Blindfold Test #9

Alexander

the answers thread tells you all about it. no peeking tho! 

oh.. stupid me... I looked at my cd library and other online sources and forgot the most obvious one: the answer thread B) Cool man.

Cheers, Tjobbe

BTW: luckily this time I do not need to buy to much CD's afterwards :g as the one I would buy is obvioulsy OOP

Edited by tjobbe

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, this really went fast! I got the disc yesterday, first chance to listen to it today, and already the answers are there... almost too fast, for a two-legged-anachronism such as I.

I did not read anything, as usual. Hope it won't be all too embarassing ;)

#1: "Body & Soul", God in the house, I guess. Great opener! At some moments, I always took it for Mingus (but that says more about Mingus' piano playing, of course, than Tatum's).

#2: Nice clarinet. Maybe I should know this, but then my George Lewis has not been explored thoroughly yet, or at least not been internalized.

#3: Don't like the sound here. The music is interesting, though. It's mostly the way the drums are recorded that bothers me a bit. No idea who this could be.

#4: Nice one, no idea.

#5: "Satin Doll", no idea who's playing, a good one.

#6: "Just One Of Those Things". Love that intro. Makes me think of God again. A great performance! Love it! I guess it's from the Tatum/Callender/Jo Jones group masterpieces session (although that box is far from me, right now). Jones was a master with the brushes. A great great performance!

#7: Another great standard, "Lush Life". This disc turns into a master-pianists-play-great-songs-feast at this point! No idea who's playing here.

#8: Gershwin's "The Man I Love", another song I love. Hell, there's two of them pianists here! Could this be from the Brookmeyer/Evans album? I always wanted to hear that one, yet never had a chance so far. Great performance.

#9: More stride. No idea, but this makes me want to explore earlier jazz piano, and all earlier (I mean: pre-bop) jazz, in general!

back to

#8: Really like it! So the intro would be Brookmeyer alone, and then Evans joins?

A bit of an awkward mix (drums again, mostly). Michael, if you're reading: WE WANT A NICE (MALCOLM ADDEY) REISSUE OF THIS ONE!

#10: Mehldau? Not, though, from one of the discs I have, if it is him. Not sure.

#11: "Someday My Prince Will Come", Disney, no? A great performance, I was really caught listening hard! Jarrett-Peacock-DeJohnette. Love this trio! Don't think this is from a recording I have. AMG only lists it on "Up For It" (which I in fact don't have):

. . . and the just under mid-tempo "Someday My Prince Will Come" are given such impeccable lyrical treatment it's almost breathless.
Mr Jurek gets it right, here, in my opinion.

Great to hear Jarrett surrounded by other (earlier) pianists! I never happened to think of other influences on him besides Evans (I mean, I knew there were, but I just never thought about it).

#12: "I Should Care" - no idea, but a slight feel I might know it, or rather should know, but fail to recognize...

#13: A nice one, unknown, alas, to me.

#14: A very good one, again unknown. Good drummer!

#15: "Body & Soul" again (immediately recognizable, a tune that's pretty easy given away by its changes alone, it seems). Very atmospheric playing.

A very enjoyable disc! Thanks a lot! :tup

ubu

Well, as usual, a few I have but don't know too well yet: the Timmons, I have heard on my father's oooold beat up Riverside LP, but it's been ages, and that was really far from obvious! The Rowles (#1): I got this disc maybe a year ago, listened to it a couple of times, and never since... and it's the only Rowles so far that I have.

And god bless them Zoll-guys! If not for them, I might have been the young one to lead you old men to the Brookmeyer/Evans... (I'd love to hear that one!)

ubu

Uh, well, obviously I have the short Monk one, too, but as Mike said, bloody customs made this quite a mess!

And I have "In A Mist", but I put those bad Columbia discs on some pile of to-get-rid-of-discs the day I heard about the Mosaic (which I still don't have). Only listened to that music once or twice, three or four years ago.

Then also I have the Jelly Roll, but as yet unlistened (if it is part of the 5CD RCA set or the one Commodore/GRP CD, if not, I don't have it)

ubu

And god bless them Zoll-guys! If not for them, I might have been the young one to lead you old men to the Brookmeyer/Evans... (I'd love to hear that one!)

Your wish is my command, your highness ..... ;)

Ahem, I was slightly earlier with my identification .....

and if you want some more Rowles, there's plenty here.

Your wish is my command, your highness ..... ;)

Ahem, I was slightly earlier with my identification .....

and if you want some more Rowles, there's plenty here.

Thanks, but I got to get started on all the Wes first! Great birthday present, really!

ubu

Alexander,

I'm dumb. There's finally a disc for me which totally nails what I like (I'm a piano jazz guy) and because I got the disc so late (problem has been discussed elsewhere), I couldn't resist peeking, then looking ... and finally reading intensively long before I got my sweaty hands on the disc.

Sucks.

I'm dumb.

The only thing I can say in my defense is that it can also be fun working on the anticipation level up to a point at which you rip the letter open and kick-start the CD Player before the disc is fully out of the sleeve.

I love the disc, but I have nothing to contribute. I have some of this stuff, of course, I'm sure I would have recognized lots of it (yeah, right) and I could have made some pretty nifty and totally accurate guesses, had I not read all the answers before. I mean, just one peek told me that this was going to be my kind of disc and from there on my curiosity got the better of me.

Sorry!

But, without denting the value of the other BFT discs, this is my favourite so far.

Thanks!

Love it!

I'll post a few more thoughts towards when the experts and honest BFT participants have had their say.

Cheers!

Alexander - I've only just got my copy and I've been avoiding reading other people's comments. But now I see the answers are up so I'll go straight from here to there.

Thanks for a really interesting selection. I enjoyed hearing the earlier although it's not my thing usually.

1. Body and Soul is masterly and I keep doing the deja vu thing without coming up with a name. I'm sure I'll be kicking myself soon on this one if not others.

2. Love the spirit - the only horn - no idea who.

3. Starts off like a line drawing and I wish it had stayed like that. OK but I don't like the continual emphasis on the offbeat - not my kind of jazz.

4. Don't know the tune. Could it be Tatum?

5. Satin Doll. Don't know.

6. Just One of Those Things. Might this be Tatum - more likey than 4 I guess.

7. Blood Count - composer playing? Strayhorn?

8. The Man I Love - lovely tunes in this - can't guess who.

9. Yeah! No idea though.

10. Brad Mehldau - Blackbird - Art of the Trio Volume One - Larry Grenadier and Jorge Rossy. I hate Beatles tunes but this is about the only one I can stand for a while.

11. I Hear a Rhapsody - Keith Jarrett. Dead give-away with the groaning and moaning. Don't know the album because although I recognise he is a very good player, I can't stand the histrionics.

12. I Should Care. No ideas again.

13. Just can't get the tune. Bill Evans?

14. At a loss.

15. Body and Soul again. That's all I know.

Now for the frustrating bit. It's been fun though, Alexander, - thanks again.