Severe back pain...

Ok, so two Saturdays ago I decided to load the Hammond by myself, which was a stupid decision, but one that I've made several times. Usually its not a problem, but my back had already been slightly achey that weekend. Long story short, I pulled something in my lower back that hurt pretty bad, but nothing I haven't felt before.

Usually I can rest it for a few days and its fine, but this past week I had gig after gig after gig, sometimes two per day. I had help moving the Hammond each one of these gigs, but even the act of playing pedals hurt. So my back hasn't had much of a chance to heal.

Sunday (yesterday) it hurt pretty bad and I took it easy on it, lathering it with IcyHot and wearing a back brace the whole day. Today I felt pretty good, but still a little sore. Until I tried to bend down and tie my shoe.

I instantly dropped to the floor with the most excruciating pain I've ever felt in my life. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get back up. Zora is just looking at me like, "What the hell happened?!" I manage to get up and go lay on the couch for a few minutes, balling like a baby the pain is so bad.

Right now I'm still lying here, after tending to Zora. Putting her in her crib for her afternoon nap was quite the chore. My back feels pretty good as I'm lying here with a pillow under my knees but when I get up I can hardly walk.

What should I do? I've never had a back injury this bad. I can tell it's just muscles (at least I hope so) but man... the pain is outrageous.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take your own advice, go see a doctor.

Go to your room!!!!

;)

Honestly, I was going to make a chriopractic appointment today, but I don't think that's going to help me. I'm trying to get a hold of my sister, who is a physical therapist. I'm sure there are some stretches and exercises I can do once it heals to strengthen it.

As a man who's done more damage to his back than should be allowed in a lifetime before the age of 30, I suggest the following...

1) When the wife gets home, get to the doctor. No excuses. It's your back, it houses your spine, and you mess your back up, you're done. End of story. Get them to prescribe some muscle relaxants and some heavy duty pain killers. I actually request xanax at this point.

2) Icy Hot, hot baths, and if you have seat warmers in your car (I've got em in a $19K GTI, they're not that ridiculous of an option anymore), use 'em. Anything to keep your back warm, and at that point, at least a little looser.

3) Don't lift anything that you don't have to. If you have to stand, stand with a foot elevated. Keep your knees bent when laying down on the couch and when you're in bed. Put a pillow between your knees to help facilitate this.

If you do #1 once or twice, and it's just a muscle spasm, you'll be fine. If it's something more serious, they'll at least be able to figure out what it is, and they can do whatever needs to be done to make things better.

Hope all goes well, man...

Oh boy, I feel your pain!! I've had back surgery.

I have a bit of experience in this area, I'm sad to say. For now, rest it by laying on floor. Once the pain lessons start with some hot/cold treatments.

The following have kept me in pretty good shape and I recommend you start ASAP.

Physical therapy to strengthen back and support muscles.

Chiropractor- I'd get to one ASAP. They can help relieve pressure on the nerve that's causing the pain.

Acupuncture- same as above

Massage

I have an acupuncturist that also does massage therapy. :)

Same thing happened to me when I was stupid enough to carry a fridge by myself.

Turned out I'd gotten a nerve caught.

The pain was as described above.

Add to that a numbness I had in my right leg.

Any of that on your side (anywhere)?

Hope it'll get better soon!

No numbness but it is going right down into the family jewels and making them feel like they're in a vice. Very uncomfortable, to say the least.

Same thing happened to me when I was stupid enough to carry a fridge by myself.

Turned out I'd gotten a nerve caught.

The pain was as described above.

Add to that a numbness I had in my right leg.

Any of that on your side (anywhere)?

Hope it'll get better soon!

No numbness but it is going right down into the family jewels and making them feel like they're in a vice. Very uncomfortable, to say the least.

Sounds like a nerve to me, albeit a different one than mine. ;)

These things, as my doctor told me, feel very much like a slipped disk though (is that what it is called in English??), so it could also be that, sorry to say.

