Severe back pain...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Well, the surgery seems to be a success. Not a fun ordeal, but better than I thought. I'm lying here in bed at home after walking around the house for a bit. My back is very sore, but its a different pain than before. And there's no pain running down my leg anymore (which is such a relief I cannot even explain).

This is the first time I've ever been anesthetized fully. That was a trip. I'm still a little nauseous from it, but not bad enough that I couldn't down some chicken soup and Jell-O! :D

I'm very happy I chose surgery, but I'm also happy I exhausted the other options first. I'm looking forward to feeling like a 29 year old again, instead of 70+. I'm also looking forward to losing some of the weight I've put on since the end of summer. Especially the last two months, I've basically spent any downtime either lying down or sitting because I couldn't do much at all. I can't wait to get outdoors and have fun in the snow with Zora!

I've got about 6 weeks of recovery ahead of me. It will be hard not to pick-up Zora, but I couldn't even if I wanted to right now.

Anyway, thanks for all the support. I went back and re-read this thread last night and it gave me confidence that I was doing the right thing, especially since some of you have experienced this very thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim, I was about to PM you, since I thought you hadn't responded about the surgery. Glad to hear you were doing so well after the surgery! :tup Smart move trying to get the weight off. I had surgery in 1999, and was more or less pain free(except if I was on my feet for 2 or more hours at a time) Then I blew another disc just before last Christmas. It took 2 months for that pain(and true loss of leg strength) to go away.

Why am I rehashing all this??? Well, I managed to mess my back up last week, get this, just getting out of the chair in front of my computer. :rolleyes: I think it is more muscle spasm related, than disc related, but like you I have put on some weight. I saw my Doc just before I hurt my back and after the weigh-in, I asked what I weighed back in 05, before my Mom died. Yikes! I have packed on 27 pounds, not a good idea for someone with a history of back trouble! I have been trying to work out more, but one can always do more, and just want you to make sure you stick to strengthening your abs, and realizing that many of us must just have a weaker "wall" surrounding the gooey center of our discs than others do.

Things have been going well. The weird pain in my hip and leg is pretty much gone. Today is the first day I have not taken any pain medication and so far so good. I just tried sitting in my van for the first time to see if I could go get my hair cut (I need a hair cut badly) and it wasn't so bad. Sitting in the barber's chair might be a different matter altogether.

Root Doctor has a gig tonight. My worry is that it is an hour drive away. I don't think I'll be able to sit in the car that long. Sitting is the worst so far.