Spyro Gyra

Jazz Kat

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I like Russell Malone too.

Russell Malone is considered "smooth?" Wow, news to me! :huh: Ah well, that's cool. I dig him, too!

Re: Bob James. I like his arranging skills and piano playing, if his work on Hubert Laws In the Beginning is any indication. If he's smooth now, hey that's cool; I don't know any of his recent stuff, though.

Russell Malone is considered "smooth?"

He's a borderline case. Some of his work has "smooth inclinations"

Yup. Of course, the only disc I ever kept of his was Sweet Georgia Peach[i/], which is sweet indeed. Since then, well..... :w

I've never heard of any connection of Malone to what I think of as smooth jazz. He's always been relatively "conservative" as a jazz artist (which I have no problem with whatsoever), and been with major labels... and worked with Diana Krall, BUT he's an absolute monster musician in terms of jazz technique and ability (and has been for a long time). Maybe he's done a thing or two with some of the smoothies (no law against that either... in fact a discussion here about Ernie Watts' connections to smooth jazz comes to mind), but I'm unaware of it. I don't follow Malone's career closely at all, as his style/sound never really grabbed me, but I have seen proof of his chops. For me, he's way ahead of guys like Mark Whitfield, Rodney Jones, Bobby Broom... all of whom were/are in a similar kind of bag. Malone is a stud.

When was the term 'smooth jazz' coined? Maybe Spyro Gyra was called something other than smooth jazz back in its time. Adult contemporary?

answers_logo_tm.gif

smooth jazz

Wikipedia

Smooth jazz is a sometimes controversial term, denoting a form of music.

Some jazz lovers do not consider "Smooth Jazz" a form of jazz, seeing it as a misleading marketing term that represents an attempt to hijack the prestige of the term "jazz" in order to sell what is really a form of muzak.

Others contend that "Smooth Jazz" can indeed be a viable subgenre, arguing that it is narrowminded to try to turn jazz into a kind of museum exhibit, and point out the continuing cross-pollination that has occurred between jazz and R&B over the course of a century. Furthermore, they point out that the music of such widely respected musicians as Pat Metheny, David Sanborn, Marcus Miller and others are often classified as "smooth jazz," and that many musicians are capable of perfoming well in multiple styles.

Smooth jazz developed in part from jazz fusion, and tends to deemphasize improvisation. Creed Taylor's CTI Records was especially important in the form's development in the mid-1970s. Earlier, Wes Montgomery made a number of instrumental recordings of familiar pop songs which were aimed as much at pop audiences as at jazz fans; these records are often cited as important early smooth jazz.

A popular recent development is urban jazz, which incorporates the aspects of hip-hop. This style is aimed at audiences who would normally listen to urban contemporary radio stations that play a mix of hip-hop and R&B. Among the musicians who frequently perform urban jazz are Dave Koz, Boney James, Paul Jackson Jr., and former NBA player-turned-bassist Wayman Tisdale.

The construction of Smooth jazz as a radio format has its roots in the Beautiful music format, generally played in 15-minute sets (instrumentals bookending one or two vocal songs per set). In essence, today's Smooth jazz stations are no different than the Beautiful music stations of the 1960s through the 1980s.

List of smooth jazz performers:

Saxophonists

Boney James

Candy Dulfer

Dave Koz

David Sanborn

Eric Marienthal

Euge Groove

Everette Harp

Gerald Albright

Grover Washington Jr.

Jeff Kashiwa

Kenny G

Kim Waters

Kirk Whalum

Marion Meadows

Mike Phillips

Mindi Abair

Najee

Nelson Rangell

Pamela Williams

Paul Taylor

Richard Elliot

Steve Cole

Walter Beasley

Warren Hill

Guitarists

Blake Aaron

Brian Hughes

Chieli Minucci

Chris Camozzi

Doc Powell

Earl Klugh

George Benson

Jeff Golub

Joyce Cooling

Ken Navarro

Larry Carlton

Lee Ritenour

Norman Brown

Paul Jackson Jr.

