Celebreties at your gig

Soul Stream

I'm doing my gig Suday night...and I look in the front and see David Byrne from The Talking Heads. Then I look to my right and see Kurt Russell. That's a jarring combo to see 10 feet apart.

Any other musicians have any wierd celebrity sitings at their gigs.

Edited by Soul Stream

I'm doing my gig Suday night...and I look in the front and see David Byrne from The Talking Heads. Then I look to my right and see Kurt Russell. That's a jarring combo to see 10 feet apart.

:blink:

The more important question to me, Mike, is whether or not they seemed to dig what you were doing?

Limited brushes with greatness as I don't gig much, but...

Lee Iacocca in Detroit. I saw him at a Chrysler event in the ballroom I was performing at. He was in the buffet line about 10 feet away.

Maybe not weird, but In Toronto, for the party after the premiere of the film the English Patient (Author Michael Ondaatje lives in Toronto). Ralph Fiennes couldn't make it, but directors Norman Jewison, David Cronenberg, Saul Zaents and EP actress Juliette Binoche did. At one point, Juliette even sat next to me on the piano bench of the Steinway I was playing. :)

about 10-12 years or so ago I worked a party in Connecticut for William Styron's birthday, with Harold Danko on piano - at the party were Carly Simon and Miar Farrow. This was right after Mia's big fight with Woody Allen, with him sleeping with the daughter, with the divorce, the custody trial, etc. My suggestion to the band for the first song was "Woody and You." Nobody else seemed to think this was a good idea -

Edited by AllenLowe

On highly commercial gigs, Steven Spielberg, Quincy Jones, Flip Wilson, Ross Perot, Merv Griffin, James Baker, Randy White, Chuck Norris, & Prince Charles.

Not all at the same time I hope! :lol:

Actually, Spielberg & Q were together. It was a bigass society wedding wedding in Florence. They passed through. This wedding band I work with got hired to provide "Texas flavor". Don't ask, because I still don't know how or why. Don't want to know. :g

Merv & the Prince were together at the same gig too. this was in Albuquerque, and His Royal Earness was in town for some reason, and the locals were hosting a bigass reception M.C.ed by Merv. No matter how smarmy you think that guy is, he's even worse in person. This gig was in 1982 or 83, at the height of the first term Reagan recession, and this motherfucker's making poor people jokes, at which the prince & and the locals are all laughing. Fuck him, fuck Prince Charles, and fuck the Albuquerque ass-kissers who put on this event.

Except for the one who signed the check. :g

I played a party for Harrison Ford's personal assistant once, and he was there, along with Gerry Spence and a few other people whose names I can't remember. Ford was very cool. John Ritter came to a disco gig that I played in the early 90's. I once played after Paul Allen's band at a Blazer's gig. All the Blazers were there. I never really have enjoyed those commercial/corporate events, though...except the $, food and booze.

Playing a private party gig at a hotel ballroom, and we take a break. In the outer room, where the cocktails and hors d'oeurves had been served, there's Dom DeLouise picking over the leftovers (sounds like a cliche, but there you are). We chatted with him and he was friendly, and pretty subdued; definitely not "on".

Other gigs: Kris Kristofferson, Morgan Fairchild (back in the day :excited: ), Timothy Leary, Paul Schaffer, Willie Nelson, Carol Burnett, Florence Henderson. (Man, that list would make an excellent dinner party!)

At the gig, actually listening to the band (some of these were Woody Herman gigs): Harvey Korman (hung out), Kevin Spacey (sat in and hung out), Sam Kinison (hung out), Jack Lemmon (sat in), Jack Nicholson, Andie McDowell, Melanie Griffith, Harry Connick, John Cusack, Clint Eastwood. Also the guys who played the Chicago detectives in "The Fugitive" used to hang out at the Green Mill every now and then.

Just "in the room", not really paying attention to the band: Michael Jordan, Robert DeNiro, Madonna (pretty much everyone else in the room also stopped paying attention to the band when these folks walked in). :)

:blink:

The more important question to me, Mike, is whether or not they seemed to dig what you were doing?

