Blindfold Test #9

Alexander

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right off the bat I want to apologise to Alex for dogging him so much, because his BFT turned out to be well worth the wait! :g A refreshing change, as we got a lot of mainstream jazz, without a single track that made me cringe, wonder "WTF?" or reach for the "skip" button. Well done!

On the question of theme, its clearly a piano-centric disc, couldn't tell if the theme went deeper than that. (You got something against couw? I'm sure this BFT is gonna drive him up the wall!)

As for specifics, I had no clues whatsoever as to artists, so I'll be brief. Only tune that brought any ideas to mind was #10, the Beatles cover, but that was purely because I know that Tony Williams/Mulgrew Miller/Ira Coleman used to cover this, but nothing in the playing made me think of them.

But I am proud to say that I recognized no fewer than five of the tunes, which is definitely a new record for me, even if I had no clue on artists. "Satin Doll" belongs in that "first few notes" thread, for sure.

Thanks again, Alex, for restoring my faith in the taste of Organissimos! :g :g :tup

A refreshing change, as we got a lot of mainstream jazz, without a single track that made me cringe, wonder "WTF?" or reach for the "skip" button. Well done!

No kidding! I was half-expecting a disc full of the best of hatART music (which wouldn't have been bad either!).

For a theme, I was thinking this was along the lines of, after a while, do piano trios begin to sound the same? With the answer being a resounding, HELL NO!!! :tup

Thanks Alexander...

I posted something in another post regarding BFT #9 after receiving your disc yesterday but the topic was deleted.

I too recognize many of the standards you cued up here. Recognizing PIANO players and trio sidemen is another thing all together. This one will be very hard for me as I'm not well versed to the idiosyncrasies of the ivories unless picking out something wacky. This one will be a real education.

Mine was waiting for me today. Posted from suburban Paris. You should have delivered it yourself if you were in town ;) A warm welcome would have been extended!

Gave it a very quick listen. Interesting choice. I'm in a mist about a number of the players.

It's going to be fun!

Right off the bat I want to apologise to Alex for dogging him so much, because his BFT turned out to be well worth the wait! :g A refreshing change, as we got a lot of mainstream jazz, without a single track that made me cringe, wonder "WTF?" or reach for the "skip" button. Well done!

This made me laugh, but also got me thinking about some of the past BFTs and my own upcoming compilation. I think the tendency of the compilers is to try to find and highlight the obscurities in their collections and try to "stump the panel" to at least some degree. (Well, that and irritate Dan with their musical choices. ^_^ ) And with that comes a greater degree of risk-taking, pushing the envelope, and all that stuff. I really dig it 'cause it's exposed me to a bunch of artists I hadn't heard before, but I can understand how it can get tiresome if one's tastes are a bit more conservative (no offense, Dan).

Haven't received Alex's disc yet, but from what I've read I'm really looking forward to it. "Relaxing" will be a really nice change-of-pace (and I don't mean that in any bad way though I realize that "relaxing" in a jazz context tends to sound demeaning around these here parts.)

On a lighter note, I'm really digging the irony of Dan liking Alex's disc so much. There is hope for you guys after all! ;)

(My wife says that all world leaders should be the parents of twins as that would teach them how to deal with conflicts, rivalries, and strife while having extraordinary patience.) :g

No offense taken Ray. But believe me, I'm not the only musical "conservative" who hasn't always been thrilled with the musical selections on some of the BFTs. I'm just the one who's most likely to express it in public.

In the meantime, did you see this thread?

You might be able to jump to the front of the line for the next BFT!

I received mine in the mail yesterday and listened to it today. I find it quite listenable.

Incidentally having known Alexander for many years, I can tell you I wasn't suprised at all that the disc had a "conservative" (or "inside") sound...his jazz collection has always veered in that direction, at least compared to mine.