Pat Metheny

Patrick Yandall

Peter White

Russ Freeman

Steve Oliver

Bassists

Brian Bromberg

Gerald Veasley

Marcus Miller

Wayman Tisdale

Trumpeters / Flugelhornists

Chris Botti

Chuck Mangione

Greg Adams

Rick Braun

Keyboardists

Bob James

Brian Culbertson

David Benoit

Gregg Karukas

Jeff Lorber

Joe McBride

Joe Sample

Keiko Matsui

Paul Hardcastle

Ramsey Lewis

Groups

Acoustic Alchemy

Avenue Blue

BWB

Down to the Bone

Fourplay

Fattburger

Pieces of a Dream

Sade

Special EFX

Spyro Gyra

Streetwize

The Braxton Brothers

The Jazzmasters

The Rippingtons

Urban Knights

Some dickhead, sat around writing that list, and you believe it. I don't care, if you think Chuck Mangione is smooth jazz, you're deaf!! Or mental! You people anger me to such extants. Man, I think I'm gonna host a party with Aric and Che tonight! Yeah!!! Hope you luck in this little twisted fucked up forum.

Yup. Of course, the only disc I ever kept of his was Sweet Georgia Peach, which is sweet indeed. Since then, well..... :w

I've never heard of any connection of Malone to what I think of as smooth jazz. He's always been relatively "conservative" as a jazz artist (which I have no problem with whatsoever), and been with major labels... and worked with Diana Krall, BUT he's an absolute monster musician in terms of jazz technique and ability (and has been for a long time). Maybe he's done a thing or two with some of the smoothies (no law against that either... in fact a discussion here about Ernie Watts' connections to smooth jazz comes to mind), but I'm unaware of it. I don't follow Malone's career closely at all, as his style/sound never really grabbed me, but I have seen proof of his chops. For me, he's way ahead of guys like Mark Whitfield, Rodney Jones, Bobby Broom... all of whom were/are in a similar kind of bag. Malone is a stud.

Yes; granted, I'm no Malone expert, but I'll gladly take him over any of the other guitarists you mentioned. In other words, agree completely. I like Malone, or rather respect what he's doing, even if it doesn't really grab me. Very notable exception: his playing on the Herbie Hancock tribute with Payton & McBride. HECK YEAH!!!! :excited: I sorta wish he would do an all acoustic album (meaning he plays the acoustic guitar).

Yup. Of course, the only disc I ever kept of his was Sweet Georgia Peach, which is sweet indeed. Since then, well..... :w

Yes; granted, I'm no Malone expert, but I'll gladly take him over any of the other guitarists you mentioned. In other words, agree completely. I like Malone, or rather respect what he's doing, even if it doesn't really grab me. Very notable exception: his playing on the Herbie Hancock tribute with Payton & McBride. HECK YEAH!!!! :excited: I sorta wish he would do an all acoustic album (meaning he plays the acoustic guitar).

Actually it's Whitfield on that Hancock tribute. Great album BTW.

Edited by Alon Marcus

Ok, Malone's off the list!!

I thought his Heartstrings album was more "smooth" than it is. I just listened to some samples on CDUniverse and it is very mellow but certainly NOT smooth jazz.

My most humble apologies to Russell and any board members whom I may have caused some degree of alarm by this false accusation.

Hey I don't want to be around the big boys, I definitely dislike their style and smell a lot of the time.

I didn't say he PIONEERED it Mike, quit putting words in my mouth. For all I know George Shearing's grandpa pioneered smooth jazz. But I do strongly feel he influenced a large part of the smooth jazz of the nineties. If you listen to smooth jazz (you can't help it sometimes) there are changes within what gets released and marketed through the decades.

Edited by jazzbo

That's like calling Led Zeppelin heavy metal. (close, but no!)

sorry to break the news to someone born twenty years after the fact, but zeppelin is considered one the original heavy metal bands.

Tying it all back together, the heavy metal band Dream Theater had Beckenstein or what's-his-name contribute a soprano solo to one of their albums. :blink:

Guy

I was a young college student when Spyro Gyra was playing the Buffalo bars and hitting te big time with Shaker Song and Morning Dance. So I was around 20 and was a big fusionhead at the time. I thought SG were fabulous. The more jazz listening I did though, the more I reallized that while they're good at what they do, they are certainly not mainstream jazz. Instrumental pop? Smooth? who cares I guess. It's all part of learning what you like, don't like, tolerate. It's no longer my kind of thing, but for those to whom it is - go for it.

A lot of career jazz musicians cross over and back at times into the so called 'smooth jazz' camp. It's economics.. And in fact, lots of the names on the list in an earlier post are actually very accomplished straight ahead players.

If I'm offered good money to record or gig with a smooth jazz band or artist I'll do it if I like the music.. If the money's really good I'll do it even if I don't like the music :lol: Of course my first allegiance is to Organissimo :)

Edited by randissimo