The Fifty Greatest Jazz Piano Players of All-Time

Jazz journalist Gene Rizzo surveyed the top jazz minds in the worlds of education, publishing and entertainment to rank the 50 greatest jazz piano players of all time. Those surveyed ranked players spanning an 80-year period on skill, originality, creativity and influence. Rizzo collected these results, along with historical photographs of the featured pianists, in the appropriately named volume “The 50 Greatest Jazz Piano Players of All Time.”

NPR Broadcast

Just a few of the rankings

1. Oscar Peterson

2. Bill Evans

3. Bud Powell

4. Art Tatum

7. Andre Previn

10. Red Garland

15. Thelonious Monk

No Andrew Hill :mellow::huh::o

Edited by mgraham333

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jazz journalist Gene Rizzo surveyed the top jazz minds in the worlds of education, publishing and entertainment to rank the 50 greatest jazz piano players of all time.

I'd imagine the list of "the top jazz minds" would be more entertaining & revealing than the supposed list of the 50 greatest pianists.

:lol:

I afraid that surveys like this are beyond useless unless you only survey actual jazz pianists. I would trust them more than also including critics, publishers and miscellaneous entertainment people.

Jaki Byard didn't even make the cut, Previn #7 (I enjoy him, but it's hard to see him making the top 50 at all).

I remember flicking through this at a store the other day. Am I right in thinking that Cecil Taylor doesn't make the top hundred?

I could be imagining it, but it wouldn't surprise me given the list as it stands...

I'm not sure I understand the mentality of such lists in any case.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right. Originally, it made me want to punch a wall. Then I remembered that I don't give a damn about these lists.

Edited by ep1str0phy

top jazz minds from the worlds of "education, publishing and entertainment"...

No wonder the list is a bit askew.

Although Andrew Hill not being in the list isn't necessarily a huge slight. It depends on how many living, active musicians made the list. For instance, if only 5 or 10 of the chosen fifty are still alive, then I could see Hill not rising to the ranks of the "top 50".

(I mean, sure, I'd put Hill in there in a heartbeat -- but then how many "jazz educators" do you know who would?? Or publishing people?? Certainly not "entertainmet" people.)

Anybody got the full list, and can post it here???

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Which raises a good question...

What LIVING jazz pianists would you include in a list of the top-50 jazz pianists of all time??

Andrew (at least in my book), Herbie, and probably McCoy.

Cecil, for sure (even though I'm not big on him, he's gotta get his due). Who else?? Chick??

You gotta think that there's probably only room for 10 living players -- at most -- on a list of the top-50 of all time.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

isn't "top jazz minds" an oxymoron?

just kidding really, as I'm trying to be less negative today (as I caught some flack yesterday for pooping on a thread) - look at the good side - at least he mentions Al Haig, I seem to recall (unless I am mistaken) -

Edited by AllenLowe

Which raises a good question...

What LIVING jazz pianists would you include in a list of the top-50 jazz pianists of all time??

Andrew (at least in my book), Herbie, and probably McCoy.

Cecil, for sure (even though I'm not big on him, he's gotta get his due). Who else?? Chick??

You gotta think that there's probably only room for 10 living players -- at most -- on a list of the top-50 of all time.

Give it up. That's the point you're missing here.

OK, that's it. I call bullshit.

I'm listening to the NPR interview about this thing just now, and although I didn't catch his ranking -- BENNY GREEN made the list.

BENNY GREEN!!!!

He's a fine player and all, but who the hell thinks Benny Green is one of THE top-50 jazz pianists of all time???? :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Excuse me, just how "off" is your "jazz experts" sample (supposedly "hundreds of people" according to the interview) -- if they collectively pick Benny Green as #6 on their all-time top-50 list, and put Monk all the way down at #15. And could a "jazz experters" sample be any "off"-er?? :huh:

Seriously now, how many people -- when polled -- had to have picked Benny Green as their personal #1, #2, or #3 -- in order for him to have ranked #6(!) in the overall standings. Either that, or EVERYONE in the entire sample picked Green somewhere around #6 (plus or minus a couple ranking positions). It defies any and all reasonable explaination.

That sample must skew REALLY older and REALLY conservative.

Edited by Rooster_Ties