• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ted Curson "urge" (Fontana, Japan). DG 1st issue from 60s.  Just found out there was a second run of Japanese issues of this Fontana series from the early 80s. Which means I may have to upgrade a few of my other records in this series.  In fact I think the only Dutch original I own of this entire series is the Marion Brown "juba lee" album; all my other records in this series  are Japanese issues.

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

Have the UK issue of Urge with the 'Jazz Life' cover art. Looks fine and sounds finer. Excellent date.

I think the only Japanese ones I have are Consequences and Jazz Realities -- the rest are Dutch or UK. Awesome series full of great music.

Yup I totally agree Clifford.  There's no way I could afford to buy original issues of every single album I like so I'm content with the Japanese reissues but I'll always keep my eyes peeled for deals on originals ;)

Right now:

Freddie Hubbard "blue spirits" (blue note, NY USA stereo). Used to have a Liberty issue of this years ago that I got rid of, and I always regretted it.  It's a solid date with some interesting lineups.

Nirvana "bleach" (sub pop, USA). I bought this in 1989 when it came out; I was 16 years old.  I saw them live for the first time a year later when they opened for Sonic Youth in East Vancouver.  They still were unloading their own crappy van and Dale Crover from the Melvins played drums on that gig.  The second time I saw them was when I went to a Mudhoney gig at western Washington university in Bellingham.  It was held at the gymnasium and nirvana was the "surprise" opening act.  This was maybe a year or so later just after they got huge and before the release of "in utero".  Anyway...good memories!

15 hours ago, Homefromtheforest said:

Nirvana "bleach" (sub pop, USA). I bought this in 1989 when it came out; I was 16 years old.  I saw them live for the first time a year later when they opened for Sonic Youth in East Vancouver.  They still were unloading their own crappy van and Dale Crover from the Melvins played drums on that gig.  The second time I saw them was when I went to a Mudhoney gig at western Washington university in Bellingham.  It was held at the gymnasium and nirvana was the "surprise" opening act.  This was maybe a year or so later just after they got huge and before the release of "in utero".  Anyway...good memories!

nice - though I listened to Nirvana from 1991 pretty regularly until the hype machine went well beyond taking over, and I still appreciate their music, I never did get to see them. 

Now:

Booker Ervin - Exultation! - (Prestige blue label)

pressing isn't too hot but the music is burning.

MI0001730813.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Cliff Jordan - John Glmore: Blowing In From Chicago

Both of these gentlemen went on to other things and broadened their horizons but, for pure creative and adventurous blowing, I don't think that either of them surpassed what they played on this record - perhaps equaled, but never surpassed.

Great rhythm section too - Curly Russell should have gotten more record dates later on in his career.

Edited by paul secor

5 hours ago, paul secor said:

MI0001730813.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Cliff Jordan - John Glmore: Blowing In From Chicago

Both of these gentlemen went on to other things and broadened their horizons but, for pure creative and adventurous blowing, I don't think that either of them surpassed what they played on this record - perhaps equaled, but never surpassed.

Great rhythm section too - Curly Russell should have gotten more record dates later on in his career.

Must give it another listen.