• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pierre Boulez: Livre Pour Quatuor: I, II, & V

Giacinto Scelsi: Quartetto D'Archi No. 4

Earle Brown: String Quartet (1965)

The Scelsi composition on this album is totally amazing.

Gunther Schuller: Symphony Quartet for Double basses

Nina Simone: Little Girl Blue

Don Ellis: Live at Montreux

David Bowie: Starting Point

Ives, Hampton, Lybbert, Macero: New Music in Quarter-tones

VA: Pebbles vols. 1 & 2

Yardbirds: Shapes of Things

Hank Williams: The very best of HW

"Great Scott!! Ragtime, Minus You"

Scott Joplin collection which came with a music book with sheet music for all the tracks on the record.

For the longest time I wondered why the album cover still felt weighty, even after the record was on the turntable. DUH! :blink:

Previously,

"Woody Herman, 40th Anniversary Concert at Carnegie Hall"

and

Johnny Clegg & Savuka "Shadow Man".

A bit of advance posting before I actually reach for the turntable today but the first is going to be Jimmy Smith 'Plays Fats Waller' mono NY USA followed by the Larry Young Mosaic LP set. The weekend starts here.. ^_^

Oh - and seeing the Freddie Roach 'Good Move' listed above reminds me to also add this one to the pile. B-)

Edited by sidewinder

Johnny Clegg & Savuka  "Shadow Man".

I love this album! I have to admit my copy is cd. Shame, shame, shame on me! :(

I forgive you. :wub: It was only chance that mine is vinyl. I am always amazed at what people give to the Salvation Army and to Goodwill.

We don't have such a charitable organizations for vinyl lovers! :g

Johnny Clegg & Savuka  "Shadow Man".

I love this album! I have to admit my copy is cd. Shame, shame, shame on me! :(

I forgive you. :wub: It was only chance that mine is vinyl. I am always amazed at what people give to the Salvation Army and to Goodwill.

We don't have such a charitable organizations for vinyl lovers! :g

Even yard sales and second-hand stores quite often have old vinyl, discarded by misguided philostines, I've found. If you can shelve your discomfort at sifting through old lamps and rejected clothing, it's possible to score some great stuff for as little as fifty cents a disc. I must confess though that I prefer to go to a vintage vinyl place in the barred-window section of town for old records, even though I have to pay up to twenty dollars for some two-record sets. The average price there is around eight dollars. It was months before I realized that they kept their JazzTones in a separate section, although they were in the eight to ten dollar range. In short, a goldmine!!

Also, it wouldn't hurt to do what a dear friend of mine does. He checks the obituaries and waits for yardsales in old sections of town by the wife of the deceased. I frowned when he told me this, but it makes sense.

On that note, I was, as I think I mentioned earlier, gifted with a new turntable by a friend in his early twenties, who had never listened to a record and didn't know what a "45" was. It is a marvelous turntable, although, unlike the one I had previously, it has no "78" speed.

We who love vinyl are a dying breed, it seems. My children are just a little embarrassed that I still listen to records, although I do, of course have CD's as well as audio-tapes, though no 8-tracks. [i would be, oddly, embarrassed to still have those.]

Funny story. I know a man who made a little T-shaped side table from old 8-tracks and tons of duct-tape. He seemed surprised that his lovely wife refused to have the table in their living room. :lol:

Back on topic, spinning right now, "Lena Horne At The Astoria". [mint. yard-sale. One dollar.]

Edited by patricia

Post-turkey listening session:

c963193l88i.jpg

Freddie Hubbard - "Straight Life"- with Joe Henderson, Herbie Hancock, George Benson, Ron Carter, and Jack DeJohnette. CTI. A classic session. 1970.

Then:

DAVE LIEBMAN - "PENDULUM" 1978- Artists House

Randy Brecker on trumpet, Richard Beirach on piano, Frank Tusa on bass, and Al Foster on drums. Recorded live at the Vilage Vanguard. Cool version of Shorter's "Footprints"

Some vocals:

A JAZZ DATE WITH CHRIS CONNOR

Atlantic 1286. Some great sidemen on this gig: Oscar pettiford, Sam Most, Al Cohn, Eddie Costa, Osie Johnson, Ralph Sharon. 1956.

c8908637nm5.jpg

Blue Mitchell plays trumpet. 1972. Polydor.

blue%20note4%20067_thumb.jpg

Blue Note (United Artists) 84413. 1971. GG playing some very funkified jazz/R&B, with a big band behind him. Odd, but the thing does swing.

d124271327p.jpg

Epic PE 30325. 1971. The ultimate party album.

When you put the LPs from around 1970 together, one can see a desire, maybe for commercial, maybe for artistic, reasons, to pull together jazz, R&B, rock, funk.

More Blue Note this morning. Jackie McLean 'New and Old Gospel' Liberty pressing. This collaboration with Ornette Coleman on trumpet works suprisingly well.

To be followed up with Big John Patton 'Got a Good Thing Goin'' mono NY USA. Another real good-un from Big John. :tup

f86230e9yd5.jpg

Edited by sidewinder

Just finished transfering the last sessions from the COMPLETE SIDNEY BECHET BLUE NOTE Mosaic vinyl set to CD-R - and I have to say that last date with Jonah Jones on trumpet and Buddy Weed on piano is a real sleeper, very much underrated. Listening to the whole set over a period of several days, with close attention, I think it's easily as good as the best of the earlier BN sessions, possibly better.