NFL chat thread

Good point. A lot of NFL QBs would have rung up big numbers throwing to the Rams (in their heyday) or current Cardinal receiving corps. McNabb, OTOH, has been saddled with mostly pedestrian receivers. I've always kind of liked McNabb (considering that I'm a fan of a divisional rival club), but have to concur with the popular assessment that his passing accuracy is not at the highest NFL level.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what pisses me off the most about this loss?? It's that McChoke and Reid will be back next year and we have to pick after the Cowboys. We're just not going to win a Super Bowl w/ these two. It would have been better if they had missed the playoffs altogether. That way we could have cleaned house and started the rebuilding process. Now we have to wait another year before they hire someone else.

Sigh...

Donovon McChoke is totally incapable of winning a big game. I don't think he ever will.

Speaking of offenses, I am never all that impressed with the Steelers offense. They sometimes seem slugglish to me, I thought they played rather poorly when the game was 16-14 - what was that 3rd and 1 pass at midfield out of the shotgun all about? (not to mention the near misses by their punter). Even the Steelers fans were booing. Big Ben and the O rarely light up the scoerboard big time, but they seem to do just enough to win the game. Ben generally is able to avoid the big mistake or turnover, and sometimes he gets lucky, like that floater that went for a TD. But I'm guessing that Steelers offense is really going to click against the Cardinals defense. I'm thinking this could be one of those boring blow-out Super Bowls, especially if Hines Ward plays.

Edited by John Tapscott

You know what pisses me off the most about this loss?? It's that McChoke and Reid will be back next year and we have to pick after the Cowboys. We're just not going to win a Super Bowl w/ these two. It would have been better if they had missed the playoffs altogether. That way we could have cleaned house and started the rebuilding process. Now we have to wait another year before they hire someone else.

Sigh...

Well it would be crazy to fire a coach and get rid of a QB that brought you to the NFC Championship game but I at the same time ( I say this not as an Eagles fan) it has to feel like the team under achieved all year. I think Philly fans are in their right to put pressure on ownership to make changes.

The Steelers secondary is one of the best I have ever seen, I think the SB will be a blowout but I said the Cardinals would get blown out against the Panthers and Eagles and I was wrong, good thing I don't bet on sports anymore.

The wild card in this game will be Whisenhut and his familiarity with the Steelers.

Good point. Don't forget that Arizona defeated the Steelers last year @AZ. I remember watching the game. It was a tough big hitting game. This Super Bowl might be more interesting than we imagine. On paper, the Steelers should be big favorites, but Whisenhunt knows the Steelers very well.

FWIW, I have, and have long had, a totally irrational but deeply visceral hatred of Kurt Warner.

The only issue I have with him is saying Jesus let him win and it was Jesus who brought him there. Did Jesus want the Eagles to lose? I'm a religious person however I don't like the evangelical overtures that Warner professes on national TV.

Everything points to a big Steelers victory in the upcoming Super Bowl. That said, one thing you just can't count out is Kurt Warner. Love him/hate him, the man is playing with a huge amount of confidence right now and has played on the big stage and shouldn't in no way be underestmated. Looking forward to a competitive game.

FWIW, I have, and have long had, a totally irrational but deeply visceral hatred of Kurt Warner.

The only issue I have with him is saying Jesus let him win and it was Jesus who brought him there. Did Jesus want the Eagles to lose? I'm a religious person however I don't like the evangelical overtures that Warner professes on national TV.

Yeah, well, he doesn't come across as the sharpest pencil in the box, and his religious sound bites are pretty much just quick memorized phrases. And it's certainly not as though he's the only player in the NFL to share his religious convictions every time he wins a game.

Dungy is the man they all ought to emulating on that score. His actions speak volumes louder than their words, IMO.

And I'll still take a fired-up Warner over a giggling McNabb any day. I could just tell watching that game, with Warner it was all business all day. Not so much with McNabb, who was also not real accurate with his throws. And yes, he does have receivers who drop very catchable passes, too. Maybe that plays into what seems to me to be his "whatever" demeanor on the field.

I like him. Maybe he should get out of philly.

The wild card in this game will be Whisenhut and his familiarity with the Steelers.

Good point. Don't forget that Arizona defeated the Steelers last year @AZ. I remember watching the game. It was a tough big hitting game. This Super Bowl might be more interesting than we imagine. On paper, the Steelers should be big favorites, but Whisenhunt knows the Steelers very well.

Whisenhunt will be super-motivated to beat the Steelers, since they passed him over as HC candidate in favor of Tomlin. But I dunno how much of that he'll be able to transmit to the players...

Back to Warner, I always found his vitriolic outbursts when other QBs (Manning, Leinart) were given playing time somehow inconsistent with his Christian blathering. (And I'm a churchgoer, though certainly not of Warner's denomination.)

