What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fargo season two finale. Well done.

Seemed more like a coda than a finale but I thought it tied up all the ends and was chock full of references.

I especially liked the Vick Mackey one.

Also the penultimate episode of Homeland which was brilliant, white knuckle stuff.

This season has been just about the best . Especially love the superb villian.

Crap. I was hoping Homeland would be awful this season as I don't have that network any longer. :) I'll have to wait for the discs to come out later next year. I was a little disappointed in last season.

I'm now watching the second half of the final season of Mad Men on blu-ray.

48 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Crap. I was hoping Homeland would be awful this season as I don't have that network any longer. :) I'll have to wait for the discs to come out later next year. I was a little disappointed in last season.

I'm now watching the second half of the final season of Mad Men on blu-ray.

Far from awful, one of the very best shows of the year. Mojo fully restored.

"And Then There Were None" - three part BBC adaptation of an Agatha Christie novel.

Afraid I'm finding it very corny (last part tonight) with all the characters at a perpetual pitch of hysteria (understandable, I suppose, if everyone is being mysteriously murdered around you). But there's some brilliant photography - glowering skies over seascapes. Typically well done BBC production - suspect my reservations lie more in the tale than the telling.  

Interesting to see that the BBC swept the board with the ratings figures for most watched TV over Xmas. No wonder Murdoch has instructed Eton Boy to kill it. 

Also been watching:

91VRRwK1eAL._SY445_.jpg

I must be the only person in Britain who has never watched a Peter Kay programme but I think this is brilliant. Who'd have thought a sit-com (and they sit a lot) about driving to Manchester and back every day could be so compelling. Really funny dialogue and a constant 'will they, won't they' tension.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Watched the pilot episodes of Manhattan (will continue watching) and Quantico (will NOT continue watching).  

Also enjoyed rewatching some classic Avengers episodes from the first year they went to color.  Emma Peel and John Steed always makes me smile.  I've also noticed that many of the technical crew that worked on that series were also regulars at Hammer Films during that era.  

Edited by Shawn

76.jpg

I'm no film buff - I only have the vaguest notion of producers/directors and often get left puzzled by classic films of the past (I had to give up on La Dolce Vita half way through). 

Watched 'Citizen Kane' last year which I enjoyed but couldn't really see why it was regularly nominated as 'best film ever'. 

However, I loved this last night. OK, some of the dialogue and action (the car whizzing through Vienna at breakneck speed) seemed a bit corny 60+ years on. But overall it was an intriguing film, with enough ambiguities left in it to keep you thinking...loved the ending with the girl walking off quite indifferent to the 'hero'.

Above all it was beautiful to look it - incredibly sharp b+w photography, odd camera angles and use of shadow; and the Escher-like chase in the sewers. Managed to conjour up post-WWII Vienna with a minimum of locations.  

On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 8:27 AM, A Lark Ascending said:

"And Then There Were None" - three part BBC adaptation of an Agatha Christie novel.

Afraid I'm finding it very corny (last part tonight) with all the characters at a perpetual pitch of hysteria (understandable, I suppose, if everyone is being mysteriously murdered around you). But there's some brilliant photography - glowering skies over seascapes. Typically well done BBC production - suspect my reservations lie more in the tale than the telling.  

Interesting to see that the BBC swept the board with the ratings figures for most watched TV over Xmas. No wonder Murdoch has instructed Eton Boy to kill it. 

Also been watching:

91VRRwK1eAL._SY445_.jpg

I must be the only person in Britain who has never watched a Peter Kay programme but I think this is brilliant. Who'd have thought a sit-com (and they sit a lot) about driving to Manchester and back every day could be so compelling. Really funny dialogue and a constant 'will they, won't they' tension.

Peter Kay is very talented I think. His one man shows, that often crop up on telly, tend to be very funny too. I haven't seen Car Share but I like the premise and can definitely imagine how Kay's everyday humour and his everyman approach would fit the concept well

On 12/28/2015 at 8:27 AM, A Lark Ascending said:

Also been watching:

91VRRwK1eAL._SY445_.jpg

The Peter Kay Car Share series is great, one of the best sitcoms for ages. The 'misunderstanding' about dogging was brilliant and there are some great sight gags with funny shop names etc. The radio station, Forever FM, was specially created for the show and is enjoyably naff.

7934_poster_iphone.jpg

Grim, taught thriller set in Belfast as 'The Troubles' hit their first nasty peak. Viewed largely from the perspective of a rookie squaddy thrown into the mayhem, a victim of the internecine politics of the province and the mysterious undercover connections between the army and the various sectarian groups. Apart from an early scene where the RUC take apart a Catholic home the film didn't give much of an idea why the anti-British hostility was so high. 

sandbrook2_3492156c.jpg

Dominic Sandbrook - Let Us Entertain You (BBC)

Sandbrook has written 4 excellent books on Britain from 1965 to the late 70s (well, 3 of them are excellent, I've still to read the fourth)...even though he shows his Tory inclinations! Manages to balance the political and economic complexities with cultural changes. 

A highly dubious thesis to this series - Britain lost its place as the workshop of the world and instead became the pre-eminent entertainer of the world!!! Erm, what about the USA (let alone the cultural preferences outside the Anglocentric world?)?

Nevertheless, an entertaining series so far (I'm two episodes in) - Sandbrook is always good on the continuities of history where most popular TV series stress the changes. Good second programme on the British entertainment industry's obsession with the aristocracy, public schools and the monarchy - I think he's dead right in his argument that all the 'rebellious' culture over the years has been co-opted by the establishment and used to further shore up its defences rather than being undermined by it.