Bethlehems girlfriends (and boyfriends?)

Tony Pusey

I have never really listened to jazz singers, and I am about to begin to right that wrong. I realy like the Bethlehem label and would like recomendations from board members of where to start with singers on Bethlehem. I have no preference if these are the Avenue Jazz reissues or the great Toshiba reissues.

Well, I like the Joe Derise, and the Carmen McRae. I've never heard the Nina Simone and would like to . . . .

I think I have heard all the Mel Tormes on the label, and they are my favorite Mel Tormes.

I would recommend the Derise, McRae and say "The California Suite" by Torme as good starting points. . . .

Also, though it may be an acquired taste, Î've learnted to like the two cd "Porgy and Bess" compilation, whole lot of singing going on there too.

I heartily second the Helen Carr recommendation. This is a great CD (domestically released), and used copies can readily be found at good prices. There seems to be a great number of Toshiba Bethlehem reissues of albums by little known female jazz singers, and I would love to hear board members' input on these.

The six Mel Torme Bethlehems are quite good, and I think that they are only a shade behind Torme's best Verve albums (i.e., "Swings Shubert Alley", "Torme", and "Count Basie and Duke Ellington Songbooks"). My favorites of the six are "It's a Blue World" and "Lulu's Back In Town".

The three Chris Connor Bethlehems ("Sings Lullabys of Birdland", "Chris", and "This Is Chris") are not to be missed as I think that they are on par with her best Atlantic albums.

I also recommend the two Bethlehem Johnny Hartman CD's that I have: "All of Me" and "Sings from the Heart". I cannot recall off the top of my head whether or not there was a third Bethlehem Hartman album.

I also like the 2-CD "Porgy and Bess" set, but why oh why did Bethlehem choose to use Francis Faye as Bess instead of Chris Connor?!

I have read that the Bobby Troup Bethlehems are also quite good, even though they might be a bit of an acquired taste for some.

Edited by Edward

Guest ariceffron

has anyone ever heard this 5 or 6 or so lp bethlehem box set i have- its a comp. of every artist on the label up to the point it was relased-- its really neat. its called bethlehem's best

Another :tup for the Helen Carr!

Also I'm a big fan of Tormé's Bethlehem dates. Like "Lulu" is my favorite, but "Sings Fred Astaire" comes close. Also there are some very good things on the live at the Crescendo albums!

The "Porgy & Bess" 2CD set is a good one, too.

Then, the Chris Connor dates are all very good, in my opinion.

Carmen McRae's album is good, too, but not as interesting, in my opinion, as the Connor dates.

The two Hartmans mentioned are alright (but I should listen to them again soon, it's been some time.

Then I'm not sure about Faye. Would have to spin it, too.

ubu

Marilyn Moore? Mmmmmmm! A favorite. She was married to Al Cohn when she made that 'Moody Marilyn Moore'. Am quiet fond of her singing but that may know be to everyone's taste. And the people backing here are outstanding: Joe Wilder on trumpet, Cohn on tenor, Don Abney on piano, Barry Galbraith on guitar.