Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

Duke Pearson Mosaic Select, CD2. Nice !

Really like Duke P's interpretations of the Xmas classics on 'Merry Ole Soul'. Not like me to play Xmas music in September :D , I think it's going to get lots of airplay during the Xmas Season this year.

the Xmas selections are a lot tougher than I expected, certainly not trite interpretations by any standard, I haven't listened to them thoroughly , saving that for xmas itself.

Currently listening to Dizzy Gillespie Disc 6, universal edition, unusually for Mosaic the CD tray insert has track/personnel listings that are all wrong and belong to Discs 3&4 rather than 5&6.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Louis Armstrong Decca Sessions (1935-1936) Disc 5 , it amazes me that this material was thought not worthy of Pops ,it's all top , top drawer, not sure about Elder Eatmore's sermons (wonder how/why these came about) - a real oddity in a five star collection in very acceptable sound.

The Bob Brookmeyer Select. This one was definitely worth the hustle and hastle of ordering from 4 merchants only to be burned by 3 of them. Thanks again to Bull Moose!

The Brookmeyer Select is really good, from what I've heard so far. 'Street Swingers' really cooks and both Jim Hall and Jimmy Raney fit in very well !

Looking forward to hearing 'Kansas City Revisited' with the late Alberta legend, Big Miller.

CD2 of the Duke P Select. Apart from 'Merry Ole Soul' I already had all of this on LP or Rare Groove CDs but it's really nice to have it all collated and convenient for the I-pod. A very enjoyable set.

by contrast I had none of it, indeed I'd avoided this material in the past but having now actually heard it I'm very impressed, a very fine set and nicely different from Pearson's earlier BN output.

Again, the box arrived damaged! :crazy: Not sure Mosaic will have a spare one to replace it.

The local posties must have a grievance ! :blink:

My latest sets have arrived OK - thankfully. Lou Donaldson from deepest Italy must have had a risk factor 10 but it arrived pristine. The box for the HRS set was punctured though (and I noticed that the Mosaic packaging was not as bomb-resistant as usual).

This morning - another spin for CD1 of the Quincy Jones set. Me likes :rsmile:

Edited by sidewinder

Again, the box arrived damaged! :crazy: Not sure Mosaic will have a spare one to replace it.

The local posties must have a grievance ! :blink:

My latest sets have arrived OK - thankfully. Lou Donaldson from deepest Italy must have had a risk factor 10 but it arrived pristine. The box for the HRS set was punctured though (and I noticed that the Mosaic packaging was not as bomb-resistant as usual).

This morning - another spin for CD1 of the Quincy Jones set. Me likes :rsmile:

Some of the local posties must have a fetish with Mosaic boxes...

Listening to the 4th CD now. I hadn't listened to Lou for too long and I had forgotten how much I love his music and his sound. I'm glad I pulled the trigger for this one. Lou wasn't the most innovative sax player in the history of jazz but he was undoubtedly an excellent musician.

What was your Donaldson box doing in Italy, Bob?

Edited by ASNL77

What was your Donaldson box doing in Italy, Bob?

That's where it came from, Yves. Mosaic had sold out and I resorted to "Plan B". Glad I did !

And I'm flying out there tomorrow and it's 25-26C and clear skies.. :excited:

Lucky you! Enjoy the nice weather and the excellent food. I've been grounded at home with a sprained ankle with ligament damage. I've been on the couch for three days, enjoying the Donaldson set... That's football for you! :angry:

George Shearing Capital Live Recordings. Took me a long time to get around to hearing this -- Shearing just isn't too important to me. However, I've been pleasantly surprised a few times just on the first disc, such as the performance of Weston's "Little Niles" and the group interplay on Denzil Best's "Nothing But De Best."

My only question is why Mosaic spread 4 1/2 hours of music across 5 discs. They could have put it onto four discs and still had quite a bit of room to spare. I've noticed this with a fairly good number of Mosaic's larger sets. I know that back in '94, when this came out, they might have been using discs that held 74 minutes maximum rather than 80, but even taking that into account it could have fit on 4 discs.

I don't mean this as a criticism of Mosaic, whose efforts I greatly appreciate -- just something I've been curious about.

Edited by Joe Bip

It may have something to do with Capitol or Shearings heirs defining how long a disc can be. I remember reading of the Cole set (which had a similar set up) that the heirs (I believe it was the heirs) had a definition at the time that an "album" couldn't be much longer than an hour, or some similar "proviso."