How's the weather?

Yeah, I've been to the Athelney spot a few times - now little more than a bump in the ground. At the time of Alfred The Great (who holed up there prior to Battle of Eddington, near Westbury) it would have been reeds and marshland and Athelney itself a small fortified island, very difficult to find and access without local knowledge. A good place therefore for hiding out from Danes (the local history has it that the burning of the cakes legend may well have been based on fact and probably originated from this area). There was also an exquisite jewelled pointer found at Athelney - one of the finest Saxon objects ever found - now in the Ashmolean Museum I believe.

The only thing I remember for the tourists at Athelney is some ruins of the Abbey and a few historical exhibits on show (medieval tiles and the like).

Anyway, back to the weather. Looks nice out there. :)

Edited by sidewinder

For the past two weeks with only a break of a couple of days this week, the temps have been in the 100's every day. I'm in San Bernardino but where I am is is always 5-10 degrees hotter than appears on weather forecasts. Yesterday it was 105 degrees in the shade on my patio. :angry:

BruceW

Clearly, summer's over! According to my computer it was 7C outside first thing this morning and a touch of frost is forecast for tonight. Time they put the August Bank Holiday back to early August!

Well, I got it wrong! We've now had several days of clear skies and sunny weather, tho' cool at night. Temperature range 20/12C. We call this sort of weather at this time of year an "Indian summer". Is that expression used in the States?

Another great day down here today. Can't believe my luck in taking this week off as holiday. Who needs to go abroad when it's as good as this?

It's been brill! Though sadly tied in with a week I've had to work indoors ready for school restarting next week. I'm sure I booked this weather for early August, not September.

Hope it doesn't keep up next week...'Sir, it's too 'ot to wok.'

Well, I got it wrong! We've now had several days of clear skies and sunny weather, tho' cool at night. Temperature range 20/12C. We call this sort of weather at this time of year an "Indian summer". Is that expression used in the States?

I'd suspect so...given the tune 'Indian Summer'. Victor Herbert, Wiki says.

Very nice Sidney Bechet version; and a lovely Jim Hall version from the mid-70s.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Rain forecast for Monday - back to normal when they go back to school.

MG

Hope the sun lasts till Sunday. I'm going to an afternoon gig by Mark Nightingale with the Swing Shift Big Band at the Royal Clifton Hotel, Southport, right opposite the pier and I'm hoping for a walk. :)

Hope the sun lasts till Sunday. I'm going to an afternoon gig by Mark Nightingale with the Swing Shift Big Band at the Royal Clifton Hotel, Southport, right opposite the pier and I'm hoping for a walk. :)

Southport? If it's anything like Blackpool it'll be gale force winds and horizontal rain. At least it is everytime I go there. :rolleyes:

Confused me there, Bill. The North-West is 'here be dragons' country for me. I constantly get Southport and Stockport mixed up. Couldn't understand why there would be a pier or where they would put it. Perhaps it was like Wigan pier.

Confused me there, Bill. The North-West is 'here be dragons' country for me. I constantly get Southport and Stockport mixed up. Couldn't understand why there would be a pier or where they would put it. Perhaps it was like Wigan pier.

Yes, confusing! To help you orientate these places on your jazz map, I'll say that I don't know if Wigan ever had a pier, but that it used to have an excellent concert hall called The Mill on the Pier where I saw Arturo Sandoval, the Paquito D'Rivera/Claudio Roditi Quintet and American big bands led by Mel Lewis, Frank Foster, Phil Woods, Bill Holman and Frank Tiberi (in the name of Woody Herman). At the Davenport Theatre, Stockport I saw British big bands led by Shorty Rogers, Louie Bellson and Clark Terry. I've only recently discovered jazz in Southport and, as well as tomorrow's gig, I hope to catch the Kirk Lightsey Trio with Bobby Wellins there in October. Hope that makes things clearer! :)

Holy S**t

I just checked again and it is now 107 degrees on my patio. Not going outside again today. Feeling lethargic, can't concentrate on practice. Think I will just enjoy the US Tennis Open and some football on TV.

Edited by BruceW

Southport? If it's anything like Blackpool it'll be gale force winds and horizontal rain. At least it is everytime I go there. :rolleyes:

Sunshine and gentle winds today. And marvellous music, of course!

Sunshine and gentle winds today. And marvellous music, of course!

Glad the weather turned out well !

Looks like we are in for a mixed bag this week. Probably the tail end weather system of Hurricane Earl coming through I guess but this morning it looks fine. Can't believe how lucky I was last week with my week off.

• 2 weeks later...