How's the weather?

Man, I guess snow must be a rarity in the U.K. Wouldn't be any big deal in most parts of the Northern U.S. :D

Well, snow was getting to be pretty rare in England until last year, when the mercury dropped to -18C (0F) in Manchester one night in December. Two nights ago it was at -15C (3F). Are these temperatures commonplace where you live, or can we claim something exceptional? :rolleyes:

Here in my neck o'the woods the snow has the good sense to stay in the Sierra Nevada Mountaians. It is a very rare day when it snows on the San Joaquin Valley floor.

I had to climb one of our Giant Sequoias to get this shot:

20090310-california-thumb.jpg

General_Sherman_tree_sequoia.jpg

5_feet_of_snow.jpg

Edited by GoodSpeak

Man, I guess snow must be a rarity in the U.K. Wouldn't be any big deal in most parts of the Northern U.S. :D

Well, snow was getting to be pretty rare in England until last year, when the mercury dropped to -18C (0F) in Manchester one night in December. Two nights ago it was at -15C (3F). Are these temperatures commonplace where you live, or can we claim something exceptional? :rolleyes:

Snow is unexceptional here - tho we haven't experienced anything beyond a few flakes so far this season. But -15 & -18 aren't commonplace temperatures here - about 70 miles north of NYC. Don't envy you having to deal with the cold.

Yesterday was overcast and a bit of a thaw set in, though not enough to clear side roads. Today is clear skies and very cold so very little is shifting.

Tried for a second time to get to Clumber Park but it's closed. So I went to nearby Thoresby Park (north Notts is full of former stately homes - it's known as 'The Dukeries'). Never been before.

PC058884-1.jpgPC058940-1.jpg

PC059022-1.jpgPC059052-1.jpg

PC058917-1.jpgPC059056-1.jpg

Yesterday was overcast and a bit of a thaw set in, though not enough to clear side roads. Today is clear skies and very cold so very little is shifting.

Tried for a second time to get to Clumber Park but it's closed. So I went to nearby Thoresby Park (north Notts is full of former stately homes - it's known as 'The Dukeries'). Never been before.

Lovely photos, Bev. All our snow has disappeared and almost normal November temperatures.

Lovely photos, Bev. All our snow has disappeared and almost normal November temperatures.

Thanks, Jazzjet. All you had to do was point and click - the weather did all the hard work.

Snow in Cornwall - it was ever this, as I recall. One fall during my 1968-72 period there, gone by midday.

I vaguely recall some snow when I was doing my teaching practice in Redruth in early 1978. The school didn't close but lots of kids from the countryside were missing.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

While I do hate the snow, I have to say I really enjoyed those photos. Very nice. :tup

Thank you, Tom.

Here;s hoping that the conditions hold up for me to get down the A30 for the Mike Westbrook gig on Friday. Already had to cancel my trip up North this week !

Still a bugger getting off the estate but main roads were clear so back to school. Amazingly, most of the kids showed up. Must have been getting bored at home! Still very cold (-14 when I got in the car this morning, -10 when I got out this evening) so nothing is shifting.

This cold stuff is bringing some weird wildlife out. I swear I saw a curlew walk across the road this morning !

long-billed-curlew3--tom-munson.jpg

I saw a hare dash across the snow at Thoresby on Sunday, leaving prints behind. Wonderful sight. Loads of birds out - where I am there's loads of pheasants and other game because of the big estates. All desperately looking for food.

-15 degrees in the car this morning. And felt like it!