One thing that I hadn't really thought about before this though is how much he is into piano trios. Consequently what I am rather painfully struck by is how little I can tell one piano trio from another, at least based on this BFT. I don't have many piano trio discs in my collection (I like horns!), really just the most well known Blue Notes trios by Monk, Bud, Herbie Nichols and a few stray items by McCoy Tyner on various labels and the like. Certainly like many of the other folks, I did recognize several of the tunes, some of which are standards, but I can't say I had any moments of great recognition for the piano players...although I would say there is at least one track in there that reminds me of either Ahmad Jamal, Red Garland playing like Ahmad Jamal or someone else playing like both of them...

Edited by HWright

I received BFT #9 today and have given it one spin so far. Very enjoyable! Great job compiling this one, Alexander! I need to give this one a few more listens before guessing on the tracks, but I will say that track 11 features one of my least favorite "vocalists." ;)

I really can't wait to hear this. I've been digging the other discs even though many of the tracks were a bit "outside" and unfamiliar to me. It now sounds like I might have a shot at actually identifying some of them. ;)

But that's it for me reading this thread until I listen to the disc and post my thoughts.

Over and out!

I'm enjoying this piano disc. Lots of familiar sounds (and certainly a very good proportion of standards) by pianists well represented in my own collection, however at this point, the only definitive one that came to mind was on track #10, the cover of "Blackbird" which can be found here.

Will listen again to try to come up with more educated guesses.

Thanks for the disc, it's challenging.

Sorry for doing this in such a piecemeal fashion but as soon as I come up with the answer, I write a post rather than gather all the info together for one big post. Anyway, track #12 which I should have gotten a lot sooner (considering I'm a completist when it comes to him), is of course, "I Should Care" by another jazz giant, for which the current CD issue (I only have it in LP form) is found here

Edited by MartyJazz

Just want to say that the version of "The Man I Love" (track #8) is absolutely terrific. Really cooks. Can't wait to find out who that is.

Another terrific cut, altho definitely earlier is the version of "Just One of Those Things" (track #6). Very Tatem-esque (is that Big Sid Catlett on drums?), but since it's so early '40s sounding, I'm somewhat stumped partially due to the sheer length (7 mins +) of this track.

Finally, I'll hazard a guess on the unknown title that is track #2. Jelly Roll Morton?

It appears Alexander is the anti-couw with his definite fondness for the ivories. After several listens, I'm not very confident in most of my guesses. Very nice set.

1. Tommy Flanagan?

2. Sidney Bechet?

3. Bill Mays? I actually thought of Jack Wilson, who I'm more familiar with.

4. Earl Hines?

5. Satin Doll. Could be Ahmad Jamal.

6. Barry Harris or Oscar Peterson. Much manual dexterity, fittting the music well here.

7. Nice Lush Life on solo piano. Roland Hanna?

8. I don't really think it's John Hicks, but I'm running out of guesses.

9. I thought of Tatum earlier, but this has gotta be Art Tatum

10. Blackbird, by the Beatles. I think this might be Brad Mehldau or Marian McPartland

11. Someday my prince will come. Keith Jarrett

12. I'm also guessing The Keith Jarrett Standards trio. Hopefully one of the two will be right.

13. Herbie Hancock? I don't know any live trio dates off the top of my head.

14. John Hicks?

15. The lyricism reminds me of Jarrett, but the vocalisms aren't there and I've used up a couple of Jarrett guesses already. I'll say Bill Evans.

Thought I had that opening 'Body and Soul' track figured out. That left hand could only belong to Jimmy Rowles. I searched through my Rowles albums and could only find his solo version on the Jazziz LP 'Jazz Is a Fleeting Moment' but that B&S was a 9m3s version. Very similar but not exactly the same. It even crossed my mine for a second that Alexander had doctored his opening track but there were several differences (arpegios that were in one version, not on the other) until I remembered the Rowles participation in that beautiful Columbia session Stan Getz Presents Jimmie Rowled 'The Peacocks'. And there it was, that superb solo! One of two solos on the album.