Oh, am I sorry to read this. Jim, I really hope you haven't injured your back too badly. My Dad lives much of his life in terrible discomfort due to a back injury. I am scared for you. I am so paranoid about hurting my own back. :(

Could be a herniated disk. I've had surgery myself for that. (twice actually)

In the short run, use ice and Advil (you can take 4 at a time - but not more than 12 in a day).

See a doctor - you may need an MRI to check the disk.

Believe it or not, if you need surgery for herniation, it's not as bad as you would think. They can do "micro-surgery" which is an out-patient procedure. You're up and walking the same day.

Let's hope you don't need it, though.

Analgesia- Paracetamol ( +/- codeine, plus anti-inflammatory ( ibuprofen etc.)

Keep moving

Local heat ( heat rubs, hot bath)

If muscle spasm really severe consider diazepam (see Dr)

Time and more time....

Patience....

unlikely anything too serious

I've had back injuries before - one time, I got a spasm as I bent backwards in the shower to wet my hair, and the pain was so bad I couldn't see for about five minutes. What Paul says about muscle relaxants and pain pills is definitely a good idea; I hate to admit it but I never did really follow up with the exercises I was supposed to do to strengthen things. But on the other hand, the back hasn't given me a problem since right after the honeymoon, nearly 4 years ago.

Get thee to a Doctor and get thee some drugs, STAT!

Doctor, definitely.

Some guy cleaned my clock at soccer one night and tore my trapezius (sp?) muscle, which hurt very bad.

Stupid me didn't go to the doctor so I got three days of incresing pain and pulled all my vertebrae out of whack scrunching up.

But the DO straightened out my back, gave me some wonderful pain pills and muscle relaxants. Along with a few days rest I was mostly recovered by the time the drugs ran out.

Hopefully, you can be another miracle of modern pharmaceutica if only you'll go see a qualified gatekeeper.

--eric

This is actually my line of expertise. I have worked on low back pain research studies for over five years now. I'm not a doctor so I can't give you a diagnosis or treatment advice, but what I can do is tell you what the research says:

Chiropractic does not work very well for low back pain (especially chronic low back pain). Enough research has been done up to this point that we can fairly say chiropractic is little more than a placebo treatment.

Acupuncture, although there has been far less research on it, seems to be a much more effective treatment, especially for acute back pain, unless you have a herniated disc, at which other options like surgery become more realistic.

But by far, the best treatment for acute and chronic low back pain (as far as the research has shown) is therapeutic massage. Not only for short-term pain relief, but for cutting down on the chances of recurrence.

Those who stay physically fit have a far less chance of recurrence. And those who practice Yoga and certain forms of meditation reduce the recurrence rate even further.

Also, opposed to popular belief, bed rest IS NOT good for low back pain. Certainly do not lift anything heavier than 5 or 10 lbs. but move about is actually good for your back. No running or jogging or active sports, but a nice walk to the store on a summers day is excellent for low back pain.

So I’d say, get ye to a doctor and get diagnosed. Once you know what it is, you’ll better be able to take proactive steps to relieve you current pain and keep it from returning.

See a Doctor ASAP

If you have herniated one or multiple disc's before you agree to surgury

look into the new alternatives. I could give you more details

but I will wait. I hope you only strained your back, in which case

therapy and or accupunture are good suggestions (from experience)

Best wishes

:(

If it's a back spasm / pinched nerve, what worked for me was, at the outset, ibuprophen 800 mg. 3 times a day or 600 mg. 4 times a day (buffered well with hunks of cheese). You may be able to taper the dose down after a few days.

Whatever it is, I viscerally feel for you.

Ouch !!! :(

Good luck at the doctor.

Once you're on the mend, remember to bend your knees and keep your back straight if you have to get down to the floor, or get closer to your shoe to tie it. (Once you're on the mind, might work better to make your foot meet you halfway, by bringing it up to the seat of a chair or something.)

I feel your pain, too...