LF Bill Barron's Hot Line

Are you sure there was a domestic reissue on CD? I have the Japanese version. I checked a couple of my usually reliable sources and none of them even list a domestic version. According to AMG the only CD reissue was by Denon, which I believe is the Japanese reissue.

Edited by relyles

Bill Barron is a favorite of mine. I have every recording released under his name as a leader and I love them all. By coincidence I just discovered this Bill Barron discography on the internet that was compiled by the always reliable Michael Fitzgerald. Bill Barron Discography.

Now if I could just locate copies of the private recordings and radio broadcasts identified I could complete my collection.

• 1 year later...

I was listening to Barron's "Hot Line" this morning on the way to work and I was once again reminded at how much I dig this date.

Barron has such a unique sound to my ears. I just can't pin it down. He has that way of bending notes like a cat mewing a la Dexter Gordon (which could probably be described as the "Lester Young School") but he seems to twist the sound a certain way. One of the things I like the most is that Barron seems to get Booker Ervin to modify his usual solo style on a couple of tunes. Yeah, Booker gets stuck in his patented crying mode but he also does some unusual (for him) twisting around the beat, particualrly on the opening tune, "Bill's Boogie". It's a very nice tune.

I assume this date takes place very early on in brother Kenny's career because Bill doesn't give Kenny a whole lot of solo space and, is it me, or does the piano sound "off"? Of the other two rhythm players, for some reason I dig Larry Ridley's playing more than anyone. This may go down in history... I actually dig the bass player more than the piano or drummer. :) Andrew Cyrille seems to be a time-keeper here. Not a lot of accents and very little in the way of soloing.

Anyway, Savoy should get this date out there for everyone to hear. It's definitely a good one.

Later,

kevin