DeJohnette/Scofield/Goldings Trio Beyond

7/4

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The information at CDU states that the cd is a Studio date, not a live recording -- is that true? Everyone has been assuming that it's a live date.

The original post in this thread by 7/4 quotes from ECM's website, indicating it is a live recording.

just reading an Amazon review of the only Sco I don't own, last year's "That's What I Say" Ray tribute. that album had more than a few detractors piling on from all directions.

anyway what caught my eye was the following take on Sco's style ...

"There is a pervasive weakness that mars the whole works, however, and that weakness is basically Scofield. His meandering "fishing expedition" solos often make one wonder whether he knows where he wants to go. The most egregious and obvious example of this is on the brief "Crying Time." Larry Goldings lays down a wonderful bed of nearly legit organ, and Scofield noodles over the top as though he's looking for something but having a hard time finding it. Scofield rarely 'speaks' in discernable phrases -- I know, that's his style. But it's not my cup of tea, and it doesn't make for a good 'fit' on Ray's stuff. "

for a split second, I totally dismissed this as coming from someone who hasn't really listened to John. but thinking about it ... actually this Amazonian has a legit point.

i guess it's the first time i realized that Sco frequently does "scout the sonic landscape", happening upon fractals, exploring their permutations only until they morph into another. on these types of Sco improvs, there are no repeated and elaborated motifs ... no lyrical crescendos ... no ever-more-quickly approaching horizon of emotional catharsis in the great post-hard-bop tradition.

next i realized that perhaps such fractals are one reason i like Sco so much. because so much of life is actually like that. how often do you properly size your bets pre-flop ? how often do you get a good enough read on any new relationship, work or personal or romantic or whatever, to feel that you can take the nice pot odds apparently offered to you ? how often do you feel confident that your all-in is the correct and only option ? how often are you just exploring the possibilities in the context of your own memories ... never making a move.

finally, i quickly remembered that the fractal Scolarsystem does not encompass John's playing, unless you have only limited exposure.

the 3 nights i saw the Tony Williams tribute session, the energy and synnergy were masterfully built up to volcanic yet cohesive climaxes. whatever propels this group do what it does so well, they've got a road map ... not a gps, and not a bunch of cafe napkins and pen either ... but a hand-drawn road map -- pencilled, erased, and re-pencilled in masterful detail from long experience.

• 4 weeks later...

Missed baltostar's post the first time, but this caught my eye:

Larry Goldings lays down a wonderful bed of nearly legit organ...

Nearly legit organ? What does that mean?

"Excuse me sir, do you have a permit for that organ?"

"Why yes, it's right here."

"Do you realize this permit is expired?"

"Yeah, but it expired yesterday. This organ is nearly legit."

I pre-ordered this but might cancel. Until I heard the clips, I forgot how much I truely hate Sco's playing and sound. Jack D. and Larry G. are such a dream team...wish almost anyone else was the third in the trio besided Sco.

Allen Holdsworth maybe? :excited:

I pre-ordered this but might cancel. Until I heard the clips, I forgot how much I truely hate Sco's playing and sound. Jack D. and Larry G. are such a dream team...wish almost anyone else was the third in the trio besided Sco.

Allen Holdsworth maybe? :excited:

I thought: wow! Then I realised that Holdsworth was in lifetime. He was also touring Europe this Spring with Alan Pasqua.

I bought it tonight, I couldn't help myself. (yes, I have an addiction) Finished disc 1, man, DeJohnette on "Spectrum" whew.. ditto Larry and John. "If" is terrific also. One thing I noticed is "Allah Be Praised" is mistimed, its a lot longer than 43 seconds.

Got to agree. I'd also toss in John Abercrombie. Got a strong dislike for that long drawn-out sustain they use that almost sounds like an organ. Mark Saleski says "Sco's torqued and phase-washed sound is far removed from the purity of a Jim Hall or a Wes Montgomery." So when I bought a live disc w/ Joe Lovano & Jim Hall a year or two ago I was very disappointed to find that Hall had adopted this same tone. Bummer. For the polar opposite put on the Mosaic Tal Farlow. DUDE!!!!

Edited by Peter

Got to agree. I'd also toss in John Abercrombie. Got a strong dislike for that long drawn-out sustain they use that almost sounds like an organ.

I'm a huge fan of the 70s Abercrombie sound, but not of the 90s Abercrombie sound.

Guy