Was There Agreement On

Dan Gould

I think Rooster brought this up in one of the early blindfold threads but I don't think there was any real discussion.

Is it "OK" to slip in an artist if that artist is really quite extremely, totally, 100% obscure, yet obviously talented and with his own conception? Basically, the artist who it is virtually impossible to identify unless you own the album the tune comes from (or maybe, just maybe, if you've heard him live (the artist I am thinking of is definitely obscure, no reissues, but still does currently perform). Is it fair to make people guess when the answer will bring about a big "WHO?"

I think anything's fair game with the blindfold test.

( Though it wouldn't be much fun to have a blindfold test made up of entirely obscure players. )

But if somebody wants to slip in a few total unknowns into their test, I wouldn't have a problem with that. One or two, or maybe as many as three cuts (at most) out of 10 or 15 -- sure, why not??

And certainly there's gonna be cuts where maybe the lead soloist (and leader of the date) is really, really obscure (almost totally unknown) - but maybe there's one or more well known sidemen on the date.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, obscurity is relative.

I've just received disc #2 and it's all obscure to my ears! I havn't a clue!

Which is exactly how I like it. I'm hoping to widen my experience in listening to these discs.

Dan's wonderful disc will be getting regular plays in the car. When I know who everyone is I'll probably be seeking out a few players on it.

Let's hear the Australians!!!

If the music is worthy and I believe we're all reasonable in that regard, then nothing is offbounds. From what I've heard of the discs from Tony and Dan, the music is outstanding. I don't see this so much as a game as a way to broaden my ears and a good way to pick up some more music. Already, I've got a bee line on Zbigniew Namyslowski's Lola cd.

Already, I've got a bee line on Zbigniew Namyslowski's Lola cd.

Brad, you're makin' me smile! One of my unvocalized missions with the first CD was to convert at least a couple of folks to the "Zbigniew Zone" (hey, that might make a good title for a discussion thread about him!), and it sounds like you've been sucked into the vortex...enjoy the ride! B)