Don Ellis Reissues

jamn

Autumn was on French Columbia CD COL 472622 2.

Shock Treatment was on Koch Jazz CD KOC CD-8590.

Electric Bath was on Columbia Legacy CD CK 65522.

All other Columbia LPs of Don Ellis were never reissued on CD anywhere in the world, AFAIK. Some retailer told me it may have to do with the Ellis estate sitting on the publishing rights, making licensing for reissue difficult.

Don Ellis at Fillmore and Tears of Joy are great! If you have them on vinyl, why bother?

Some retailer told me it may have to do with the Ellis estate sitting on the publishing rights, making licensing for reissue difficult.

If you are talking about "music publishing rights" this does not hold water. By US law, once a tune has been recorded, any version is possible if statutory rates are paid. The publisher can only control the right to first recording.

If your friend meant "artist rights", I do not believe Ellis had enough clout to get a special deal from Columbia at that time.

Sorry, I must clarify. I was referring to the long past heyday of jazz reissuance on CD. Even as I sit here listening to the delightful new reissue of The Cry of My People by Archie Shepp, I just don't see Columbia and the big labels continuing to "put it all out there" for our consumption at low/negative margin. After Electric Bath came out, there were expectations that Columbia would do Tears of Joy and Autumn. Then nothing. There are of course lots of terrific jazz LPs that will never be reissued on CD due to low demand, but I get very hung up on monopoly control where there is no alternative market. Perhaps that will change with digital rights technology, on-line distribution, etc. but time is wasting and so are the tapes.

Here is the Ellis discography. Still cannot understand for the life of me why the best ones have not been reissued.

Official Don Ellis Website

How Time Passes

Candid CCD-79004 (1987)

Out of Nowhere

Candid CCD-79032 (1989)

New Ideas

New Jazz OJCCD-431-2 (1992)

Essence

Live at Monterey

EMD/Blue Note 94768 (1998)*

Live in 32/3 /4 Time

Pacific Jazz CD23996 (2000)*

Electric Bath

GNP Crescendo 2223 (1994)*

Shock Treatment

Koch Jazz CD-8590 (2001)*

Autumn

The New Don Ellis Band Goes Underground

Don Ellis at Fillmore

Tears of Joy

Connection

Soaring

Haiku

Music From Other Galaxies and Planets

Live at Montreux

Koch Jazz CD-51410 (2002)*

*CD reissue contains more tracks than the original release

Edited by jamn

This Don Ellis site is nice, but not up to date:

The list omits the Legacy reissue of Electric Bath I posted above.

Then there is a CD with the soundtrack of "French Connection", music that was not on the Connection LP, but this is only for diehard Ellis collectors.

Responding to Chuck's comments:

You're probably right. It was more of a speculation on my friends' side. I'd rather think that Columbia doesn't see too much sales potential - that they didn't continue after Electric Bath and Koch doing Shock Treatment suggests this. Bob Belden, who produced the Bath reissue, reducing his activities as a reissue producer after his automobile accident, may be another factor.