wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

37,599 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Sounds plausible enough for me on a Sunday morning...lovely album even if the cover's macabre

Lots of folklore influences on those old CBS Realm covers. I guess that whole thing was 'in the air' at the time (in fact it was - I remember it). Other examples I cam think of are the Ray Russell 'Dragon Hill' and 'Rights and Rituals'.

Round my part of the country I can think of at least a couple of spots which to this day are named after old highwayman hanging spots. Prominent spots as a lesson to the locals and travellers. :unsure:

Edited by sidewinder

Posted (edited)

More Ray Bryant, Japanese LP reissue of the Signature LP (unlike the CD reissue done later it does not add the single of "Liitle Susie").

R-7093985-1433586367-9302.jpeg.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Lots of folklore influences on those old CBS Realm covers. I guess that whole thing was 'in the air' at the time (in fact it was - I remember it). Other examples I cam think of are the Ray Russell 'Dragon Hill' and 'Rights and Rituals'.

Round my part of the country I can think of at least a couple of spots which to this day are named after old highwayman hanging spots. Prominent spots as a lesson to the locals and travellers. :unsure:

I'll have to look closer at my Dragon Hill (the only other i have) No Hangman's Hill around here unless Ally Pally has a pre-BBC history of summary justice

R-5152422-1395676555-1906.jpeg.jpg

Fresh Sound LP reissue.

R-5527749-1395683222-1013.jpeg.jpg

From a Vanguard twofer LP reissue. 

R-1657498-1338104661-5841.jpeg.jpg

This trio was as much a Ray Bryant Trio as it was a Jo Jones Trio.

Now the larger group from the Vanguard twofer;

R-2842211-1303527790.jpeg.jpg

These recordings sound so good it's a shame they never were reissued in reasonable fashion. 

3 hours ago, mikeweil said:

These recordings sound so good it's a shame they never were reissued in reasonable fashion. 

I guess I'll treasure my UK original Vanguard vinyl (PPL 11002), then. ;)

It's a very nice one indeed.

Posted (edited)

Edit : wrong thread ....

Edited by soulpope

John Coltrane, Black Pearl (Prestige, gold label mono)

Don Patterson, Donny Brook (Prestige, purple label stereo). With Sonny Stitt, "Blue Grant" and Billy James.

23 hours ago, paul secor said:

Yeah - I did pick that up against my better judgement. I usually don't buy recordings that aren't authorized by the musician involved - especially if they're still living. I made an exception in this case, and I feel a little guilty when I listen to it.

I agree, except this set is too good for scruples.

6 hours ago, paul secor said:

R-9257154-1477661214-4937.jpeg.jpg

Hampton Hawes: For Real!

Superb ....

4 hours ago, soulpope said:

Superb ....

... but not quite what it might have been?

1 hour ago, BillF said:

Not sure, probably .... (IMO) the whole at least equals the sum of its parts and Harold Land in his early prime is a major factor here ....

Posted (edited)

Bradford/Modirzadeh/Dresser/Cline - Live At THe Open Gate [No Business]

Bobby Bradford/Frode Gjerstad Quartet - The Delaware River [No Business]

Bradford/Gjerstad/Haker Flaten/Nilssen-Love - Kampen [No Business]

such a great run, listened to in reverse for no particular reason. Gearing up for the new one, just announced by No Business

Edited by mjazzg
Bobby's no Booby

10 hours ago, BillF said:

Just curious ...

In what way do you think it falls short or isn't what it might (could) have been?

2 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Just curious ...

In what way do you think it falls short or isn't what it might (could) have been?

Is there a way of searching for the posts where this has been said in the past? I'm not the only one to have found this album disappointing. We have four masters who have appeared on albums that draw me back time and again, but somehow this one doesn't catch fire. Anyone out there agree - or rather, who was it who said this last time?

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, BillF said:

Is there a way of searching for the posts where this has been said in the past? I'm not the only one to have found this album disappointing. We have four masters who have appeared on albums that draw me back time and again, but somehow this one doesn't catch fire. Anyone out there agree - or rather, who was it who said this last time?

There is a dedicated "Hampton Hawes" thread started by forum member "catesta" on March 9th, 2004 - but all mentions of "For Real" are positive .... nevertheless its ok to have different valuations .... for what it's worth, I did have different expectations from Harold Land's "The Fox" (probably based in Dupree Bolton's fantastic playing on "Katanga") but over the time learned to appreciate the platter for what it is .... 

Edited by soulpope

Muggsy Spanier and His Ragtimers, volume 2 (Commodore ten inch)

Russ Freeman Trio (Pacific Jazz ten inch)

Count Basie, Basie (Clef)

Sam Lazar, Soul Merchant (Argo)

Gene Ammons and Sonny Sitt, Jug and Sonny (Cadet)

16 hours ago, paul secor said:

R-1993101-1375782054-7535.jpeg.jpg

Earl Hines: Once Upon a Time

I forget the name of the ballad (and of the clarinettist) on that LP, but it is a beautiful-sounding thing

2 hours ago, rdavenport said:

I forget the name of the ballad (and of the clarinettist) on that LP, but it is a beautiful-sounding thing

"You Can Depend on Me" and Pee Wee Russell?

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, rdavenport said:

You may be talking about "Fantastic, That's You", a quartet piece with Hines, Jimmy Hamilton, Aaron Bell, and Elvin Jones.

Edited by paul secor

R-2972998-1491470311-4982.jpeg.jpg

Charlie Feathers: The Legendary 1956 Demo Session (Zu-Zazz)

2 hours ago, paul secor said:

You may be talking about "Fantastic, That's You", a quartet piece with Hines, Jimmy Hamilton, Aaron Bell, and Elvin Jones.

Yes, that's the one, beautiful