Yeah Dan! David Byrne sat right up front the entire set and visibley dug it, really listening hard and not talking to anyone, he gave us 100% of his attention..head bobbing..applauding, and left a big tip. Kurt Russell I just saw in the room and he just seemed to be having a good time watching the band and hanging out. Music celebs that have been out in the last few weeks and been real nice and dug the band have been Fiona Apple, Joan Jett, the drummer for Blondie (I forget his name..but raved about how much he dug the group). The place where I have my gig is fairly new and is turning into a hang for celebs when there in town. Alot of these folks may not have ever seen an organ trio, so they really seem to get into it for the most part. This gig is really a lot of fun. (The Stones are in town next week so I'm crossing my fingers :g )

Just "in the room", not really paying attention to the band: Michael Jordan..

That reminded me that Jim and I did a gig at a function for Magic Johnson, back in our MSU days. He was cool enough.

Wow Mike! Sounds like a hip gig you've got going there!

Just "in the room", not really paying attention to the band: Michael Jordan..

That reminded me that Jim and I did a gig at a function for Magic Johnson, back in our MSU days. He was cool enough.

Wow Mike! Sounds like a hip gig you've got going there!

Yeah, Joe...it's really turning into something! I dig it alot. So nice to have a good gig. Especially since it wasn't that long ago I thought about quitting as I couldn't get anything together and the places to play just didn't seem to be all that plentiful. So I'm really grateful.

Limited brushes with greatness as I don't gig much, but...

Lee Iacocca in Detroit. I saw him at a Chrysler event in the ballroom I was performing at. He was in the buffet line about 10 feet away.

Maybe not weird, but In Toronto, for the party after the premiere of the film the English Patient (Author Michael Ondaatje lives in Toronto). Ralph Fiennes couldn't make it, but directors Norman Jewison, David Cronenberg, Saul Zaents and EP actress Juliette Binoche did. At one point, Juliette even sat next to me on the piano bench of the Steinway I was playing. :)

That couldn't have been all bad!

juliette_binoche_150.jpg

My contract stipulated that I was required to keep both hands on the piano at all times. (Though Hines' style octaves got me closer in the right hand).

Now we need to establish how close DukeCity got to Morgan Fairchild.

Sadly, not very close. It was a huge hotel ballroom for some kind of big charity event. She was pretty much surrounded at all times, but we did try to meander over to her corner of the room for a closer look. You know, real cool like... :cool:

Hmmmm

Well before Jim and I were in Root Doctor they played for Clinton...does that count? :)

I once played for Jeffrey Feiger (attorney for Jack Kevorkian) at the state democratic convention.

We played for Mitch Albom (Tuesday With Morrie) on his radio program...

I don't know, I think soul stream has a celebrity stream goin' there!

Hard to compete with that.

Our drummer said in his last band, Ted Nugent showed up and wanted to sit in. His boss Duke Tomato said "but we don't know any of your songs". To which Uncle Ted replied "well I know all of your's". Wasn't a love fest...

Oh, Johnny Cash's guitarist (somebody from the Carter family) sat in...

but in the audience..I don't know...I play with my eyes closed. :cool:

Hmmmm

Well before Jim and I were in Root Doctor they played for Clinton...does that count? :)

I once played for Jeffrey Feiger (attorney for Jack Kevorkian) at the state democratic convention.

We played for Mitch Albom (Tuesday With Morrie) on his radio program...

I don't know, I think soul stream has a celebrity stream goin' there!

Hard to compete with that.

Our drummer said in his last band, Ted Nugent showed up and wanted to sit in. His boss Duke Tomato said "but we don't know any of your songs". To which Uncle Ted replied "well I know all of your's". Wasn't a love fest...

Oh, Johnny Cash's guitarist (somebody from the Carter family) sat in...

but in the audience..I don't know...I play with my eyes closed. :cool:

Greg_Duke Tomato should have just told Nugent to piss off. BTW have you heard Duke Tomato's new cd?

DAVID BYRNE ?!?!??!?!?!?!?!? that is SO cool!!!!!! ive met him b4 too! i would of been so nervous playing in front of HIM out of all people. ive also met morgan fairchild- i made her a cd, but i really wasn't impressed w/ her body, she really needs one of them, what you call it, one of them reverse-boob-jobs, you know what im talking about....she doesnt have her 1983 frame anymore :(