NFL chat thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I should root for the Chargers to make it a road team sweep, which has got to be a first if it happens. Can anyone tell me if Bidwell or however you spell his name is still the owner of the Cards? I was in St. Louis when he masterminded that departure and I'd feel much better about rooting for Arizona if he doesn't benefit.

According to Wiki, which is probably reliable for this sort of thing, Bidwill is still owner, dating from 1972.

[Added] Steelers win and cover. I heard on the radio that 3 out of 4 road teams won in the divisional round, "for the first time since 1971."

Edited by T.D.

How 'bout that offensive play calling by the Giants? Way to completely lose faith in your QB! :g

Yeah well can you blame them? I've always been a staunch Eli defender, even at his worst, but yesterday's loss falls on his shoulders. They knew that Philly would stack the line now that they don't have to worry about Plaxico, but they still had a decent running game and defense. All they needed was for Eli to step up a bit with his passing and especially on 3rd downs.

So, um, now I have to root for the Cardinals? Ok, go Cardinals, then.

That Baltimore game was vicious. I actually cringed at how tense and violent it was. Awesome show.

How 'bout that offensive play calling by the Giants? Way to completely lose faith in your QB! :g

Yeah well can you blame them? I've always been a staunch Eli defender, even at his worst, but yesterday's loss falls on his shoulders. They knew that Philly would stack the line now that they don't have to worry about Plaxico, but they still had a decent running game and defense. All they needed was for Eli to step up a bit with his passing and especially on 3rd downs.

Eli's lack of arm strength was really struggling with the wind, but I still think you've got to mix things up if you expect to make first downs and move the ball down the field. A defense as good as Philly's isn't going to let you run four downs in a row for ten yards--plus the Giants needed to score quickly, not grind out a drive...

Go Cards.

According to Wiki, which is probably reliable for this sort of thing, Bidwill is still owner, dating from 1972.

[Added] Steelers win and cover. I heard on the radio that 3 out of 4 road teams won in the divisional round, "for the first time since 1971."

Thanks, T.D. I guess I'll still root for the Cards, but a bit less enthusiastically.

The Cardinals host the NFC Championship game...I doubt a single person predicted that at the beginning of the season.

And to think that the Cards sold out their first home playoff game in 61 years two weeks ago only after getting two deadline extensions from the NFL.

Drat! Now that the Charges are out, the only team left for me to root for in order to spite Jerry Jones is....

....gulp....

...the Eagles. But at least it spites T.O. in the process.

Al - You can root for ANY of the teams left. They ALL beat Dallas this season, LOL. Granted the 'Boys beat the Eagles early in the season, but now in retrospect that had to have been an aberration; their real character showed up in the season ending smackdown in Philly.

Despite missing playoffs this year, the Patriot coaching/management aura hasn't lost any luster: Broncos hire 32-year-old (!) offensive coordinator McDaniels to replace Shanahan as HC.

Pain in the rear for Patriot fans.

These coaches haven't exactly had a terrific record after leaving the Pats. I'm kind of high on McDaniels though. The latest trend in the NFL is to go young with your coaches, and we've had several fine ones recently. I think of Jim Harbaugh, Ken Wisenhunt, Mike Tomlin, and the Dolphin's coach as good examples. Mangini is also young, but he sucks! ;)

Al - You can root for ANY of the teams left. They ALL beat Dallas this season, LOL. Granted the 'Boys beat the Eagles early in the season, but now in retrospect that had to have been an aberration; their real character showed up in the season ending smackdown in Philly.

Oh man, I hadn't even realized that.

I know as Giants fan, I'm supposed to hate the Eagles more than any other team, but there's a separate level of ire I hold towards the Cowboys. When Philly beat up on Dallas, I was cheering as loud as any Eagles fan.

I supposed my karmic evil was returned this weekend. Oh well.

Despite missing playoffs this year, the Patriot coaching/management aura hasn't lost any luster: Broncos hire 32-year-old (!) offensive coordinator McDaniels to replace Shanahan as HC.

Well, Jed York, the new owner/VP of strategy of the Niners and John & Denise's son is 27 + Jon Gruden was 31 when he coached the Raiders. Not to mention Theo Epstein...

Edited by trane_fanatic

Pain in the rear for Patriot fans.

These coaches haven't exactly had a terrific record after leaving the Pats. I'm kind of high on McDaniels though. The latest trend in the NFL is to go young with your coaches, and we've had several fine ones recently. I think of Jim Harbaugh, Ken Wisenhunt, Mike Tomlin, and the Dolphin's coach as good examples. Mangini is also young, but he sucks! ;)

Lane Kiffin (ex-Raiders, now U of Tenn.) was really young, even younger than McDaniels iirc, when he got hired by the Raiders. I honestly don't know where he fits in, as it's difficult to assess the performance of coaches in the bizarro Al Davis environment. Kiffin did get rehired by a major college, but then so did Bill Callahan...

Rumors in Dallas have Jason Garrett being announced as the Rams head coach tomorrow. If that turns out to be true, it will get interesting in Dallas. He was the heir-apparent head coach, and Wade Phillips doesn't have much hold over the team currently. And the 'Boys fired DC Brian Stewart today too.

There is some speculation that Mike Shanahan comes in to replace Phillips and run the offense, and maybe someone like Dom Capers coming in to be DC.

I doubt it happens like that, but I'd take those two over the current coaches for sure.

Edited by Aggie87