tranemonk

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ooops... typo... I meant the JSP....

What's the JSO one I should stay away from? :o

I decided to take y'all's advice (particular Ron's) and go with the JSO set

NO!!!! Not the JSO set!!! That one SUCKS!!!! eek.gif (We said the JSP set.)

:P

Look down at your feet. Hear that rustling sound? That's the sound of your leg being pulled. :blush:

ooops... typo... I meant the JSP....

What's the JSO one I should stay away from? :o

I decided to take y'all's advice (particular Ron's) and go with the JSO set

NO!!!! Not the JSO set!!! That one SUCKS!!!! eek.gif (We said the JSP set.)

:P

Look down at your feet. Hear that rustling sound? That's the sound of your leg being pulled. :blush:

The :P at the bottom of my post was supposed to give you notice of that.

:g

To see the LOC recordings as mainly of interest for Jelly's delicious and sometimes suspect reminiscing is a mistake.

The piano playing and music side of those sessions if wonderful, with all his classic compositions featured, often in longer versions than found on earlier recordings, be they either solo band versions.

For mine, I'll be keeping the earlier, music-only Rounder CDs for sure.

As for Wynton's appearance in this thread--I cannot think of anyone who has molested Morton's music more.

Wynton's brief cameo appearance here was intended merely as a humorous reference to our thread-starter's affinity for him. I certainly didn't mean to stoke up the old Wynton controversy. :unsure::blink::ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, time to talk about this set.

I got it last night and have listened to two discs.

First off, right away I was a bit disappointed in the sound. I SUSPECT it was just a little too heavily scrubbed with Cedar. But maybe not. . . the piano sounds magnificent. This was DSD mastered and that shows. But there is a "grating" quality within the sound of Jelly's voice that could have been avoided I THINK if there were just a little less digital cleansing going on. I could be wrong. I listen nearfield in a pretty revealing setup and that may be aggravating it; I haven't listened on any other systems yet.

But now that I have that out of the way I have to say: if you THINK you would like this set, you'll LOVE it for the music, the history and the personality.

Edited by jazzbo

What a package!

My initial impressions of the sound, and a very quick spot check with the previous Rounder cds, I still get the nagging sense that there's some high end shaved off, but I've never heard anything from the various issues prior to the 10 year old Rounder series. However, without filtering out MORE than the previous cds, they do avoid the nasty "blasting" effect that suddenly spikes certain sibilants in those older cds. In any case, the completeness and annotations make it a must for the Morton enthusiast.

One question. Has anyone been able to access the promised PDF file on disc 8?? Can't find it by "exporing" on my XP setup. Hope I figure it out, because that sounds like a great feature.

Edited by tatifan

Gave a listen today to disc one. Sounds good to me, an improvement over the last Rounder "music only" set. Still, it would have been nice to see what Mosaic or the late John RT Davies could have done. Did John RT do the Swaggie lps that have been mentioned previously on this thread ?

In any event there is no reason for anyone to NOT get this set becase of the sound.

The content is wonderful. I was completely absorbed in it. Jelly is a raconteur supreme. There was not one uninteresting moment. I'm looking forward to a lot of enjoyment from this set.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't got my set yet, but I do have an 18-track sampler.

After hearing about half of it with headphones, for my tastes the sound is WAY, WAY better than the Rounders.

Maybe I'm prepared to happily accept a higher degree of compromise than Lon and others, but I can now envision playing much of this with unadulterated pleasure - and not through gritted tetth.

For me, it sounds like the fog has lifted!

• 1 month later...