Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Playing my newies

Lionel Hampton - Flying home - Verve (Polydor UK)

Lionel_Hampton_Flying_Home.jpg

Erskine Hawkins orch - Horizons du jazz 17 - RCA France - no image for this, which is a pity.

Earl Grant - Trade winds - Decca (Brunswick UK)

3voear26.jpg

Earl Grant - The versatile Earl Grant - Decca (Colortune) Deep Groove!!!

earlgrant.jpg

MG

A nice evening with the vinyl:

George Freeman - Franticdiagnosis (Bam-boo) Thanks to The Magnificent Goldberg for introducing me to this bizarre and wonderful album.

Captain John Handy - John Handy's New Orleans Jazz (Polydor International) A great 1965 album, not released in the U.S., with Alvin Alcorn and Dave "Fat Man" Williams, among others.

Snooks Eaglin - Down Yonder (GNP Crescendo) The New Orleans guitar genius had recorded R & B singles and folk/blues albums, but this 1977 record was his first full-length R & B album. Ellis Marsalis, Clarence Ford and the French brothers (George and Bob) are on board.

Dodo Greene--My Hour of Need (Blue Note NY USA)

That must be the one Blue Note album from the classic period that I've never heard ! :unsure:

It's OK. If you like Soul Jazz vocals done in a not terribly distinguished way, with a superb backing band, you can get some enjoyment out of this. I think I'll dig it out and give it a spin. (The CD, that is.) :D

MG

Dodo Greene--My Hour of Need (Blue Note NY USA)

That must be the one Blue Note album from the classic period that I've never heard ! :unsure:

Me either, until this listen--I was astounded to find this copy at my local Half Price Books this week for $8. I agree with MG's assessment.

Ahmad Jamal at the Blackhawk (Argo)

Edited by kh1958

Playing my new Earl Grants

The versatile Earl Grant - Decca (Colortune DG)

This one is definitely a good Earl Grant to pick up cheap; even better on a second listen. Some real nice Plas Johnson and a nice solo by unidentified guitarist who may have been one of the West Coast well known players (1958) or perhaps someone in the Ernie Freeman ambit.

Trade winds - Decca (Brunswick UK)

This too is even better second time around. The treatment of "Quiet village" is definitely appropriate to accompany a stripper - and so is "Sweet Leilani", would you believe? Lots of nice Plas in this one, too. But the overall message is pretty lounge, still, but with quirks. I bet TTK would go for this one.

MG