Bob Dylan corner

mjzee

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Wallace

I just watched a wonderful movie, "North Country" (about womens' travails working in a North Minnesota mine.)

The soundtrack is full of (mainly country-period) Dylan. And the songs aren't just slapped on anywhere - thought went into the positioning of score to the plot.

But the track that actually mentions "North Country" -of course, "Girl From The North Country"- is unfortunately sung by some other artist.

Why Dylan? Because, as you all know, he came out of Hibbing, Minnesota.

Ive always thought Dylan's best tune ever was "North Country Blues" (even though, as I understand it, he took the tune from a witnessed Martin Carthy performance in London - and Carthy took it from old English folkmusic.)

The lyrics here are perfect. The endless spiral of community poverty. The melancholy and spirit-sucked-dry delivery; haunting/powerful.

Strange that they did NOT use this song in the movie since it IS sung from a woman's perspective (and the main character is a struggling mom) and it is about the collapse of the mining industry in Minnesota.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting stuff in the Dylan Digest that was mentioned in the SH Forum. Looks like a mono box set for the first eight albums is in the works, with a new bootleg series, and most interesting, it looks like Dylan is going to get the full-blown Complete Album treatment -- forty albums. My wallet will be taking a major hit if this is all true, I would especially love a remastered Complete Album set.

Click here for the article

Gotta tip my hat (if I were wearing one) to the music industry. After not getting SACD or DVD-A to fire up sales, nor have 5.1 become the get all either, now they're finding ways to make money with vinyl and mono mixes. :-) Though blu-ray is forward looking. And I still want my 5.1 mono.

Gotta tip my hat (if I were wearing one) to the music industry. After not getting SACD or DVD-A to fire up sales, nor have 5.1 become the get all either, now they're finding ways to make money with vinyl and mono mixes. :-) Though blu-ray is forward looking. And I still want my 5.1 mono.

I'm a hopeless Dylan fan boy, so I'm interested in the mono box. I would love to have the first eight lps in mono, especially JWH, which sounds so much better in mono than stereo (though I would also love a Blue Trane mono cd, but that's another story). Even though I have all forty cds that would go into a Complete Album box, still, I would love just having nice, clean graphics of the original lps, all of them remastered. The Bootleg I can do without, I think Columbia has really missed the boat on that series, there are so many great Dylan concerts that should be released, there are just too much studio outtakes for my taste.

Edited by Matthew

if this is going to be the latest installment of the Bootleg Series, then it's gotta be the least exciting one so far. Of all the possible things to release, they are choosing early demos?? Really? No thanks.

I agree overall and would much rather get some live stuff, but there are some interesting demos out there that, if included, would sway me to buy it. The first take of "sad eyed lady" where they are making it up as it goes along would be one track that would do it for me.

if this is going to be the latest installment of the Bootleg Series, then it's gotta be the least exciting one so far. Of all the possible things to release, they are choosing early demos?? Really? No thanks.

I agree overall and would much rather get some live stuff, but there are some interesting demos out there that, if included, would sway me to buy it. The first take of "sad eyed lady" where they are making it up as it goes along would be one track that would do it for me.

The one that a lot of people are waiting for, and could also be heavily marketed thru NPR etc. is a complete (or near) Basement Tapes. Not that it'd be any better than what circulates, but given all of the mythicizing that goes on with the session they'll almost run the risk of making potential buyers nauseous from all of the talking heads blathering on about it.

At least one show from his born again phase sounds so great as is I doubt any work would have to be done it, so I wonder if it's practically ready to be released but they're waiting for the results of the 2012 election, or if news comes of an asteroid that's going to come close to earth. ;)

I'd like to hear the electric stuff in mono (BIABH -> JWH). But the first 4 albums? I can't imagine that mono would make them any different.

Agreed, but I'll still get it anyway. I've never heard the first four

Check out the astonishing artistic growth between albums one and two. And then the turn from album 3 (political themes) to 4 (inward pursuits). Album 4 ("Another Side Of...") really laid the groundwork for much of the rock lyrics of the 2nd half of the Sixties.

Sundazed has released Dylan's albums through John Wesley Harding in mono. I already had mono versions of most of his early records. Wore out my Blonde on Blonde years ago & replaced it with a Sundazed version, & never saw a Columbia mono version of JWH, so I picked up that one. Sound on both is fine - both beat out the Columbia stereo LP versions I had.

Sundazed has released Dylan's albums through John Wesley Harding in mono. I already had mono versions of most of his early records. Wore out my Blonde on Blonde years ago & replaced it with a Sundazed version, & never saw a Columbia mono version of JWH, so I picked up that one. Sound on both is fine - both beat out the Columbia stereo LP versions I had.

Definitely something to keep in mind once the price of the box is announced. Hopefully it'll be a *little* more affordable than another recent mono box by an artist of significant stature. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Press release about the October releases of the Whitmark Demoes Bootleg Series two cd set, and the Mono lp box set.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/bob-dylans-the-witmark-demos-set-for-october-19-release-along-with-first-re-release-of-the-original-mono-recordings-101378479.html

These are now available for preorder on Dylan's site and amazon.com

• 4 weeks later...

Got an interesting email today. I've pre-ordered "The Witmark Demos" from Amazon. They sent this email:

"We're writing to let you know you'll receive a Bonus CD with your recent order.

"Bob Dylan: In Concert, Brandeis University, 1963" has never been heard, bootlegged or circulated in any way and will arrive to you with the CD you've ordered."

Wowwee! I wasn't expecting this.

Got an interesting email today. I've pre-ordered "The Witmark Demos" from Amazon. They sent this email:

"We're writing to let you know you'll receive a Bonus CD with your recent order.

"Bob Dylan: In Concert, Brandeis University, 1963" has never been heard, bootlegged or circulated in any way and will arrive to you with the CD you've ordered."

Wowwee! I wasn't expecting this.

The Brandeis bonus CD is apparently an Amazon exclusive, and is being given out with both the Witmark set and the mono box.