All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. romualdo

Ran Blake

Just received this in the latest DMG newsletter Friday, April 5th at 7:30pm RAN BLAKE - Shimmering Shadows Ran Blake will perform a rare NYC concert in solo and duo format with special guests. To celebrate the release of Ran’s biography, this concert will be inter-spliced with a live interview and film clips to present a retrospective of the life and music of this iconic pianist. At National Sawdust 80 North 6th St Brooklyn, NY 11249 (646) - 779 - 8455 info@nationalsawdust.org
  3. 14 runs in one inning, last done in 1900. Diamondbacks Shatter Modern-Day MLB Record on Opening Day (msn.com)
  4. Maladjusted – Seizing The Moment ... Netherlands 2003
  5. Today
  6. Arab Strap „Monday At The Hug & Pint“ (Chemikal Underground) 2003 …
  7. Unbelievable how Emil Gilels was "at home" with various composers .... this recital @ Salzburger Festspiele on August 9th, 1976 was no exception .... highly recommended ....
  8. Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) „You Will Eventually Be Forgotten" (Count Your Lucky Stars) 2014 ….
  9. The Radio Dept. ‎“Running Out Of Love“ (Labrador) 2016 …. painting by Geli Korzhev ....
  10. Indeed .... btw the inability of management/ownership to attract quality FA's/pitchers remains a neverending story .... would be great if one (or more ....) of the dark horses (longer under club control) would establish themselves in the Yankee's rotation ....
  11. Thanks,not familiar with either of those. The first one looks really good, the second, uh, "interesting", though I'll pass on it. Would like to see the first one.
  12. Thanks for posting this, Ken. Enjoying the Tatum set as I type!
  13. Zev can't reveal future projects until all of the contracts are signed and they have a planned released date in mind. His public relations rep, Ann Braithwaite, tells journalists about upcoming releases but they are embargoed so we can't say anything about them publicly until the labels are ready for them to be announced. I did learn that he has a huge set of Jazz at the Penthouse raw tapes so I am sure he is checking out selected artists when he has time to see if there is a good fit for a potential release. Like with Mosaic, he and his partners have to estimate all the costs involved in producing a set, then decide whether they can sell sufficient units to make it happen. I wish that US stations and radio networks did a better job of archiving live jazz broadcasts, though I know he has uncovered a wealth of music in the archives of various European radio networks. The one time I wrote liner notes for a concert aired by NPR on Jazz Alive!, Mel Torme with George Shearing and Gerry Mulligan, I was disappointed that they omitted all three Mulligan big band instrumentals. I guess Concord Jazz couldn't justify a 2 CD set of the entire show, which I had recorded off the air back around 1979 before I got into my twin careers in public radio and jazz journalism.
  14. Anything revealed about future releases or does he keep it close to the vest? I assume you would ask.
  15. Yesterday
  16. Great opening day win for the Yankees, defeating Houston 5-4 on the road after falling behind 4-0 in the first two innings. Juan Soto drove in NY’s first run with a single, walked twice, and made the play of the game with an outfield assist in the bottom of the 9th. Yankees looked simultaneously more relentless and more patient at the plate. Still dubious about our rotation, esp with Cole on the shelf for two months and possibly longer, but a thrilling and satisfying start to the season!
  17. Ken, I'd like to hear that! I'll look forward to seeing the link.
  18. I interviewed Zev Feldman via Zoom yesterday and it was a real blast talking to The Jazz Detective. I plan to air it on my show, which broadcasts April 14th, though I will gladly post an archive.org link, as few people have time to sit by a computer for two hours on a pretty Sunday afternoon. The RSD Art Tatum, Yusef Lateef and Chet Baker & Jack Sheldon RSD releases are incredible, still to be heard are the Sonny Rollins and Sun Ra. I may work in some of the previous RSD releases on Jazz Detective, Resonance and Elemental Music, depending on whether I do one show or two.
  1. Load more activity