DeJohnette/Scofield/Goldings Trio Beyond

7/4

Does anybody have the Soul Note album he did with Paul Smoker? I wish I could find that damn disc. Trumpet, b-3, drum kit. Hard as hell.

Are you sure that was Goldings? I know Smoker appeared on a live Soul Note recording under drummer Phil Haynes' leadership (I think the title is Live Insurgency) with Jeff Palmer on organ. I don't know if Smoker and Goldings ever appeared on a recording together.

Edited by relyles

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! I saw this band at Yoshi's in February of 2004, and they were spectacular. And that's coming from someone who hasn't been too thrilled by Scofield's leader dates for a long time. He sounded amazing in this setting, as did DeJohnette (go figure). Not only do I think Larry Goldings is a genius on the organ, but he definitely has long struck me as the guy best carrying on and extending the approach to the organ that Larry Young more or less invented, so this project is particularly appropriate for him. Can't wait for the record, and I'm glad the group's been documented.

nathan

These were mind blowing shows. I've never seen Sco play better. And the audience knew it too. Not that Goldings and DeJohnette and Holland weren't on fire, they were, especially Goldings support for Sco ..... but Sco was playing outside of the realm of the possible. I hit the floor a couple times. It was that good. Sco does all this other stuff and so people forget that he might be the most innovative and exciting improviser in jazz today.

I hope this live date is anywhere near the quality of those nights at Yoshis.

Edited by johnagrandy

Hi

I was at the gig (in the front row) and it was indeed great. Jack DeJohnette was particularly impressive. The BBC broadcasted the gig in parts. I've had about 70 mins of the complete show for quite a while now. The complete show ran to over 2 hours.

Here's the setlist of what I've got.

As One/Allah be Praised/Allah be as One

Spectrum

Seven Steps to Heaven

Emergency

There are longer versions circulating in trading circles.

From what I remember the also played Zoltan from Larry Young's Unity, Big Nick, something from In a Silent Way and a couple of others.

Scofield announced that the gig was being broadcasted and joked that it would be available for download at various sites withing a couple of weeks, so I'm surprised they are releasing this show. I read somewhere that they were going to do a studio CD.

I like Larry Goldings a lot as well and agree with Joe's comment about his playing being more cerebral. I don't always understand the comparisons with Larry Young. Maybe it comes from Goldings' light touch or refusal to do the standard chicken shack stuff. But Young's sound goes beyond that. If you want to hear someone who has Young's thing down, listen to Bill Heid.

As for recommendations, I like his first Warner Bros. release "Whatever It Takes" as well as the Larry Goldings Trio release on the now defunct Minor Music label (immaculately recorded by David Baker) called Light Blue. The last one on Palmetto (Sweet Science) was nice, too.

This new release sounds very promising. I think Sco has reached an amazingly level of fluidity lately. When we opened for him, his phrasing just blew me away.

Does anybody have the Soul Note album he did with Paul Smoker? I wish I could find that damn disc. Trumpet, b-3, drum kit. Hard as hell.

Are you sure that was Goldings? I know Smoker appeared on a live Soul Note recording under drummer Phil Haynes' leadership (I think the title is Live Insurgency) with Jeff Palmer on organ. I don't know if Smoker and Goldings ever appeared on a recording together.

That's it. So, not only was it not a Paul Smoker album, Larry Golidngs wasn't the b-3 player. Wow. Should have looked around a little bit. I'm going to have to buy another copy of that somehow.

I have several of Heid's recordings and he is very good. Didn't he study with Young for a minute?

He studied with Young while he was in Detroit (late 70s) as well as Don Patterson. I've been singing Uncle Bill's praises on this board for years. Y'all need to get hip! :) All of his Savant releases are worth picking up. Plus they feature local legend Randy Gillespie on drums. Randy is THE MAN.

Maybe the Goldings/Young comparison is overdone, and largely based on the relatively facile fact that neither really go for the standard soul jazz approach. To my ears though, it's a bit deeper. I think the comparison comes in the touch, the attention to chord voicings & the organ stops (both are masters of exploring the broad palette available from the B-3, something a lot of organists don't seem to pay all that much attention to), and the long lines. You could call Goldings' approach "cerebral", but I think you could say the same thing about much of Young's playing (though, of course, his playing is more visceral on dates with McLaughlin or on records like Lawrence of Newark, which I love too).

My favorite Goldings leader date is definitely Sweet Science, with Stewart and Bernstein. One under-heard sideman date I'm particularly fond of is a record by guitarist Adam Levy called Buttermilk Channel. It's pretty mellow, but there is some great playing by everyone involved, and good original tunes. (And it certainly doesn't hurt that my favorite drummer, Kenny Wollesen, is the 3rd member of the trio).

I'll check out Heid -- thanks.

nathan

P.S. - Oh yeah, I remember their version of Big Nick at Yoshi's being particualarly unexpected and well done!

Opened a new quartet album from Larry Goldings last night but haven't heard it, and it is not up on the Palmetto web site just yet.....here's something from jazzmatazz:

Larry Goldings - Quartet (Palmetto Records) Jan 24

— Larry Goldings (accordion, piano, Wurlitzer piano, harmonium, Hammond b-3 organ, glockenspiel); John Sneider (trumpet, cornet); Ben Allison (bass); Matt Wilson (drums)

— originals, plus covers of tunes by Bjork, Faure, Monk and Handy; Madeleine Peyroux guests on one track

Edited by Lazaro Vega

Opened a new quartet album from Larry Goldings last night but haven't heard it, and it is not up on the Palmetto web site just yet.....here's something from jazzmatazz:

Larry Goldings - Quartet (Palmetto Records) Jan 24

— Larry Goldings (accordion, piano, Wurlitzer piano, harmonium, Hammond b-3 organ, glockenspiel); John Sneider (trumpet, cornet); Ben Allison (bass); Matt Wilson (drums)

— originals, plus covers of tunes by Bjork, Faure, Monk and Handy; Madeleine Peyroux guests on one track

Which Bjork tune?? - if I might ask.

• 3 months later...

Received a review copy just yesterday. Here's the track list:

Cd One:

- If

- As One

- Allah Be Praised

- Saudades

- Pee Wee

- Spectrum

Cd Two:

- Seven Steps to Heaven

- I Fall in Love Too Easily

- Love in Blues

- Big Nick

- Emergency

I'll be deeply listening to it this weekend. For the moment, all I could listen to was the first track, which has a killer Scofield solo.

Luca

Edited by Eloe Omoe

Received a review copy just yesterday. Here's the track list:

Cd One:

- If

- As One

- Allah Be Praised

- Saudades

- Pee Wee

- Spectrum

Cd Two:

- Seven Steps to Heaven

- I Fall in Love Too Easily

- Love in Blues

- Big Nick

- Emergency

I'll be deeply listening to it this weekend. For the moment, all I could listen to was the first track, which has a killer Scofield solo.

Luca

Can't wait. :D

Doesn't seem available for pre-order yet. At least I couldn't hook up with CD Universe.

Pre-order on CDU available for $18.89 as of this afternoon.

UPDATE: I just pre-ordered one through the link at the top of the page. Should send a few pennies Organissimo's way, as well.

Edited by BFrank