What ever happened to Jymie Merritt?

Hardbopjazz

Guest akanalog

i don't see him appearing much on albums post early 70s which surprises me because he must have a tight game to be the bassman for both art blakey and max roach. i have always liked his playing on both acoustic and electric basses.

Jymie Merritt

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jymie Merritt was born in 1926 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He received early training as a classical bassist (double bass), but he credits the following experiences, which took place in the 1940s, as proving more significant musically: (1) his early gigs in Philadelphia, PA with pianist Hassan Ibn Ali (duo) and (2) jam sessions, often conducted at his own house, with his mother as hostess, that included such local notables at the time as Jimmy Heath, Philly Joe Jones, John Coltrane, Reds Garland, Jimmy Smith, John Dennis and Benny Golson. Other early experiences included gigs with the Jimmy Campbell Quintet and the Ernie Hopkins Quartet. Jymie's first touring experience in the 1950s was with the Bull Moose Jackson Orchestra under the musical direction of Tadd Dameron. He toured also with Chris Powell and the Blue Flames (1952-55), one of the first rock groups; with blues great B.B. King; and later with Red Prysock. Jymie's early jazz instrument was the acoustic double bass. His performing instrument as a rock bassist and blues bassist was the electric fender bass.

Jymie is perhaps best known for his years touring and recording as an acoustic bassist with Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers (1958-62). He appears on numerous titles with this group, including such classics as Moanin' and A Night in Tunisia.

A number of sources have credited Jymie Merritt with inventing the Ampeg bass, but this information is incorrect. Jymie explains his association with the Ampeg bass as follows: While he was touring with Bull Moose Jackson in the 50s, he met Everett Hull, bassist and developer of the Ampeg system for acoustic bass, and the two developed a friendship. Some years later, Hull sent Jymie a prototype of his latest product, the Ampeg five-string upright bass, which Jymie performed on from 1960 to 1985. Recordings that Jymie made with the Max Roach Quintet (1965-68)and Lee Morgan Quintet (1970-72), including Morgan's Live at the Lighthouse, employ the Ampeg bass. He also used the Ampeg with the Dizzy Gillespie Big Band and Quintet and with a number of other groups, including groups led by Lee Shaw, Al Haig, and Archie Shepp.

In periods between touring, Merritt started the Forerunner movement in Philadelphia and served as its artistic guide. The Forerunners--later called Forerunner--brought together performing artists linked by ideas of community and creative exploration.

From 1998 through 2005, Merritt performed weekly on the acoustic bass in a jazz duo at The Prime Rib restaurant in Philadelphia, PA.

To quote reviewer Devin Leonard, "Merritt is also an interesting modern composer with a penchant for odd meters and rhythmic patterns." Merritt's newest compositions explore these patterns in a computer-driven context in which he performs on a six-string upright bass.

• 2 weeks later...

Odean Pope gave us Jymie Merritt's number, and we spoke to him, and he sounds fine. He plays Saturday nights at a place called the Prime Rib, 1701 Locust St., Philadelphia 19103, (215) 772-1701, and kindly looking out for us and our budget, he warned us that the place is quite expensive, though the food is excellent. You can read a review at www.theprimerib.com/reviews2.shtml. I also saw mention that Jymie Merritt plays or has played at a place called Barrington Coffee House in New Jersey, www.barringtoncoffeehouse.com, though he didn't mention that one on the phone, so maybe he's not doing that any more. And you can see a photo of him on his son Mike's site, www.mikemerritt.com. Jymie Merritt said he might drive up to the Henry Grimes / Marc Ribot concert in Brooklyn on March 16th!

Edited by musicmargaret

Odean Pope gave us Jymie Merritt's number, and we spoke to him, and he sounds fine. He plays Saturday nights at a place called the Prime Rib, 1701 Locust St., Philadelphia 19103, (215) 772-1701, and kindly looking out for us and our budget, he warned us that the place is quite expensive, though the food is excellent. You can read a review at www.theprimerib.com/reviews2.shtml. I also saw mention that Jymie Merritt plays or has played at a place called Barrington Coffee House in New Jersey, www.barringtoncoffeehouse.com, though he didn't mention that one on the phone, so maybe he's not doing that any more. And you can see a photo of him on his son Mike's site, www.mikemerritt.com. Jymie Merritt said he might drive up to the Henry Grimes / Marc Ribot concert in Brooklyn on March 16th!

HOLY CRAP!!!! The Prime Rib is a 10 minute walk from my house. Thanks for the info - I had no idea he was still in Philly.

• 3 years later...

Surfacing this thread because a close bassist friend is coming to town and we'd hoped to catch Jymie Merritt at his gig at The Prime Rib. Sadly, I just called, and he no longer plays there. Does anyone have information about his current schedule? I have emails out to Odean Pope's and Mike Merritt's managers (both referenced above) and I'll post back if I hear anything. Other clues appreciated, however!

this was a phonemonal time in the history of hard bop, and the history of the jazz messengers::: these period 60-61 albums show a more modern, updated version of hard bop. they are very good albums, very different from jazz messengers of five years earler.

Saw him in 1961 with the Jazz Messengers at the Free Trade Hall, Manchester. Also in the band were Lee Morgan, Wayne Shorter and Bobby Timmons.

this was a phonemonal time in the history of hard bop, and the history of the jazz messengers::: these period 60-61 albums show a more modern, updated version of hard bop. they are very good albums, very different from jazz messengers of five years earler.

Saw him in 1961 with the Jazz Messengers at the Free Trade Hall, Manchester. Also in the band were Lee Morgan, Wayne Shorter and Bobby Timmons.

Wow! That was some band. I really like that period of Blakey's. I would have loved to have seen that show. I wasn't that far away actually. I was in first grade living in Frankfurt, Germany at the time.

Wow! That was some band. I really like that period of Blakey's. I would have loved to have seen that show. I wasn't that far away actually. I was in first grade living in Frankfurt, Germany at the time.

Yes, it was a great show. The Messengers opened the show; the second half was the Monk Quartet with Charlie Rouse, Frankie Dunlop and John Orr.

Edited by BillF

There is a recording of that band at Free Trade Hall, I can't remember if the source was a radio broadcast or an audience recording.

Never heard of a radio broadcast - must have been an audience recording. I was in the Free Trade Hall when the Ellington orchestra was recorded a few years later. I'm not well up on Duke's records, but those who are will know it as it's quite well known. (I've heard tracks played on radio shows.)

When I hear his name I always think of that great jazz tune ("Nommo") he plays with Max Roach in Drums Unlimited.

Great musician

:rolleyes:

Saw him too - in a Manchester club in the late 60s with Roach, Charles Tolliver, Stanley Cowell and Jymie Merritt - again! (Hope this isn't getting boring!)

Yes, it was a great show. The Messengers were on in the second half; the show opened with the Monk Quartet with Charlie Rouse, Frankie Dunlop and John Orr.

:blink:

And you saw this show? Have I mentioned that I hate you? (Okay, envy would be a better choice of words...) Damn.

Jymie Merritt gave me a lift home across Philadelphia in his people carrier, bass in the back. He is an over-cautious driver but a lovely bloke.

I have a feeling that Free Trade Hall concert was a BBC broadcast (and is archived somewhere), but this is just a feeling.

The 1966 Monk quartet performance at the same hall (seemingly an audience recording, came out on Tempo di Jazz in the 90s) - three odd weeks after Dylan was heckled there ('Judas!', 'I don't believe you', etc etc) - is an absolute stormer. Bill, were you at that one?

(It's on the site of the Peterloo massacre, of course).