• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bought the above just before the CD era to replace my original copy which some borrowing **** failed to return:

Thelonious-Monk-Brilliant-Corners-532044.jpg

I guess the people at London did a pre-Photoshop Photoshop of Monk with stock footage of Picadilly Circus at night. :lol:

But I think it looks quite nice, you know?

Bought the above just before the CD era to replace my original copy which some borrowing **** failed to return:

I guess the people at London did a pre-Photoshop Photoshop of Monk with stock footage of Picadilly Circus at night. :lol:

But why change it?

But why change it?

I agree. I'm sure it's got something to do with licensing, but , who knows, maybe London label didn't like the original album and thought this would look and sell better. Monk's smiling face and the London night scene might bring a few punters in who might otherwise not pick it up. It's odd to see Monk on an album cover without a hat; most of the time (not all) he's got some cool looking hat on.

I was taking stock of my Nessa LPs, decided to give this one a spin. I've only seen this LP once while out shopping; mint copy (soI bought it). Perhaps it is it more often spotted in the Chicago-Midwest area? Great sound BTW.

johnso_eddi_indiansum_101b.jpg

Edited by Leeway

But why change it?

I agree. I'm sure it's got something to do with licensing, but , who knows, maybe London label didn't like the original album and thought this would look and sell better. Monk's smiling face and the London night scene might bring a few punters in who might otherwise not pick it up. It's odd to see Monk on an album cover without a hat; most of the time (not all) he's got some cool looking hat on.

More often hatless in the earlier photos.

51lgKSn7j8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51IW6AXOd%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51OVzrNCjlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41HRC8JYM5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

61kiRHS%2BPuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But why change it?

More often hatless in the earlier photos.

51lgKSn7j8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51IW6AXOd%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51OVzrNCjlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41HRC8JYM5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

61kiRHS%2BPuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I think he had more hair then.

I was taking stock of my Nessa LPs, decided to give this one a spin. I've only seen this LP once while out shopping; mint copy (soI bought it). Perhaps it is it more often spotted in the Chicago-Midwest area? Great sound BTW.

I've been collecting for years and honestly never saw it until the CD came out.

Edited by clifford_thornton

I wonder if it was a much smaller press run? Anyway, a nice album, Ben Webster-ish in a way, and particularly nice on ballads.

Listening to:

1562128-leroy-jenkins-mixed-quintet.jpg

Jenkins was a beautiful cat; his music has wonderful depths. Black Saint LP.

Probably heresy to some people but, to my ears, the CD sounds better than the LP. Not to mention that the CD has an extra track.

Probably heresy to some people but, to my ears, the CD sounds better than the LP. Not to mention that the CD has an extra track.

I can live with a CD sounding better than an LP. The Nessa releases always sound good. In this case, the CD must be pretty darn good, since the LP has really fine sound. Wonder how Chuck would rate them?

24-25.jpg

Qbico U-Nite - New York 1 (Qbico). Kind of an avant-garde Jazz at the Philharmonic show, from Tonic, March 14, 2004, with Daniel Carter, Perry Robinson, Arthur Doyle, Charles Waters and Andrew Barker, among others. I bought this multi-colored vinyl double LP from Barker about five years ago.

Edited by jeffcrom

31xuLeptdZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Willie Smith - The Best of Willie Smith (GNP Crescendo). In spite of the title, this is not a collection, but Willie Smith's only full-length album of the LP era. It was made at two dates in August, 1965, with the Watts riots in between. Irving Ashby and Johnny Guarnieri were on the first date; Bill Perkins and Jimmy Rowles on the second. Nice stuff.

Afterwards: I think maybe I'm hearing a little of what Allen Lowe heard in late Johnny Guarnieri.

Edited by jeffcrom

I can live with a CD sounding better than an LP. The Nessa releases always sound good. In this case, the CD must be pretty darn good, since the LP has really fine sound. Wonder how Chuck would rate them?

I have this on LP and CD. The LP always sounded very good but the CD is better to my ears, which must be down to Chuck's remix. You get a nice extra track with the CD too.

Edited by Clunky

In regards to the Eddie Johnson being found more easily in the Midwest, this is probably true. I've noticed that record shops in Chicago always majorly underprice records from Chicago labels, maybe for this reason. I got mine from Dusty Groove for 3 bucks. I've also seen Thrill Jockey, etc. vinyl in the $2-5 range at Reckless.

blakey_art~_childsdan_101b.jpg

Art Blakey - Child's Dance (Prestige)

infinity-khan-jamal-cd-cover-art.jpg

Khan Jamal - Infinity (Jam'brio)

087810.jpg

Ralph Sutton with Bob Wilber - The Night They Raided Sunnie's (Blue Angel Jazz Club) Some excellent middle-period Sutton, recorded in 1969 at Mrs. Sutton's bar in Aspen.

Edited by jeffcrom