Bob Dylan Modern Times

HolyStitt

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, haven't heard but I recently heard a song on the radio that I thought would be from the Dylan, sounded great, great slide guitar...a bit more leaning to the rock'n roll side.. wow, I immeadiately liked

...until I finally found out that it is from the new Tom Petty CD....which is now on my wishlist instead..sorry Bob, try next time

Cheers, Tjobbe

Just got through my first listen, and I am really, really happy with this one. Its a powerful album. I have to give it a few more listens to be sure, but its sounding like this is my favorite of his "trilogy", which also encompasses "Time Out of Mind" and "Love & Theft".

no, haven't heard but I recently heard a song on the radio that I thought would be from the Dylan, sounded great, great slide guitar...a bit more leaning to the rock'n roll side.. wow, I immeadiately liked

...until I finally found out that it is from the new Tom Petty CD....which is now on my wishlist instead..sorry Bob, try next time

Cheers, Tjobbe

The Petty is great too! Two of the three surviving Wilburys have good CDs out. What's Jeff Lynne up to lately?

The Petty is great too! Two of the three surviving Wilburys have good CDs out. What's Jeff Lynne up to lately?

to what I got so far is that Lynne was working with Tom Petty on that recording....so basically that's why that track "Saving Grace" sounded familiar to me....

Originally I was a bit disappointed with the album, because it sounded so much like Love and Theft. (not that L and T is bad, its just that I already have one copy of it. I also much preffered Time out of Mind.)

After a few more listens Im really starting to LOVE this album. Working Mans Blues is just awesome. Nettire Moore and Aint Talkin are also great.

Im glad Bob is still with us and still makes high quality and relevant music.

Working Man Blues - yes!

To me it sounds much simpler and straighter (and more acoustic) than Love and Theft. I love both that one and Time out of Mind - can't compare them really, Time is much more about a specific (production-)sound and about moods, no? Love and Theft then has the organ and keys in which make it different from Dylan's live music (and allows the band to sound so great on the terrific Charlie Patton song).

The new one is more straight, sounds almost like it could have been done in a day (I mean that in a good way).

First time through I was a little underwhelmed till I got to the last 3 tracks. Then played it again from the beginning. Now after about 5 full play throughs I love it-- even if I do think that Dylan's starting to sound like Leon Redbone.

Was playing it when I drove back late last night from LA. It's great late night driving music.

Edited by medjuck

The edition for sale at Best Buy has a 100 pg book that comes with it free. Has anyone picked this up, and if so, is it worth buying the cd there for the book?

For the book, no. The book is nothing but album cover art from his Sony catalogue. For the price ($9.99), yes it is worth buying it there.

Shouldn't Bob give Muddy Waters half a songwriting credit on the songs where he uses the music for "Rollin' and Tumblin"--he uses the title of that one too--and "Trouble No More"? They are not just influenced by the originals--to my ears they are the originals with new lyrics. But nary a mention of McKinley Morganfield in the credits--shouldn't Muddy's estate get some money out of this?

hasn't Dylan always done that though? I don't remember if he gave credit on his early folk albums where he did a lot of songs that weren't his, but I seem to remember people discussing this same issue with Time Out of Mind and Love and Theft (although this "borrowing" was not as blatant as it is on Modern Times)

Shouldn't Bob give Muddy Waters half a songwriting credit on the songs where he uses the music for "Rollin' and Tumblin"--he uses the title of that one too--and "Trouble No More"? They are not just influenced by the originals--to my ears they are the originals with new lyrics. But nary a mention of McKinley Morganfield in the credits--shouldn't Muddy's estate get some money out of this?

Them maybe Muddy could call Elmore James and Elmore could call whoever he got it from.... :g

I've only listened to about 2/3rds of it, and like what I hear so far - some good lyrics, subtle vocals, given Dylan's frayed voice (I'm reminded of what Billie did in her late years - hope that's not heresy), and pretty subtle backing by his band - none of that "let me hit you over the head with the beat just in case you don't know where it is" drumming that's so prevalent these days.

I am bothered by the song borrowing. Dylan used to be a little bit more subtle. When he took "It Hurts Me Too" and turned it into "Pledging My Time", it wasn't quite so blatent. These days, it seems to be, let me do Lonnie Johnson's "Tomorrow Night" or the Mississippi Sheiks "Sitting On Top of the World", "I've Got Blood in my Eyes for You" and "The World Is Going Wrong" on Good As I Been to You and World Gone Wrong, call them "traditional/arranged by Dylan", and go with it. This time out, he's chosen more traditional material, but it still bothers my ears and sensibilities.

I do think that whover wrote and/or owns the copyright to "Red Sails in the Sunset" would do well to give a listen to "Beyond the Horizon" on Modern Times. The opening phrase is very close, to these ears.

I think that there are all kinds of issues about "borrowing" older songs, who really wrote them, etc. However, to my ears Dylan has blatantly stolen at least three copyrighted songs, "Red Sails in the Sunset", "Trouble No More" and "Rollin' and Tumblin'". The CD packaging says only, "all songs written by Bob Dylan".

As I have read recently on Blindman Blues Forum, in their thread on this issue, there were at least two places in the process of having this album released when Dylan would have had to take affirmative steps, and signed something, which explicitly stated that these songs were his compositions and no one else's.

Even if there are excuses/reasons for doing it, why would Dylan think it is right to do it?

He has championed early recording artists in print and on his radio show, at times becoming almost aggressive about his love of them. One would think that he would be sensitive to this issue, if anyone was.