, on an otherwise Ragtime centered disc).

# 5 Satin Doll

A little too casual for my taste, the bass sounds terribly muddy. Not an item I would buy.

# 6 Just One Of Those Things

I'd say a pianist of the Swing Era - I'm not that much a fan of these heavily embellishing players. Is this Jo Jones at the drums?

# 7 Lush Life

He seems to play it more with the piano as an orchestral instrument in mind than as an intimate piece of reminiscing - he ignores the lyrics, to my feeling. I think I'll include a version of this immortal classic on my Test that I really like ...

# 8 The Man I Love (AMG link)

From this disc. I have to admit it was the drummer, his cymbal sound and beat, that gave it away for me, I happened to be in the bathroom 20 feet away as it ran, and recognized him, and considering the bassist - the two were on of the greatest bass/drums teams, IMO, and the fact it is two pianists playing, turned on the memopry light. I like its exploratory playfulness, considering it was meant and done as a completely unprepared one-session studio affair, it succeeded.

# 9 Again, two pianists - I don not know enough from this era to identify them. Sure would like to know ...

# 10 Blackbird

At first I thought it was Mulgrew Miller and Tony Williams, but no, they did The Fool On The Hill, and this is too loose for them. No idea. Nice, but could be more concentrated.

# 11 Someday My Prince Will Come

Is this Keith Jarrett with Gary Peacock and Jack deJohnette? Don't have any of their discs - one of the early ones I had I didn't like, and didn't care to catch up. I think the pianist just takes off and plays whatever comes to his mind that fits the changes without much sense of form or the composition as a whole, which I prefer. I think I have already heard all of the phrases I know in different contexts, and the bass and drums are a little too confined to accompanists' roles. Nothing new, so what's the deal, except that he gets his rocks off?

# 12 I Should Care (AMG link)

Anybody who doesn't recognize this pianist should be sent back to jazz grammar school!

# 13 Nice trio. The head reminds me of the stuff Chick Corea would write around 1970 when he was in an experimental mood. Nice interaction, nice drum solo that develops his ideas although I thought he started at too high a level - he knows what he does. In fact, is this Corea with Barry Altshul? If it is Corea, I like his playing here better than on his later albums.

# 14 A Blues, at last. The way he throws in atonal clusters reminds me of Steve Kuhn. I'm afraid I like 'em either more straight or more out.

# 15 Body And Soul

Very nice closer. I like the way he only hints at the opening theme at first, then introdcuces that riff and combines them, but I was dissdapointed he didn't develop that further and take it through the changes or the whole song - as if he didn't know how to do that after that initial idea. C'mon, go through it all, I wanted to shout! So who is this?

Although there are few items that I really like enough to buy them, I enjoy this disc a lot and will certainly play it every now and then - thanks a lot! Again I'm stunned that there so much music left to explore, even when restricted to pianists!