I think it will be an exciting SB but I believe that the Steelers will win handlily. Regarding Warner and other athletes who thank their savior- if it helps them to play ball that's fine- people use different tools for motivating themselves- I'm more private in my convictions and I believe actions speak louder than words.

.... the Steelers will win handlily.

I agree.

This is going to be a real snoozer of a Super Bowl.

Regarding Warner and other athletes who thank their savior- if it helps them to play ball that's fine- people use different tools for motivating themselves- I'm more private in my convictions and I believe actions speak louder than words.

Exactly.

Jesus had absolutely nothing at all to do with the NFC Championship game.

He would have had the Niners winning that game if he did :g

Edited by GoodSpeak

I agree.

That's the exact same thing they said about the Wild Card round, the Divisional Round and the Conference Championship game...guess who won all 3?

:)

I never heard that, but the 8-8 Cards as the NFC representitive there is no reason to get excited.

Unless, of course, as and if the NFC West representitive actually wins....then it'll be a great game :g

Edited by GoodSpeak

I agree.

That's the exact same thing they said about the Wild Card round, the Divisional Round and the Conference Championship game...guess who won all 3?

I never heard that, but the 8-8 Cards as the NFC representitive there is no reason to get excited.

Unless, of course, as and if the NFC West representitive actually wins....then it'll be a great game :g

The Cards won their division at 9-7; they're now 12-7 and about as confident in themselves as any team could be. I wouldn't count them out.

I agree.

The Cards won their division at 9-7; they're now 12-7 and about as confident in themselves as any team could be. I wouldn't count them out.

I agree. They look really solid to me. They look a lot better at this point in their season than the Patriots did at the same point last year. Yet the Pats were favored. And they should have been. They were unbeaten. But the point is, it's not what you did in week 8, it's what you're doing right now, and right now the Cards look pretty damn good.

Kind of reminds me of the year the Bucs won it all. They were good, but not great. In the pack with the other top teams in the league. They just got on a roll late and had the good fortune of running into an imploding Raiders team. :excited:

edit: I went back and checked, and the Pats did get through the AFC playoffs fairly easily, so I may have overstated things a bit referencing New England, but there was a general consensus that they peaked too early, if one can say such a thing about a team that was undefeated to that point. :unsure:

Edited by papsrus

I agree.

I sure hope you're right, Dan.

I'm figuring on a Pittsburg win, but as an NFC [West] guy, I'll be pulling for the Cardinals.

Old habits die hard ^_^

Edited by GoodSpeak

edit: I went back and checked, and the Pats did get through the AFC playoffs fairly easily, so I may have overstated things a bit referencing New England, but there was a general consensus that they peaked too early, if one can say such a thing about a team that was undefeated to that point. :unsure:

What's the peak in an undefeated season? Pats were playing their best ball midseason, but then other teams started playing their hearts out in order to stop them.

Giants had a good deal of luck to win the Super Bowl game on the final drive. They had to survive a miracle non-interception, a miracle avoidance of a sack, and a miracle catch where the ball landed on the receivers midsection while he was flat on the ground.

I blame the football gods for the Giants victory. The Giants victory was deemed from above. It didn't really indicate any particular Patriots shortcomings.

What's the peak in an undefeated season? Pats were playing their best ball midseason, but then other teams started playing their hearts out in order to stop them.

Giants had a good deal of luck to win the Super Bowl game on the final drive. They had to survive a miracle non-interception, a miracle avoidance of a sack, and a miracle catch where the ball landed on the receivers midsection while he was flat on the ground.

I blame the football gods for the Giants victory. The Giants victory was deemed from above. It didn't really indicate any particular Patriots shortcomings.

Yes. You are right about the Super Bowl. But to their credit, the Giants hung in there and gave themselves a chance to win -- and they took it. Literally wrestled the championship out of the hands of the Patriots. But I do recall that the general consensus was that the Pats were not playing their best ball down the stretch of the regular season. Course, that's compared to them completely blowing other teams away earlier in the season. But their age at linebacker in particular began to show a bit.

No doubt the Cards are peaking right now, yes? Steelers are rolling, too. The game's got potential to be great, and you'd have to think the Cards certainly have the weapons and the schemes (not to mention the motivation) to hang in there and, just like the Giants, give themselves a chance to win it.

Edited by papsrus

The Cardinals have more than a puncher's chance to win. Their defense has been playing well and could do a good job of shutting down the Steelers, especially if Hines Ward is not healthy. On the other side of the ball I think the Steeler defense will have its hands full with the speed of Arizona. If Arizona gets behind, they can score very quickly and get back into the game. This could be a lot closer than predicted so far.