Now an important question: is it Jimmy or Jimmie Rowles!

More answers/suggestions later this weekend...

I’m enjoying this disc. A pianofest was something I considered for my test #3, and pianists have been in the forefront of my collecting and listening over the past couple of years. That’s the good news. The bad news is, there are SO many great pianists that I feel like I’m still a novice when it comes to grasping the entire history and being able to easily recognize a lot of players. This is difficult to do, I think. At least I recognized some tunes...

1. Body and Soul. Very lovely treatment, with nice pianistic flourishes and harmonic understanding. This is a master player, and one with refinement and taste... and restraint (plenty of technique, but not flashing it around constantly). There are a lot of players who are capable of something like this, and right now no specific personality is coming through for me... so, four stars, and I wish I could name a couple of likely candidates. I’ll have to spin it again (and again)...

2. ? Before my time. :) 1920’s? I like it, but I guess I don’t love it.

3. ? This composition is very interesting, and sounds somewhat familiar, but I can’t name it. I like this better than #2, even if I’m just as lost.

4. Sounds like the 1930’s to me. Kind of reminds me of some of the Gershwin piano roll stuff. I like this one a lot. Gives me a warm & happy feeling. In fact, I’ll bet I own this one. :rolleyes:

5. Satin Doll. Man, this focus on pianists is interesting- and fun! A nice challenge (wish I was up to it). I’m hearing just a touch of bebop phrasing on this one, which is throwing me a little bit. That drummer is really up front in the mix... wow. Overall, this performance is a little generic/dubious to my ears. I don’t hear a lot of personality in it, and that ending was a little weak. I guess I’ll have to try listening again.

6. Just One Of Those Things. Tatumesque runs, but without quite the harmonic adventure that Tatum was known for. Wow... there can’t be that many players who could execute like this, but I’m groping for ideas. Sounds like a 40’s or 50’s era recording/artist. Fantastic technique. I don't think I've heard Nat Cole wail quite like this... Teddy Wilson? (the touch seems more aggressive than Wilson...). More research/review required...

7. Lush Life. Strayhorn?

8. The Man I Love. I really like this, but again, nothing is jumping out at me yet in terms of being able to I.D. the pianist.

9. I feel like I should know the title... but I don’t. This one doesn’t do a whole lot for me (the song or the playing). Probably the rhythm, and the melody I find a bit hokey... (sorry).

10. Blackbird, the Beatles tune. I’ve heard this one before on KCSM, but I can’t recall who recorded it. I think it’s a fairly recent recording by one of the current heavies, like Mehldau or Rosnes...

11. Someday My Prince Will Come. Live. Hmm... I have recordings of this by pianists, but I don’t think I own this one. The moaning and groaning should be a tipoff here, but I’m struggling to match things up. Sounds like a relatively modern recording (say, post 70’s). Damn I hate these blindfold tests... :) Could it be Jarrett? I know he's a moaner...

12. I Should Care. Monkish, but not quite Monkish enough to be Monk... hmm... wow, it’s over already. That was short and sweet.

13. I don’t know this tune. Sounds like a post-bop Blue Note kind of tune... but the recording sounds (again) relatively modern. A lot of cats can play this style, but this player is really in command on this. Very fluid and in control, great technique. Not my favorite type of piano jazz, but I’m impressed nonetheless.

14. Pleasant, but doesn’t really grab me in any way. Have no idea who...

15. Body and Soul again. Creative arrangement, and fantastic piano tone. I strongly prefer the treatment on track 1, though.

Wow, very well put together, Alexander. Really great stuff. There were no “gimmies” here, to my ears (no Tatum, no Garner, no Monk)... nothing really obvious to me. That makes it a lot more fun and challenging. This is the kind of test that I could enjoy working on for months (and it would probably take me that long just to narrow things down). Well, I’m going to go back and spin this sucker some more. Thanks for the great stuff!