BFT 27 - DISC ONE DISCUSSION

JSngry

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's talk some track four: Re the Bone player: It is probably NOT Clifton Anderson. Newk's sound is more mid 70s than 80s, and I believe Mr. Anderson didn't play with Sonny at that time. So who is the bone player? Don't know. I hear a Latin tinge in his playing, which probably means that he played a lot of Latin bands in his early days, but that doesn't narrow down the possibilities, does it..

Well, maybe it does, if you take standard record company procedure into consideration...

Let's talk some track four: Now for the second horn: I heard a soprano sax, Big Al heard an Alto sax. So MAYBE that's a saxello?? and that's Bennie Maupin? A wild guess, I know.

Thought this track 4 had been pinned a long time ago. Spontooneous identified it. It humbled me to have failed getting to this particular track.

The second saxophonist who plays tenor usually pulled out a saxella on this tune. Had to check on the liner notes to the original album to find out! And gave the whole album a spin. Very enjoyable one, thanks Jim for making me return to that one!

Hey hey hey!

I think track three is from Cachao's Legendary Descarga Jam Sessions, from the late 50's.....

la banda sin saxó:

photo_C_121.jpg

My bad, but Cachao did play with a New York City group in the early 60's. Clark Terry and two sax guys - Emilio Peñalver and Virgilio Lisama . "From Havana to New York" it's called.

Pretty sure those are seperate sessions collected on one CD. Cachao came to the US in the wake of the Castro takeover. Terry is not on the cuts with Peñalver & Lisama (who played bari, not that that is necessarily is relevant to this BFT cut, although it might be... :g )

Well then, the album listing may well be correct, and are you in for a surprise!

I put headphones on to check this out (I gotta stop listening on the PC speakers at work!) and ...YEAH ...I know who it is. And as much as I love and admire his playing I'm not crazy about his approach to walking.

edit to add: at least as demonstrated here and on some other things I've heard.

Edited by Harold_Z

sorry for being late, stuff is cwazy hereabouts, but here goes!

een: how high the moon obviously, organ has some Smithisms might be McDuffisms, but what do I know. This smokes like thunder and reminds me of that live at Newport jam session type business. Loose stuff, some mistakes, but very darn much enjoyable. good for starters, now where's dinner?

twee: heheheheh. Louis obviously, but WTF is Captain Beefheart doing there? This has me rolling in my chair so please excuse! ROTFLMAO!

drie: damn fine stuff even if it has me stumped! Somewhat reminded me of Rollins going into the latin territory with a similarly relaxed, what do I care mentality about it.

vier: speaking of the devil... what do I care.... ;) This one I have, but otherwise 70s Rollins is a bit of a closed book to me. That guitar feghing around on the left is a grand ingredient, it hurtles and sparks and kicks and beckons. Good.

vijf: gone with the poot with some obvious mess ups. What's going on here? big fun for sure, like a pastiche of some heavy handed Euro combo trying too hard. Might as well be the Marx brothers.

zes: JATP? Although I enjoy this kind of stuff to death, I am real bad at getting down the individuals.

zeven: aaaaaah, aaaahaaaahaaaah, yess, I am feeling all holleeeeewoooooood. Pretty cheezy really. If not for the tenor (Ammons?) this would be schlockiest of schlock. Always good to know that schlock may be worthwhile if the right ingredient is there. The 70s were a real shitty time. This gets real shitty towards the end, really.

acht: Shepp fer sure, wonder who's on the other channel. And the vocal? Drats! All of them ate too much anyhow and I will sit back and sip their beers and hope I will survive

negen: Basie with Jaws fer sure and a bunch more liquor and las vegas and yeeeee haaaaah!

tien: it doesn't end. sheee-itte. more of that las vegas romance

elf: plunk plunk ding dong! who is it? hi-fly! hi-fly who? hamp I'd say. good shtufffe!

twaalf: This is scary. Too many things that don't fit together really. I could learn to love this.

dertien: more...

veertien: this one was easy to find using amg and google (sue me!), drats! Part of me had expected him there, the other one not. I guess the first part is right.

vijftien: sounds like Stan the Man and his Girl laying it down like a carpet to sa-wwingg on. Naaaaaaiiiiiccceee.

zestien: beer!

zeventien: this sucks (but only huskily so). a bit too Las Vegas one more again.

sorry for being late, stuff is cwazy hereabouts, but here goes!

twee: heheheheh. Louis obviously, but WTF is Captain Beefheart doing there? This has me rolling in my chair so please excuse! ROTFLMAO!

vijf: Might as well be the Marx brothers.

