What have you been diggin' recently?

Templejazz

Wes' Riverside material with Mel. There's a certain very pleasing logic to everything Wes plays. Not that any of this material is overly predictable. On the contrary, I listen to these sides and say to myself "of course, why did I think of that?" No matter how much I come back to this material, I never tire of it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been digging into Cannoball a lot lately. Milt Jackson too, and some of Bobby Hutcherson's four mallets playing (Action!, Firebirds, etc). Non jazz stuff... Bob Dylan Rolling Thunder Revue has been playing a lot lately and I just JUST discovered T Rex Electric Warrior that hit the spot for some reason today. Oh, and Matthew Sweet!

Been on a huge Jackie McLean kick of late. Love just about everything he ever recorded but the mid-60s period has been getting the main attention. The Mosaic set has been getting an 'airing' (just love those sessions with Tolliver, Hutcherson and Larry Willis). Tomorrow I'll dig out a vinyl of 'Jackie's Bag' for the AOW posting thoughts.

Been playing a lot of Horace too. Especially 'Cape Verdean Blues' and that early album cut with Blakey and Mobley for Epic (sounds great on an early Dutch Philips pressing :wub: ).

I've been listening to some Incredible String Band sides, due to Ghost's posting about their upcoming appearance in Bloomington, In., and Clem's comments about them. I've found myself enjoying their music, loopiness and all, more than I ever have. Any band that can use a sitar and a steel guitar in the same tune and pull it off has my ears. I also hadn't listened to my cassettes of Robin Williamson's Celtic tales (they were only issued on cassettes) in over ten years, and when I listened to one of those the other night, it was still great listening.

I'll have to pick up some of their early recordings. The stuff I have is from later on, and I only know their early things from memories on the radio in the 1960's.

Been listening to a bunch of 'One for All' cds.....really like those folks. Also been checking out more organ stuff. I always hated the organ....but one of the moderators kindly shipped me out an organ comp disc last year that I wanted to play while my Dad was in town visiting (he likes organ). Well, bottom line is that I've been going back to that burn....a little here..a little there...and slowly started checking out some other things. Just the other night in fact I downloaded a half-dozen Charles Earland tracks..and a few McDuffs as well. That NEVER would have happened a couple of years back. Still can't stand Quebec's 'Might as Well Be Spring' disc though. ^_^

It's been a whole bunch of Andrew Hill lately! :wub:

Just received Dance With Death, and also recently purchased Judgment! from a fellow board member. The Black Fire RVG hasn't left heavy rotation since it came out.

I'm still regretting not jumping on that Hill Mosaic that was up for sale recently.

The Miles Davis "jungle band" -- it's finally starting to dawn on me why people consider Agharta and Pangaea works of genius. I've always kind of liked them but never really scratched the surface. I'd left "Theme from Jack Johnson" (which is either "Ife" or "For Dave") in the car, and when I came back after a few hours it sounded completely otherworldly. Dark Magus is pretty cool too (I like Liebman better than Fortune), but the rhythm section hadn't completely coalesced yet. And rhythm is what these albums are about. I know I bash Thom Jurek a lot, but his AMG review of Pangaea has a perfect quote: "Davis seems to be pushing an agenda of 'What the hell is melody and harmony?' " I also like the amazon review which says, "This is what Godzilla really sounded like trashing Tokyo." :rsmile:

Also, a Gateway live recording from '95 sent me back to the original Gateway album and John Abercrombie's Timeless. Two excellent albums. I have to go with Gateway simply due to Holland's presence as a player and composer, as well as the greater dose of freedom, but Timeless is stupendous. The title track has some of the best synthesizer playing I've heard in a jazz context. Beautiful.

Guy

Edited by Guy Berger

Been listening to a lot of non-jazz lately. Rap: Jay-Z, Jurassic 5, The Roots, Notorius BIG

Some trance in the way of DJ Tiesto...Magic 4,5; In Search of Sunrise; Forbidden Paradise 3

On the jazz angle, I'm reacquainting myself with Larry Young and have pulled out the Ornette box on more than one occasion recently.

:ph34r:

After a month of obsessing on Irish folk music I've found my way back to jazz in the last couple of weeks.

I've been enjoying a number of recent UK CDs in particular by the likes of Stan Sulzmann, Nikki Iles, Liam Noble and Arnie Somogyi. I'd go as far as saying that I'm as excited by UK jazz at the present as I was back in the late-70s. Musicians seem to be finding ways to get their music out on disc on smaller labels, giving a much broader picture than a few years back.

I'm working my way again through the Elvin Jones Mosaic that I bought last year. Fantastic music. I'm especially drawn to Joe Farrell on the tunes where he plays.

And in a completely different world a harrowing two part documentary on English composer Malcolm Arnold has had me digging away at his music. Absolutely beautiful stuff and not nearly as well known as it should be.

Just acquired two brand new releases by The Great Jazz Trio with Hank Jones, Richard Davis and Elvin Jones. Listening to the marvelous Hank Jones inspired me to grab a whole bunch of my other CDs by The Great Jazz Trio. The rhythm sections vary, but Hank is always there. Hank Jones playing swings, is highly creative, and exudes good taste.

Peter F

Been buying and listening like crazy to dozens of New Orleans ("Revival") albums by George Lewis, Kid Ory, Kid Thomas, Bunk Johnson et al these past 3-4 months. Even though certain songs are repeated to death and the playing is sometimes not top notch, there is a certain element about this music that makes me return to it often. Perhaps it's the predominantly ensemble playing or the rough/raw feel of the music.

Still waiting anxiously for 15-20 titles which are way behind their target delivery time. :unsure::angry:

Just acquired two brand new releases by The Great Jazz Trio with Hank Jones, Richard Davis and Elvin Jones. Listening to the marvelous Hank Jones inspired me to grab a whole bunch of my other CDs by The Great Jazz Trio. The rhythm sections vary, but Hank is always there. Hank Jones playing swings, is highly creative, and exudes good taste.

Peter F

I'm really enjoying Davis's arco playing (amongst all the other pleasures of that group).

--eric

• 6 months later...