• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quintessential Cecil Taylor. Fantastic. With Jimmy Lyons and Andrew Cyrille.

taylor_ceci_akisakila_101b.jpg

I haven't heard this one, must check this out. :tup

It's a double LP of a live performance in Japan. The record was issued in Japan. It's really good. Sonics are fine. A bit hard to find at the right price. Usually on EBAY for around $50. I finally got mine for $30, which I was happy with, as it was a US seller, so did not have to pay international shipping. You might do better if you hunt about. Worth it . The group is "all-in" on this one; very intense performance.

Quintessential Cecil Taylor. Fantastic. With Jimmy Lyons and Andrew Cyrille.

taylor_ceci_akisakila_101b.jpg

I haven't heard this one, must check this out. :tup

It's a double LP of a live performance in Japan. The record was issued in Japan. It's really good. Sonics are fine. A bit hard to find at the right price. Usually on EBAY for around $50. I finally got mine for $30, which I was happy with, as it was a US seller, so did not have to pay international shipping. You might do better if you hunt about. Worth it . The group is "all-in" on this one; very intense performance.

Still have my lp set of this as well as a cd reissue Art Union put out about 10 years ago. I prefer the eq of the cd.

colema_orne_friendsan_101b.jpg

Ornette Coleman - Friends and Neighbors (Flying Dutchman). If I had ever noticed that "Forgotten Songs" is the same tune as "What Is the Name of That Song?" from Of Human Feelings, I had forgotten.

Still have the lp and a French cd reissue of this too. Funny thing - Uncle Skid was here a couple of days ago and I pulled this out.

colema_orne_friendsan_101b.jpg

Ornette Coleman - Friends and Neighbors (Flying Dutchman). If I had ever noticed that "Forgotten Songs" is the same tune as "What Is the Name of That Song?" from Of Human Feelings, I had forgotten.

Still have the lp and a French cd reissue of this too. Funny thing - Uncle Skid was here a couple of days ago and I pulled this out.

Last week, when I was looking at the Ornette discography in the Body Meta LP, Friends and Neighbors was listed as "unauthorized". ???

"Last week, when I was looking at the Ornette discography in the Body Meta LP, Friends and Neighbors was listed as "unauthorized". ??? "

That's odd. Ornette has a co-producer credit on the Flying Dutchman LP. Perhaps the reference is to the RCA issue a couple of years later?

Listening to:

51CViH-fW4L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Three Dolphy compositions and three by Lake on this 1980 Black Saint album, which is very good. I like Lake pre-1980 or so, but his later stuff is hit or miss for me. I'm still trying to get a perspective on his work.

"Last week, when I was looking at the Ornette discography in the Body Meta LP, Friends and Neighbors was listed as "unauthorized". ??? "

That's odd. Ornette has a co-producer credit on the Flying Dutchman LP. Perhaps the reference is to the RCA issue a couple of years later?

That could be. I have the Flying Dutchman LP and didn't know there was an RCA issue. However, the recording listed in the Body Meta booklet as unauthorized is the Flying Dutchman.

That could be. I have the Flying Dutchman LP and didn't know there was an RCA issue. However, the recording listed in the Body Meta booklet as unauthorized is the Flying Dutchman.

I've been checking around and have found nothing to suggest that the record was issued without authorization. I did find a Billboard article from that time that identified Ornette as a Flying Dutchman artist, so things would appear to be copacetic at the time the album was released. Maybe a mistaken notation in the Body Meta listing, or a falling out afterwards. The Body Meta album is from 1978, so there might have been some hard-feelings by then as Flying Dutchman was on its way out or gone. Wikipedia says: "It was later distributed by RCA Records, which took over the label in 1976."

Joe Gordon "Lookin' Good" OJC-174. Excellent playing by all, Gordon never got his due, tragedy intervened. Altoist Jimmy Woods is very obscure but quite creative. Most earlier OJC's sound as least as good as originals,IMHO.

Herbie Hancock "Takin' Off", BST-84109, New York,USA. A neighbor asked me what I would recommend to a jazz novice, I played this. He asked to hear "Watermelon Man" again, he thought it was awesome, it is.

Kid Howard - Sam Morgan Re-Visited (sic) (Jazzology). Kid Howard and an eight-piece band (with two trumpets and two reeds) from the early 1960's cover half a dozen of Sam Morgan's old tunes. Two musicians (Jim Robinson and Andrew Morgan) who were on the original Morgan recordings are on hand, as are several who played with Morgan, but weren't on the 1920's records. Net result: these are some of the hottest, most intense New Orleans recordings I've ever heard; Captain John Handy's contributions are equal to his best work. The session wasn't long enough for a 12" LP, so they're augmented by four tracks by Kid Thomas and his Algiers Stompers.

And this record means a lot to me personally; I bought it at Preservation Hall on my very first visit to New Orleans. The Kid Howard/Sam Morgan session is now available on an American Music CD, for those who are interested.

22561_featureFW.jpg

Except mine's the London Atlantic mono

The lonely woman on the Atlantic/London cover was top model Sondra Peterson . Saw her a number of times when she was French jazz radio broadcaster (and director of Jazz Magazine) Daniel Filipacchi's companion. Filipacchi later headed Hachette Publications in France and the USA.

Always wondered who was on the cover. Amazing what one can learn here.

Ha, for a second I thought Wanda Jackson had made it onto a MJQ cover! :D

22561_featureFW.jpg

Except mine's the London Atlantic mono

The lonely woman on the Atlantic/London cover was top model Sondra Peterson . Saw her a number of times when she was French jazz radio broadcaster (and director of Jazz Magazine) Daniel Filipacchi's companion. Filipacchi later headed Hachette Publications in France and the USA.

Always wondered who was on the cover. Amazing what one can learn here.

Ha, for a second I thought Wanda Jackson had made it onto a MJQ cover! :D

Interesting bio from Wikipedia:

Sondra Peterson bio

Sondra Peterson (born 1935) is best known as one of the top models of the 1950s and 60s, regularly appearing on the covers of Vogue,Elle, French Vogue, Seventeen, Mademoiselle, Harper's Bazaar, Glamour and Marie Claire in the U.S. and Europe. Signed by Eileen Fordto the Ford Modeling Agency in 1957, she was photographed by the world's leading photographers, including Irving Penn, Richard Avedon,Frank Scavullo, Guy Bourdin, and Horst. She also appeared in TV commercials, including one directed by Irving Penn, and was profiled inEileen Ford's Book Of Model Beauty (published by Trident Press New York 1968).

Born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri, she was based in both New York and Paris during her modeling career, then settled in France for several years. She returned to the U.S. in the early 90s and lives in Westchester County, New York.

Recognized as a wildlife advocate, she is involved in land preservation, animal rights, and environmental issues.

[edit]