How's the weather?

2 hours ago, Pim said:

Yeah and on the Dutch news as well as the place hit worst. But those temperatures aren’t very exceptional for that area are they? I have taught geography for a while and I am pretty sure Buffalo has a continental climate where it could become pretty cold during winter time.

Was thinking about Chuck and the city of Buffalo - the Times mostly covered how bad it is in their wrap up.

Pim, I think Buffalo is most famous for "lake-effect snow" in winter as weather systems move west to east, they are situated at the eastern end of Lake Erie, and the water feeds the system producing sometimes shocking accumulations.  This storm though is really off the charts.

Here outside of Tampa, we got the same low temperature as last night but the pipes have frozen, no doubt because the cold sank deeper, and partly, perhaps, aided by the lack of much of a warm up (high of 45 yesterday).

Mostly though my wife didn't run the faucets at all before she went to bed, so I hope that was not an extremely costly mistake.

23 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Was thinking about Chuck and the city of Buffalo - the Times mostly covered how bad it is in their wrap up.

Pim, I think Buffalo is most famous for "lake-effect snow" in winter as weather systems move west to east, they are situated at the eastern end of Lake Erie, and the water feeds the system producing sometimes shocking accumulations.  This storm though is really off the charts.

Here outside of Tampa, we got the same low temperature as last night but the pipes have frozen, no doubt because the cold sank deeper, and partly, perhaps, aided by the lack of much of a warm up (high of 45 yesterday).

Mostly though my wife didn't run the faucets at all before she went to bed, so I hope that was not an extremely costly mistake.

Ah I see thanks Dan. My geographical knowledge didn’t reach that far (I am teaching social studies and philosophy after all ;) ) anyway hope everyone is going to be okay over there! It’s getting warmer coming days right?

here it’s the typical dull grey 7 degrees Celsius Dutch winter weather…. I’m dreaming of a white….

55586731-0-BF9-4-BDC-B9-E8-1-D61978-C3-D

2 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

We are prohibited from driving and the emergency vehicles can't get through. Streets might be cleared in 2 days.

Just watched some silly citizen with a vehicle w/blade try to go down our street. Big FAIL. He backed out and went home.

Hopefully you stocked the fridge to last a few days

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

After a bitingly cold start yesterday at -7C with my garden clearance work (I must be a wimp these days) with Arctic chill, we are back to a mild Atlantic weather system. 50mph winds due overnight and tomorrow though !

Edited by sidewinder