My sentiments almost exactly!

(glad to see you made it, btw. I was worried! Hope you can get to Disc Two.)

I had a closer look at the cover of my LP -  :blink: - and I'm not sure these socks really button up. Could be some ribbon sewed in ....

Well, ya' know, I've gone back and forth with myself with this over the years, and I've reached the not-absolutely-certain conclusion that yes, those are buttons. What sealed the deal was showing the picture to some old folks and asking them if they'd ever seen socks that button up like these appear to. When they said yeah, that they had, I decided that that's what these were - socks that button up on the side. I'm still not 100% convinced, though...

So this can be they mystery of Disc One. The mystery of Disc Two will be spotting the cut with what sounds like two farts captured for posterity. You gotta listen pretty loudly to hear them, and they're spaced out over the performance, but that's sure what they sound like to me!

Better late than never ...

1) How High the Moon ... nice. In the universe of organists there is Jimmy Smith and all the others, so I'll go with the odds and say its one of the others.

2) Part of the reason for my guess on number one is the assumption that it is number 2 that is one of the "no-brainers" Jim mentioned. Fun track, and all I could think was, thank GOD that the G-Man didn't choose this tune for his Satchmo duet. I can just imagine a big old batch of cheeze whizzery noodling around that vocal.

3) No guess here.

4) Familiar tune ... oh so familiar. Sounds like 70s era Rollins to me, like this is one of the tracks that Jim likes to play when he wants to prove that there really are gems in his latter-era catalog?

5) Don't get this one at all.

6) Nothing wrong with this but no names jump out at me.

7) Dig the sax, don't care for the arrangement/strings. Moments here make me think of Stanley T.

8) Sounds like they're going for a Pres/Lady Day thing but why reinvent the wheel or try to improve on something that can't be improved on?

9) Everything's Comin Up Roses but no guesses are coming up.

10) Nother highly familiar tune but ...

11) Vibes or xylophone on Hi Fly? Don't know ... love the tune but have heard better renditions.

12) Another one that's nice enough but not ringing any bells.

13) HUH????? OK, maybe this is coming out of left field, but the weird thing to me (or the extra weird thing to me) is that there are little snippets in the music that sounds like something really off kilter in Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.

14) Is the honking tenor what we're supposed to concentrate on? Is it Plas or Clifford Scott?

15) Gots to be Stanley T. and so I'll guess its the one time Mrs. T (and Miss Cott) on organ.

16) Is that Sweets on trumpet? Or someone who owes him for stealing his shit?

17) Nothing here for me, I'm afraid.

thanks Jim, much less, uh, painful than the last one! :g

13)  HUH?????  OK, maybe this is coming out of left field, but the weird thing to me (or the extra weird thing to me) is that there are little snippets in the music that sounds like something really off kilter in Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.

Somebody else noticed it! Amazing! :o:g

Don't have the disc....but from the posts above I would guess that track one is Jack McDuff w/Kenny Burrell "How High The Moon" from McDuff's Prestige "Crash" LP.  It's a great arrangement with Harold Vick on tenor.

O.K. Jim, you're a REAAAALLL hardass. My blind guess was basically a bullseye. It's Brother Jack McDuff's version of "How High The Moon" on his "Silk and Soul" Album (sorry, I blindly guessed the "Crash" CD version) with a young George Benson on guitar.

Thanks for the CD Jim. Just got home tonight from San Francisco and popped it in just now. Only listened to the first song but look forward to hearing the rest. Thanks again.

(P.S.---all people who guessed Jimmy Smith should be spanked, hopefully by their wife or closest loved one or enemy of choice. Jack McDuff is so unmistakable here, especially given the arrangement. Jimmy Smith never cared an iota about arrangements.) :D

Don't have the disc....but from the posts above I would guess that track one is Jack McDuff w/Kenny Burrell "How High The Moon" from McDuff's Prestige "Crash" LP.  It's a great arrangement with Harold Vick on tenor.

O.K. Jim, you're a REAAAALLL hardass. My blind guess was basically a bullseye. It's Brother Jack McDuff's version of "How High The Moon" on his "Silk and Soul" Album (sorry, I blindly guessed the "Crash" CD version) with a young George Benson on guitar.

Ooooh...sorry, but that's not the McDuff album I took it from, and that's not the group listed on the album.

Not saying you're wrong, because I don't have that album, just that I've got different personnel from a different album. It's an album whose contents have been scattered over several CDs, and appears to have been one of those Prestige compilation albums compiled of left-overs and/or incomplete sessions, all of which in this case prove to be very worthy.

Does that help?

Edited by JSngry