For Easter, I got a gift card to Borders, and walked out with:

g19519xcch3.jpg

Song For the New Man

Fathead (tenor on all tunes except one)

John Hicks

Curtis Fuller

John Menegon

Jimmy Cobb

As with Houston Person and Teddy Edwards, High Note is doing a great job documenting the later, more-brilliant-with-each-passing year phase of the great Fathead's career. Beautiful ballad playing (Time after Time and When I Fall in Love), choice hard bop cover (This I Dig of You), a nice tribute to his former boss, Herbie Mann, and other solid originals.

Even Curtis Fuller sounds good-to my ears, he's going for fewer notes these days, but this day was definitely a good one for him.

Buy this album!!!

Edited by Dan Gould

High Note--a big tip of the hat to them for all they've done re: Person/Edwards/Newman/Hicks in the past few years.

Today I just picked up "The New Hang" by Don Braden on High Note. I like the chance element of trying new releases--I'd never heard Braden, or anyone on the CD, before. Happy to say it's good stuff. Kyle Koehler on organ was nice and groovin', Cecil Brooks was thrashing away on drums (in a good way. I like loud, even invasive, drumming). Braden sounded good too. ON the first spin tonight, he reminded me a little of Golson, though I couldn't tell you why. Anyway, another good 'un on High Note.

Braden also has solid recordings on Criss Cross and Doubletime. He was also on RCA for several releases, and his Organic, if I recall correctly, also had Fathead on it. In fact, I think there's a Fathead tune on Organic which Fathead recorded for this new CD.

All of his High Notes are good ones.

Unfortunately, it's been three or four years since I've seen him live (a fantastic concert paired with Marchel Ivory at Fair Park in Dallas).

A favorite from his Atlantic years is Newmanism, which has the slight gloss of then comtemporary commerciality, but actually has some of his best playing on record (Foxey Brown and Violet Don't Get Blue, especially).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...7449908-6136144  

couw,

I showed Fathead the actual photograph that you did your "thing" on. I told him my better half thought he looked menacing and he just laughed. He's the nicest guy in person, I gave him the photograph and had him sign one for me.

Dan, sorry to hijack the thread but I just learned how to post photographs, so I've gone a little crazy :wacko: .

Mark

couw,

I showed Fathead the actual photograph that you did your "thing" on.  I told him my better half thought he looked menacing and he just laughed. He's the nicest guy in person, I gave him the photograph and had him sign one for me.

Dan, sorry to hijack the thread but I just learned how to post photographs, so I've gone a little crazy :wacko: .

Mark

maybe the falling hand should be in the pic to "demenace" it all. I think A_Bras swill have some ideas.

Edited by couw