Coltrane Complete Prestige Box

A friend of mine here at work ordered the Coltrane box July 31st. After inquiring about the status of his order last week, he received the following e-mail this morning:

Thank you for your order with Concord Music Group, Inc. Unfortunately, John Coltrane Prestige Recordings (16PRCD-4405-2) is out of stock. It will not be available since it is now a deleted title. Your credit card has not been charged. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me directly at 1-800-551-5299. Thanks again.

I hate to be the bearer of potentially bad tidings, but I thought folks would want to be aware of this development.

Up over and out.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron did you get yours in .. under the 7/31 window?

I ordered one on 7/24, but conn ordered his on 7/18 (even though he likes to pretend he'll do it in the future on 8/18), so it looks like I'm SOL. :( I did have a bunch of singles in that order (including some for Future Boy), and haven't heard a thing about them. :angry:

Now I'm going to confuse you....

those dates don't make sense...

Conn ordered his on 7/18 and out of stock

I ordered my first on 7/20 and got it... :excited::excited::excited:

You order yours on 7/24 and :unsure::unsure:

I ordered a second on on 7/27, just called them and they said it's history....

So Conn should have gotten one... (and maybe you!) WTF..... :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Ron did you get yours in .. under the 7/31 window?

I ordered one on 7/24, but conn ordered his on 7/18 (even though he likes to pretend he'll do it in the future on 8/18), so it looks like I'm SOL. :( I did have a bunch of singles in that order (including some for Future Boy), and haven't heard a thing about them. :angry:

Now I'm going to confuse you....

those dates don't make sense...

Conn ordered his on 7/18 and out of stock

I ordered my first on 7/20 and got it... :excited::excited::excited:

You order yours on 7/24 and :unsure::unsure:

I ordered a second on on 7/27, just called them and they said it's history....

So Conn should have gotten one... (and maybe you!) WTF..... :wacko::wacko::wacko:

The solution is obvious--you need to send your set to conn. :rolleyes:

Did you guys order other things along with the box set? The person on the phone said something about single-order box sets were out. I didn't order anything else along with the set. They may have felt compelled to send the box to those who had ordered other cds as well.

For me, it doesn't matter much. I'll spend my money at Mosaic. :w

I gotta say that this whole mess is a pretty shabby way for Concord to treat their customers and to conduct business. What a monumental disappointment. I'm restraining myself from saying a lot worse. :angry::angry::angry:

I'm tempted to take the money I should have been able to spend on the box sets and spring for the Mosaic Gillespie box. For those of you who have shopped with Zweitausandeins, is the Gillespie box likely to show up there? If so, what is the likely asking price judging from their Mosaic listings in the past? I know even with shipping running about $29.00, I saved quite a bit purchasing Dexter Gordon's box set there.

For those of you who have shopped with Zweitausandeins, is the Gillespie box likely to show up there? If so, what is the likely asking price judging from their Mosaic listings in the past? I know even with shipping running about $29.00, I saved quite a bit purchasing Dexter Gordon's box set there.

It should show up there eventually, along with the Nelson and Rich sets. In the recent past, they've had all of the older 10,000-copy Verve sets at one point or another. My guess is that it will go for 30 or 40 Euros.

we don't already? :huh::huh:

everyone should take their business to mosaic.....

Good point. I happily give much business to Mosaic and will continue to do so, despite this Concord sale. But the fact of the matter is, this Concord sale provides the possibility of getting some amazing music at amazing prices. This assumes of course, that Concord actually ships the orders.

Sorry about the guys who might have missed out on the Coltrane box. If what someone posted earlier is true, that those who ordered the box along with other titles were getting priority over those who ordered the box alone, that is BS. That's a totally arbitrary decision. If they had told you that up front, you probably would have thrown in a few titles.

Still no word on my 7/21 order. Approaching one month. Hope you guys get your first orders soon (or ever...).

This does not sound good. I didn't order the Trane box, but have been watching the flickering availability of K2's that I did order (Ugetsu and Monk Plays Ellington look gone, as does Dolphy Five Spot, but they may flick back on as I continue the long "processing" phase of my order). An Evans title also looks to be fading out. So I will end up with an incomplete order.

While the fumbling at Concord is frustrating, it really is no different than the big clearance sales at the other etailers. A third to a half of my J&R order went unfilled, even though later arriving (and smaller) orders included several of my missing titles. I thought a huge order would have been beneficial, but it wasn't. Same goes for the subsequent sale at the much loved (and now RIP) alldirect.com. This Here is Bobby Timmons still ain't here yet! While we can try to apply logic and/or infer the rules that are being used, there typically aren't (m)any for these things. Maybe this is a marketing/internet experiment being run by some Berkeley students.

While this mishandling isn't a problem at other esteemed venues like Mosaic and Nessa Records (much love), I don't think either of those sellers has had a clearance sale quite as monumental (number of titles, percentage discount, number of orders) as the OJC blowout sales. ...Of course there still is no excuse for this.

Can't wait for the next Concord blowout (way too much in the catalog to stop at just 200+ titles). When will we next repeat the mayhem, January 2007 with the post-holiday clearance sales?

...I'm just waiting for the man...