Herbie Mann

Jazz Kat

Herbie Mann was also exploring some interesting territory right before he died, with his "Eastern European Roots" album, and similar material being played in concert. I saw him live shortly before he died, and he talked about his interest in exploring his Eastern European Jewish heritage. He said that in his career, he had played about every style of music he could think of, except the music of his own family. Both live and on the CD, I found this music to be among the most interesting of his career.

"Hold On I'm Comin'" (mentioned way above) is one of his strongest (Mann agreed with me on this when I brought it up) - recorded live at (for the most part) Yankee Stadium. The mood of the crowd (huge and diverse) was almost electric, and the audience was into it from the opening bars - you really can feel it on the album.

No one's mentioned "Memphis Two-Step" - that album seems to have disappeared. Nice, spacey version of "Come Together."

Has anyone mentioned my favorite?

herbie.jpg

Circa 1966-67.

Superb arrangements by Arif Mardin.

Man does that cover ever bring back memories. I was in college in those days and my girlfriend had that LP. It was one of the first jazz albums I ever listened to. I haven't heard it in over 35 years but I remember it as being beautiful. Thanks for the memories.

Unlike many jazz albums from period that fell onto either the commercial or artistic side of the fence, this one has it all. Groovy chillout background music if that's what you want, or something you can sink your teeth into if you're giving it your undivided. Gorgeous arrangements and instrumental textures, using jazz and turkish instruments.

He did a similar album called the "Wailing Dervishes" soon after, which is also recommended.

The good news is that they have both been reissued on CD.

The bad news is they have been reissued on Collectibles, and the two albums were not paired together. Collectibles does not know how to do twofer reiussues.