What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

What is it with London audiences, though? I don't see this anywhere else - yet again lots of people leaving after two or three numbers. Too indulged? Too rich? Too many other things to do the moment your attention wanders?

Spoilt SOBs who know the price of everything and the value of nothing ! ( :rlol gets flamed..)

Sounds like a great afternoon. I wanted to see the Michael Garrick and Joe Harriott tributes on Saturday but sadly, couldn't make it in to London.

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was a few weeks ago, but I was blown away by the J. D. Allen Trio when they played in Seattle. Allen sounds good as a sideman but he is awesome when playing his own music. He sounds a little like Trane in the Atlantic period, with some Rollins. His most recent album, "Victory!," is also excellent.

Small correction - his most recent recording is actually The Matador And The Bull, which is also very good.

Just back from Neon Quartet.- veteran Brit Stan Sulzmann with three of the best from the younger generation - Kit Downes, Jim Hart and Tim Giles.

Marvellous evening - good compositions plus a standard and two Monks. Really exciting music.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

On Saturday I went to see Henry Threadgill at Roulette in Brooklyn, which seems to be his go-to venue in NYC with the demise of the Jazz Gallery. I have no idea if they played new music, but it was beautifully played and had passages of ferocious intensity. He had a larger band this time around, two trumpets, two trombones, acoustic guitar, cello, tuba, drums and even an acoustic bass! Threadgill played his usual flutes and alto. At times everyone dropped out but the guitar,cello and bass and we had a forward-looking string trio. Pretty well attended from what I could see, and I saw Bruce from Downtown Music Gallery sitting in front of me. A great night of music for $25.

a father christmas style thingie in chocolate (santa claus, celebrated on december 6 here) -- a little apology ... and since she was in Switzerland, what else ;)

She posted your photo on twitter and said nice things about you. In addition to being a fantastic musician, she's rather entertaining on twitter. I like her, without actually having met her.

a father christmas style thingie in chocolate (santa claus, celebrated on december 6 here) -- a little apology ... and since she was in Switzerland, what else ;)

She posted your photo on twitter and said nice things about you. In addition to being a fantastic musician, she's rather entertaining on twitter. I like her, without actually having met her.

twitter or tumblr? I saw the later and was of course flattered by her comments ... I tend to forget to open her tumblr regularly, but I love it as well! (I don't do twitter at all.)

twitter or tumblr? I saw the later and was of course flattered by her comments ... I tend to forget to open her tumblr regularly, but I love it as well! (I don't do twitter at all.)

Twitter on my iPhone, but probably the same content. Edited by kh1958

My favorite Atlanta saxophonist, my friend and colleague Ben Davis, also plays guitar with the math rock trio Purkinje Shift. They have a CD release party tonight, and I'm about to leave to catch them. (The club is about 10 minutes from my house, and they'll start in about an hour.) Their music, not what I usually listen to at all, is fascinating.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jazz and the Philharmonic

Co-produced with YoungArts and the Frost School of Music

Featuring Bobby McFerrin, Chick Corea, Dave Grusin, Terence Blanchard, Mark O’Connor, Shelly Berg, Eric Owens, Elizabeth Roe, Desmond Richardson , plus the University of Miami Frost School of Music Henry Mancini Institute Orchestra, and YoungArts All-Star Alumni

A superstar roster of Award-winning jazz and classical musicians and ensembles, as well as emerging artists and rising stars will come together for an unprecedented one-night-only concert at the Arsht Center. Co-presented by the Adrienne Arsht Center, the University of Miami Frost School of Music, and YoungArts, the concert will be co-produced and directed by Larry Rosen, with Shelly Berg, Dean of the University of Miami's Frost School of Music, as Music Director.

This special music event will mark the first time that these three major Miami-based arts and educational institutions will join forces to present an integrated program. The concert is also one of the special events during YoungArts Week 2013 when the nation's top young artists in the visual, literary, and performing arts will perform and exhibit their works in Miami.

The program will showcase world-class jazz and classical superstars, as well as the University of Miami's Henry Mancini Institute Orchestra, featuring Grammy-winning trumpeter, film composer, 1981 YoungArts alumnus, and Artistic Director of the Henry Mancini Institute Terence Blanchard, along with YoungArts all-star alumni. The evening will feature today's pre-eminent musicians performing classical music's most memorable themes performed in a mix of orchestral stylings and jazz improvisations, and culminate in an explosive grand finale!

:excited:This is going to be fun!!!

Last night, the Lucky Peterson Band at the Granada Theater. The house was full. Two bands preceded Lucky; I missed the first (an unbearable teenage blues rocker), the second, local blues guitarist Jim Suhler, was tolerable but didn't do much for me. Lucky's band was larger than usual tonight; Mel Brown protege Shawn Kellerman was on guitar (good but bearing no resemblance to his mentor), flying in from Toronto, plus the usual drummer Raul Valdes, plus bass guitar, tenor sax and trumpet. Unfortunately, the sound at the Granada is not that great; overloud and muddy even in the balcony. Still it was an exciting performance, highlighted with Lucky playing some pretty intense blues guitar while sitting astride the Granada's second floor balcony.

Edited by kh1958