Ullrich and co. - can somebody explain this doping scandal to me?

Since Ullrich would have won this Tour (IMHO) I would quite like to know the ins and outs of this doping scandal I don't get it. I read that it involved withdrawing, freezing, then reintroducing blood. But is that 'doping'? And how do the effects differ from an oxygen tent? Is that the whole story? And why is it thought that Ullrich and co. are so definitely guilty?

Brownie? Anybody?

Edited by David Ayers

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some background on the case in this wiki article.

and some on blood doping in this wiki article.

Basically, blood was tapped from the athletes, treated with EPO to stimulate growth of red blood cells and then frozen to be reintroduced to the athlete's blood (which will have rebuilt its missing blood cells in the meantime) shortly before needed. As the EPO would no longer be detectable and needle pricks are commonplace with these guys being medically checked like nothing else, this form of doping can not be proven once applied. The effect is indeed the same as training in a oxygen tent or at high altitudes, but it's stronger and easier to obtain.

The files of the Spanish police contain recordings of phone talks and copies of SMS messages of the bad doc Fuentes and Ulrich's directeur sportif, Rudy Pevenage. It seems most of the evidence is circumstantial, but enough for T-Mobile to sack their flag bearer. The fact that Ullrich did not (yet) undergo a DNA test to prove that this is not his blood did not help his case either. There is a possibility that he was set up and that he indeed does not know what happened to his blood, but this seems highly unlikely.

The bad doc is already on record stating that the names that were spilt are just the tip of the iceberg. Also, many other branches of sport are involved, not just cycling.

The bad doc is already on record stating that the names that were spilt are just the tip of the iceberg. Also, many other branches of sport are involved, not just cycling.

Soccer players are also reportedly being involved in the blood tapping situation. Zinedine Zidane's name has been mentioned. But the soccer governing bodies keep away from investigating this.

Soccer players are also reportedly being involved in the blood tapping situation. Zinedine Zidane's name has been mentioned. But the soccer governing bodies keep away from investigating this.

still an investigation on illegal substances in football wouldn't be a luxury. I have a strong hunch some of the players are doped till their brains stop thinking. Some of the crazed looks on those faces speak volumes.

Some of the crazed looks on those faces speak volumes.

I'm reasonably clean but I would look even more crazed after playing for more than two hours in scorching heat :wacko:

bah humbug! that was the saddest excuse they thought up for this years abominable quality of the games. :tdown

"hey, it's hot!"

"oh, let's play BORING then."

as long as some guys still have the energy to kick an oponent in the eggs (twice) after the game, I think some investigations are in order.

It's an age old technique (a Belgian soigneur once told me and a few others that Mercx used to visit the Swiss Alps to change his blood with a young boy...now whatever this meant I'm sure there's an element of extraction/re-infusion there) but coupled with today's processes (adding EPO, like John said, to stimulate red cell prodution) and altitude training, the rider's blood consistancy an become treacle-like.

We've all heard stories of teams being woken at some small hour to ride around hotel car parks for fear of them dying in their sleep....now that's why.

Well, it's been going on for years, they're all doped - even the domestiques at the back of the pack. Sacking Ullrich won't clean up the problem; nor would sacking bodybuilders who test positive for steroids. I personally think a safer type of performance-enhancing drug should be legalized and professional cycling can get on with its existence.

Hint: he rides for Phonak...

:w

Did a little bird tell you? So far I can't find anyone saying that... YIKES!

Spanish radio station and online newspaper say that. Read this L'Equipe article:

http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/20060727_110810Dev.html

French media indeed hinting at Landis by now! He pulled out of a Dutch race yesterday and will be out of the Jyske Bank Grand Prix race in Denmark today!

Would be more bad cycling news if he is out of those races because of the doping story :(

Spanish radio station and online newspaper say that. Read this L'Equipe article:

French media indeed hinting at Landis by now! He pulled out of a Dutch race yesterday and will be out of the Jyske Bank Grand Prix race in Denmark today!

Would be more bad cycling news if he is out of those races because of the doping story :(

Very sad if that's true, even with a spanish new winner of the Tour.

Spanish media say Landis is the main suspect and the radio station Cadena Ser mention "testosterona" is the doping substance.

http://www.abc.es/20060727/deportes-deport...0607271333.html

http://www.cadenaser.com/articulo/deportes...srcsrdep_1/Tes/

Edited by cayetano

Very sad if that's true, even with a spanish new winner of the Tour.

Spanish media say Landis is the main suspect and the radio station Cadena Ser mention "testosterona" is the doping substance.

http://www.abc.es/20060727/deportes-deport...0607271333.html

http://www.cadenaser.com/articulo/deportes...srcsrdep_1/Tes/

Thanks guys. It says that testosterone can be legally prescribed - maybe there is a loophole for Landis? Looks pretty miserable for the whole sport.

Well, it's been going on for years, they're all doped - even the domestiques at the back of the pack. Sacking Ullrich won't clean up the problem; nor would sacking bodybuilders who test positive for steroids. I personally think a safer type of performance-enhancing drug should be legalized and professional cycling can get on with its existence.

Remember, those domestiques 'at the back of the pack' are race winners in their own right, many excel in other types of race and possibly all of them were big amateur stars before they made the leap to pro contracts with these top teams. One could dig a lot further down the UCI rankings and still find doping (whether it be 'doping' in the re-infusion sense or simply charging with hormones, steriods and stimulants) endemic.

As for a 'safer' type of performance enhancing drug....it'll never exist because there'll always be something bigger, badder and more potent calling riders to the dark side.