• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tiny Grimes, Callin' The Blues - Swingville/OJC LP reissue

Callin%27_the_Blues.jpg

Hope this helps me overcome an almost sleepless night - too hot and damp - it's music of good spirit with inspired playing by all participants. Packing day, we'll be off tomorrow for three weeks in the North East of Germany.

Edited by mikeweil
duplication of posts - the 2nd time this happens today

Chico Hamilton Trio - Japanese LP reissue Liberty LLR-88039

51nCS%2BB-Z0L._SS500_SS280.jpg

Jim Hall or Howard Roberts guitar, George Duvivier bass, Chico Hamilton drums. They even vocalize on one track ...  I always why Michael Cuscuna never did a proper reissue of this, especially since the 12 inch LP omitted some tracks from the original 10 inch issues. For the complete sessions one has to go the Andorran way.

George Duvivier is great here, as always.

4 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Tiny Grimes, Callin' The Blues - Swingville/OJC LP reissue

Callin%27_the_Blues.jpg

Hope this helps me overcome an almost sleepless night - too hot and damp - it's music of good spirit with inspired playing by all participants. Packing day, we'll be off tomorrow for three weeks in the North East of Germany.

"Good spirit" says it. A favorite of mine.

R-4773201-1375057052-7148.jpeg.jpg

Jug Band Blues - Jim Kweskin & the Jug Band with Sippie Wallace and Otis Spann (Mountain Railroad)

Despite the billing on the cover, this is a Sippie Wallace record, with fine backing by Jim Kweskin's Jug Band and Otis Spann (on four tracks). Spann plays some magnificent piano.

On the CD reissue on Drive, Mark Humphrey's notes tell the story that Vanguard, the Kweskin Band's label at the time, rejected this record. Given some of the music that they did release, it's hard to understand where their ears were at. This is a wonderful record. The CD notes also contain an interesting anecdote of Louis Armstrong telling Ms. Wallace's manager in 1967: "This lady was a star. And don't you ever forget it." Louis told it like it was.

edit - just checked a discography because I was curious about the recording date - November, 1967 - and it turns out that the label that rejected this record was Reprise, not Vanguard. Apologies to Vanguard. If it had been Vanguard, perhaps they might have issued it.

Edited by paul secor

Jackie McLean "new soil" (Blue Note, stereo 47 w 63rd DG ear). Not sure why, maybe an early stamper, but this is one of my best sounding original blue notes.  I have a fairly good amount of originals and they all sound great but for whatever reason this one just leaps out of the speakers!!  

Edited by Homefromtheforest